Let's talk whitewalls...

Show me what you are running on you Datsuns, or what you think looks really cool. Even those of us that run 17s or 18s...or 20s...can appreciate the old-school flavah of a whitewall. :cool:

I will start with the following as examples...not all of these cars and trucks are mine...o.k....actually only 1 of them is:D

Dodgevan2.jpg

1956porschecoupe2.jpg

aronde7bb.jpg

2005711046212cvkustom1fv3.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

SweetChev.jpg

zedra_1116143112_47.jpg

Datsun10.jpg

Lets see some pics!:)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some cars look ok with the skinny white walls, but im more of a fan of the wide white walls for some reason

on a rat rod, or salt flat or w/e. they just look better to me. Dont get me wrong, sometimes a rat rot or something does look better with skinny whites

I love talking whitewalls! Here are the shaved ones I run on my 521.

OilDrop2009small.jpg

This is how I imagine they will look on my 59 with some slot mags!

SlottedMags.jpg

The 58-60 looks to have come with some pretty wide whites according to this spec sheet.

l211.jpg

I have some great old Bias WWWs for the 21 Dodge. I was thinking about the same thing for the 59 Datsun, but I'll stick with the radial blacks for now. Gonna go Skinny whites on the Edsels. Coker carries the stock correct 500.15s WWWs for the 59.

Coker carries the stock correct 500.15s WWWs for the 59.

That was what I was thinking, but just read on the HAMB where people were having a hell of a time with the Coker Bias Ply stuff.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366341&highlight=scrotum

But in that thread there are a couple examples of radials that are getting pretty close to looking like bias ply! These are radial, Coker Classics. Unfortunately I didn't see that awesome tread pattern in a 165r15, 155r15 or 145r15.(closest matches for a 5.00x15) But they do have them in bigger sizes for those with taller needs.

The above totally-rad Coker Classic radials! The smallest they come in is 5.50r16 though. And $219 ea!!

coker-classic-radial-16.jpg

picture.php?albumid=4843&pictureid=76093

Coker has these in a 165r15. Still cool but more of a radial tread. $156 ea.

165r15-coker-classic-radial.jpg

Diamond back 1's are made in a 165/80r15. $159 ea.

hi_13.jpg

You'd think with all the VW guys out there Coker would have produced a smaller tire with that awesome tread. But maybe it is because VW and Datsun guys are usually broke and often could buy a whole car for the cost of one tire!:lol:

In the end I will probably wind up shaving some thin WW radials like I did for the 521.

Edited by fisch

No doubt my man! Heh I started that thread!:D

And with all the vw bugs out there, it shouldn't be too hard to dig up a set of thin whites.

But man it'd be nice to have that Bias Ply look!!

Yeah! Great responses! I love the wide whites on the old Datsuns! I wish that my thin whites would be the kind that I could sand down...they are not though. The raised section in absolutely ONLY as wide as the white part is now...meaning that I would be digging through the lower levels of sidewall...plus...the tires were free...which means that I feel better spending a bit of money on the next set.:D

Good tips on the Cooker tire site. I have seen that before...lots of money if you want nice tires eh?:cool:

Anyone else got some whitewall action?

Sears auto centers used to be able to special order modern radial but in wide white wall style tires in the old bias ply tread patterns. Has anyone checked out this option lately?

Really! That sounds very cool! How long ago we talking Mike?

Jumped over to the sears website, and they do have some interesting bias ply looking radials in their specialty tire section! Didn't see wide whitewall listed on the site, and no really small sizes, but maybe a dealer could get them!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Automotive_Tires_Specialty+Tires#viewItems=40&pageNum=1&sortOption=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER

09552884000?hei=180&wid=180&op_sharpen=1&qlt=75

09553198000?hei=180&wid=180&op_sharpen=1&qlt=75

Edited by fisch

I dropped my spare from under the bed last weekend to wash the mud off it and found it needed air. When I aired it up, I found the old worn tire was leaking at the bead, so last Monday I bought a new tire and had the tire shop mount it with the whitewall side out. I need to sand and repaint my rusty wheels, but I plan on having the tire shop also remount the road wheels with the whitewalls facing out. Then what to do about the rusty hubcaps...

Datsunwhitewalltire.jpg

Here's the whitewalls on my 65 Catalina 2 + 2:

DCP_1257.jpg

My 1960 SPL212

DSCF0790.jpg

QUOTE]

Awesome! Thats what I am talkin about! Sweet ride man! Looks like you have your hands full of some really nice Datsuns...with whitewalls....:cool:

:DThanks for the input.

I love the look on old rigs...espescially old imports...extra especially on old Datsuns.