Windshield replacement???

CorAce

I have an opportunity to get a good used windshield for my dime at a reasonable price. What I want to know is how hard is it to replace. Any tips, trick, products I should use. I would be saving about $200 by doing it myself. But if I break it I'm out a car until I can save up the money again (Months). Any of you guys in the PDX area willing to help for a bunch of cheap (PBR:D)beer?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My father has ran a body shop my whole life, and let me just say, whenever you can get a professional glass man to install your windsheild, do it.

That being said, $200 seems a bit steep. I'd shop around. I know I'm in a totally diff section of the country, but I can't see it being that much of a price diff. The last glass we had installed was around 50 bucks.

Let me just say that if you do it yourself, cutting one out is never fun. Unless the thing is so old the seal is competely gone.

You will a long handled box knife. Not cheapy with the breakable blades.

The Windshield goop and prep. alot of time in the dry.

Good luck.

Saving $200 seem a bit excessive. Can you save less money? :-)

Tips from my glassman:

* Don't get a new seal unless yours is unusable. Old ones work better, less chance of breaking the glass

* Soften the rubber in hot water or in a box with a light bulb. Got it warm and soft

* Use a bit of soapy water with the cord to ease the glass in

* Be patient. Very patient. Take two hours if need be.

The chances of breaking the glass are fairly high. I think we've all done it once if we've installed a few windshields...

i did mine about two weeks ago.... just like a vw....... get some braided 1/4" nylon rope ( thats smooth ) i also used an old broken screwdriver that i rounded the tip off to help pry without tearing the seal........ like mentioned above... put the seal in hot water for about 25-30 mins.... then soak with soapy water ( keep some on hand to keep it wet) wrap seal around glass...wrap rope around seal in groove that body sits into..... overlap at bottom of glass ( about a foot or more on each side ). lay glass in position..... get inside car..... then slowly pull rope into car, SLOWLY to make sure you dont tear seal, break rope, and that seal is wrapping itself over metal lip...... when you get to corners.... get out of car..... and put light pressure on corner of glass as you pull rope inward with other hand ( not neccessary but helped me ) thats really about all there is to it..... and keep seal and rope lubed helps.... anyone car to add or subtract info feel free ( oh and took me about 45 mins by myself being pokey casue i didnt want to mess it up

Wow thats perfect, I didn't even now where to start. do I need any glue or some thing like that, or is it just pressure fit?

Zen,

I like your idea as well.

My fear is that if it brakes I'm F#@%ED.:blink:

If I pay full price for a shop to do it they can brake as meany as they want.

Edited by CorAce

If they break it and don't have another on hand, you're still F'd.

Bottom line...don't break it!

Just go slow. Watch that the rubber doesn't get too tight around the cord and get torn. Don't push in on the glass so hard that it holds the rubber too much on the outside of the metal or it may tear the rubber as you pull the cord out trying to get the rubber to flip over the metal. Basically, you're trying to roll the lip of the rubber from the outside of the metal lip to the inside. When you set the glass into the frame, you put the metal lip in the rubber groove where it's supposed to be when installed. It will be sitting on the rope. As you pull the rope for the first foot where it's overlapped, it will just be pulling out since the rubber is already over. As youget to where the rubber is on the outside...that's where the fun begins....go slow. If you lose it....the rope gets pulled and the rubber is still outside.....start over.

I was more worried about screwing up the rubber than breaking the glass. Make sure your glass has no nicks around the edge that would creat a weak point for a crack to start. If you find any...pay the shop :)

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Is it the original windshield in your car? If it is chances are you will not be able to save the gasket..Pita to get out

Going around the corners as you pull the wire or rope,do so in a circular motion alot less chance of damaging the rubber..

Dish soap helps in these areas (lube)

Back fill the rubber to body with butyl.

ggzilla,

I got the ratsun glass now... shooting for realm status:lol:

510freak,

It is OEM, but I got more time than money so it can take as long as it needs to.

So it sounds like I sould be more worried about the seal than the glass, where can I get a good quality seal? I would like to replace the rear as well, if this go'es well. What is bulyl?

Black butyl rubber sealant comes in a caulking tube. It's not for the glass! But you can use it between the frame and the seal if there are any obvious flaws in the sheet metal. Some people use it on the glass but it rarely helps and makes a mess. Same with clear silicone rubber sealant.

Oh and by "light pressure" on the glass they mean "feather lite". The glass is most likely to crack (in my experience) when you put a little pressure on it, like press with one hand...

In my state the insurance companies have to replace your windshied for free if you get it broken for any reason.

I know of people that have thrown a rock at it and thern said it happened while driving.

This way you will get it done for free.

I have not done it, And I wont. I know it is insurance fruad, but people do do it.

as for a good seal...... there is a gentleman on here that sells them..... also datsunlandsocal.com

new-datsun-parts.com

too intese restoration as well ( no back rubber )

and then there is ebay out of singapore so you can wait the 30 days to get it haha

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I would source a "gasket" before trying to get it out.

I recall that the oem ones have a urethane(or it at least seems like it is that stuck) strip around the outer edge of the windshield rubber,This is what makes it pita to get out.(going from memory been a few years since I have installed a 510 windshield)

As to butyling it like ggzilla says,No need to do the glass to rubber ,But body to rubber,Pay special attn to the top(header panel),and a pillars when sealing.

This is where leaks occur.

Try it but, you could probably get a new one installed for less than $250. It's a lot of money if you don't have it.

Go talk to the the guys at Apple Auto Glass on SE MLK. They do great work and might talk you through it. Then when you break it, you know who to talk to.

Good luck and don't force it. Glass gets more brittle with age and windshields crack just at the last few inches just when you think you are going to get it in.

• 1 month later...

I am still kinda confused after reading this post a couple times.

I've been looking on youtube etc on how to replace windshields... I'm guessing the modern way is NOT how the Datsuns are setup? Cuz it looks as simple as "put the adhesive in", "put the glass in", "tape", "let dry" and put molding back on.

Does somebody have a picture perhaps?

I can get a replacement seal pretty cheap here:

http://www.technologylk.com/crl-windshield-gasket-1973-1978-datsun-truck-fcw271-lk-WBL271.html

And I can buy a brand new windshield from a glass place for around $125. Like somebody else asked... is there any adhesive involved or is it just a pressure fit? If somebody has documented with pictures I would really like to take a gander. It's probably really simple and I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill here.

===

EDIT:

I stumbled on a site looking for some Butyl... is this what you were talking about:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5443659_instructions-auto-windshield-replacement.html

BTW, I found a good site for weather strip and even replacement rear windows

http://www.technologylk.com/__650/automotive-products.html

Edited by deadmonkey
  • 4 weeks later...

Newer windshields are lain in place on a bed of adhesive. Our "real" windshields use a rubberlike seal inserted between the glass and the steel body. The seal floats in between, and if your are lucky it doesn't leak. Yes, there is a difference between what you have been reading and older autos.

some issues w/aftermarket(china) windshields is that they are 1/16" - 1/8" thinner than OEM, and the seals, also aftermarket, are made to OEM thickness specs.

they seem to deform (leak) along the pillars more than the top or bottom.

the shops here WILL NOT replace YOUR glass when they break it, but if they supplied it (= $$$$) then they will.

ive gotten pro quotes of $100 to install w/o the glass, so $250 inc glass is not excessive. +$75 for a seal.