Mad Cow! My 67 520.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

glad to hear that doord... ill be pulling it out in the next 2 or 3 weeks. the donor car is gettin an sr20 so its going from there to mine. just waiting on them to be ready. if you make it this way let me know. ill be moving but ill make time to meet up and kick it....

beebani ill keep my eye out for that. ill make sure i document everything so we have a how to for this truck.

and here is the 720 steering box for the rhd conversion!!!!

DSC02576.jpg

In the very bottom of the housing, just above the pitman arm is a seal that the sector shaft sticks down through. They are only $10 and well worth replacing while you have the arm off to prevent any future oil leaks. It would be best to do this with the sector shaft left in, as there are a double row of needle bearings supporting it, (32 per row) and they will fall out. I did this once and used grease to hold them when assembling, but it was a PITA. Maybe a small self tapping screw driven into the seal from below and yank it down and out. Installation is the easy part.

To get the pitman arm off I tightened a large two jaw, gear puller to it after removing the nut. Once as tight as possible, I carefully heated the arm only, until the grease on the shaft began to smoke and then gave it a sharp smack with a large hammer. The shaft and arm are a tapered spline and with tension from the puller, and the arm swelled slightly from the heat, all it needed was a jarring blow from the hammer and it jumped right off.

X your fingers. The P/S one didn't match my 620.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/280zPSbox.jpg[/img]"]280zPSbox.jpg

The one from this, inside the frame 280 Z did. I removed the sector shaft, rotated 180 and dropped into the 720 unit. I have a similar unit from a 200sx. If the splines don't match the 620 arm let me know. I could remove the sector shaft, and if it's the right fit you can have it.

Crap, you're in Fla! Well the offers there, I'd like to see this work!

If the spline does not fit, the sector shaft is easy to remove. Just take the 4 bolts out of the top and loosen the adjuster bolt, lift the top up. Once the large threads (knuckle?) clears the worm gear, the top slides off to the side and out comes the sector shaft for measuring. Do this over a pail to catch any oil, and more important the needle bearings. I'm assuming Nissan kept the std and power boxes similar in dimensions, after all, why not?.

im gonna try to mock iit in place this weekend if i get a break from moving. ill take some shots of it and post em. one thing i see is that i may have to cut my 520 column to mate it to the 720 shaft. only get one try cuz i know its not ez finding another.

The 521/620 is a one piece column with the worm gear on the end. You definitely will have to cut. The problem is the the shaft inside the tube will now be un-supported and will need a bearing. Mklotz said something about this once, the fix was a lot of work I think, see him. Plus you will have to weld the 720 spline on to mate to what you have on the box. I put the 720 column in instead.

thanks datrod. trying to get it there..... that was one thing i didnt think of datzen. ill be at the yard tomorrow pulling the 720 column out. and i did think of takin it with me but didnt. what if i loose the tube and just leave the shaft? leave it on the insise of the cab and weld the 720 shaft thats there with the column? at least it will be able to disconnect at the box now. i dunno. whats your takeon it?

thanks nook!!!!! I wanted to wait but saw em mounted and that was it....

Well, its a metal tube with a solid ror down the center. The top has a bearing about where the turn signals are and the bottom is supported in place by the box itself. The top of the tube is bolted to the dash with a U bolt. If you cut and trim the tube in the engine compartment it will flop around as it no longer has support at the bottom and will rub the rod in the center. You would have to build some sort of support for it and a bearing to support the inner shaft in the middle of the tube, as it's been cut as well.

Don't forget this is the steering and you sometimes have to 'lean' on it.

• 2 months later...

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!! well after quite some time without doing any work, and the holiday shopping out of the way, im finally getting my fat lazy ass to work on my toy. shes finally nice and comfy in her new quarters and being worked on. bed is off, suspension work is starting this week. im using short 16" bars for my 4link on top and bottom. is it ok to triangulate both lower and upper bars? im mounting the bags on the axle. also got my ka from a 93 hardbody. im using just the bottom end and head. the intake is from a 240. im only lookin to lay frame. also has anyone kicked around the idea of using a toyota front clip? here are some pics of the teardown. i have no rust anywhere on the frame thank god. and the bed is the same way.

DSC02820.jpg

new home

DSC02822.jpg

bottom end

DSC02823.jpg

both intakes and head

DSC02825.jpg

240 intake

DSC02836.jpg

DSC02835.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

DSC02842.jpg