Make Wine

hughdogz

The idea of making wine from Cranberries is interesting.  However, if you add enough sugar to allow fermentation, it would be more like Cranberry flavored beer.  Cranberries have a lot of Vitamin C which retards the growth of yeast and other molds.  Reminds me of the old recipies for Dandelion Wine.  Fleischmans makes a line of yeast aimed towards wine and beer making as opposed to bread and rolls so it might be worth checking into.  Don't use bread specified yeast!  Too weak.  I wonder if Sho Chiku Bai would sell you some of their Sake yeast?

I don`t know anything about wine making but when they bought an old bog that had only been half picked for years,, ( to far for old people to get out to ) it was days and days of use on the machines ( on the clean bogs) before the fermented wine like smell went away... That`s why i posted,, that, and the berries in question go to waste every year... But it might have just been a rotting smell not a fermenting... My dad, brother-in-law and brothers send samples in daily during the harvest season to check sugar levels in the different fields and once the sugar gets to high they start tasting like crap to me..

They make blackberry wine and i looked it up and google says they have

blackberry = 7 grams of sugar per cup,,,

cranberrys have 4 grams.

Blackberry ,,, vitamin C = 30.2 mg  per cup

cranberry,,, vitamin C = 13.3 mg  per cup

(disclaimer)

THESE ARE GOOGLE-d   not exact,,  or,, even known numbers by me.... like i said i don`t know anything about wine making,,,, so you are probably righter than me. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic