1959 impala vs 2009 malibu

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the malibu did a whole lot better than the impala, you would think that the impala will do better, if you pay close attention, the dash board on the impala caved in and on the malibu's, it barely moved if anything, something else:confused:

On autoblog.com they said the anaylsts said the malibu driver sustained a knee injury and bel air driver died on impact

If the bel air driver had been drinking he would have lived and the other driver would have died :D

Have to admit that if the '59 had air bags and a seat belt it still wouldn't be good. The '09 has hardly any interior 'damage', the doors stayed closed, windshield stayed in and only cracked and roof stayed in place and did not collapse. How'd the fuzzy dice make out?

For me, it's just proof the GM built shit from day one.

Haven't found a 510 yet, but here's a 411 crash test. I think it would have faired much better than the '59.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKuIXeF8cqA

Watch past the first one, the first isn't full speed. The cabin area is much more intact, and most of the loose stuff flying around, including the dummy, could be easily solved with shoulder belts, which Nissan did start using, since my 510 has them, though not in the back. But if you look where it hits, the worst deflection in the 411 is the steering column. Not good, but everything else stays put though the seat moves. If a driver were there it wouldn't have moved as much.

Edited by HRH
That is really astounding. I don't think I fully appreciated the advances that have been made. The shot from inside the Malibu is very convincing. Any angle on the Impala is absolutely frightening. Makes me rethink relinquishing the Saab in favor of the B210...

yeah but the dont tell you anything about those enormous rust clouds that billow out of the bel air

so rusted old bel air vs. brand new car, who will win?:confused:

The engineers who crashed it say that the cloud wasn't rust, but built up grime that's impossible to clean with normal washes. They inspected the frame and structure beforehand to find it sound.

Also, it was a straight 6 equipped car if that makes any of you feel better.

sound maybe but what makes anyone think a 50 year old car would stand up to one built a year ago? it doesnt matter what manufacturer made it, there is no way to be sure if the owner(s) kept it maintained 100% of the time or if the car in that crash test was refurbished. I say it was unfair and a horrible waste of a beautiful car!!

i cant believe they purposly crashed a vintage impala!!:lol:

I don't dare send the link to my Dad that owns a 59 Impala that is in great original condition. He's having to sell off some of his toys, but the Impala will be the last to go if it reaches that point.

yeah but the dont tell you anything about those enormous rust clouds that billow out of the bel air

so rusted old bel air vs. brand new car, who will win?:confused:

i was wondering when this would come up i call bullshit on the gm engineers saying it was sound grime comes off they have media blasting they have many ways to not only take it off but take it off quickly and as has been stated 50 somthing year old car vs brand new with no rust this is why my 56 chevy will get all new steal in the floors and possibly a new frame