Need a little help

Hi Guy's

Could anyone help me identify this engine?? My uncle made a wood splitter with it, but he does not remember what Model and year this Datsun engine came from. I need a water pump for it.

I found some numbers on the block there are two sets.

The first one say's Nissan Japan under that is 5............210 There is a space of 2 inches between the numbers 5 (space 2") 210 , that was at the bottom front of engine. closer to the back it has 7162SA...........M same as the front numbers there is a 2" space between the numbers and then the M. 7162SA (2"space) M the "S" in the number is a little rough could be a "5" I am not 100% positive on the S so it could be 71625A..........M That's it for numbers on the block.

If the engine is a 210, the water pump they showed me at the auto parts store was not the same, so I am stumped again right there. I have been to several parts store and have seen 6 different models that do not fit ( not the same) anything else will have to be ordered which they do not wish to do cause they say they will be stuck with the pump in stock ( just my luck) This is why I am trying very hard to find a model and year for this motor.

Thank you again

Greg

8_thumb.JPG

#7_thumb.JPG

9_thumb.JPG

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look on the passenger side of the block right under the sparkplug next to the firewall. It will say l 16, L 18 or L 20. Definately an L series motor & the water pumps should [may] be interchangeable.

Thanx

with your help I found this number where you said.

#L16 964766

would this give me a year and model?

All the L series (L16, L18, L20B four cylinder, L24, L26, L28 six cylinder) and Z series (Z20, Z22, Z24 four cylinder) motor's water pumps will interchange. If this is just a log splitter then any one will do, however some models have an integral clutch fan and the pulley on it may be a different diameter.

It's an L16 motor, and for the water pump, you can just ask for a pump from any car that had that motor. The 69-73 Datsun 510 had that motor; just ask for a water pump for any of those years in that car.

Thank you all for your help.

With the numbers L16 we ordered a pump for a 1971 510 and it came in as the same. With your help it took only a day to order and receive the part. Before i knew what it was I had seen 5 different water pumps and was getting discouraged.

Thank you agin for the help

Greg

• 1 year later...

Hey Guy's I am back

Same engine different problem.

my L 1600 comes with dual points and all the parts stores come with singles!!

so the 510 worked for the water pump but not for points!!

Think you guy's would know what model had the 2 sets of points??

thank you in advance

Greg

The 510 did have dual points... only the earlier ones used the single point dizzy. but you can use and entire distributor out of any L16 L18 or L20b 4cylinder car or truck... like something newer thats easier to get the parts you need in the future (like a 73-77 datsun pickup)

If you swap distributors, get the WHOLE thing... the dizzy, the plate, and the pedestal that mounts to the timing cover.

BUY FUCKING 2!!!!!!!

when you buy the points they will come in a single box. Meaning you have to buy 2 .But since this is a Log Splitter you only use the main set anyway since the other points in a car is the thrd gear switch.and you dont have a transmission and the relays for that.

On a dual point distributor the bigger capicitor on the outside of the distributor will be the main set of points, Dont need the other points or swap it over . Gap to .020 on high side of lobe.

How hard is it to pull the old points out and take it to the store?

68-69 is a bigger point set.

70 upwards use 2 smaller type point sets. this should be a common part

maybe look on Rockauto.com and enter the years(68-69)&(70-72/3) and they might have a photo of the part.

dual point

http://www.mr-auto-parts.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc?_cmd=epccat_VehicleWHD&cookieID=28D0VUGMY2FA15MJIA&yearid=1971%40%401971&makeid=NISSAN%40%40NISSAN&engineid=1209978%40%40510++%2F+L4%2D1595cc+1%2E6L+GAS+CARB++%28L16%29%40%40510&catid=Ignition%40%40Ignition&mode=PA&subcatid=Ignition+Points@@Ignition+Points&clientid=mr-auto-parts

BUY FUCKING 2!!!!!!!

How hard is it to pull the old points out and take it to the store?

68-69 is a bigger point set.

70 upwards use 2 smaller type point sets. this should be a common part

I have the points out of the engine, they are smaller then the single set.

None of the parts stores have them in stock ( I ordered a single set to see if they were the same )....so there is a re-stocking fee.

The problem is with out a year and model I cant fine the points. They do not have pictures so they hate to order and then be stuck with them.

None of the parts stores have them in stock (I ordered a single set to see if they were the same)....so there is a re-stocking fee.

They do not have pictures so they hate to order and then be stuck with them.

Note to self: Don't break down in Ontario, Canadia and need to order auto parts. :fu:

Yup, we're a tough crowd to please sometimes. :D

Note to self: Don't break down in Ontario, Canadia and need to order auto parts. :fu:

:D

Absolutely don't break down there!!! Last time my gas tank imploded. Turned out the gas cap stopped venting and the pump sucked the gas out and atmospheric pressure crushed it like a tin can. The gage read 1/4 full when I ran out because the sender was pushed up by the bottom of the tank.

I went to almost a dozen local and no so local yards. Not one 720 forget 620s they never heard of a Datsun! Lots of Chevy junk but no Nissan before mid/late '90s. No gas tanks.

What did I do? Used my neighbor's air compressor and pressurized it and popped out the dents. Pretty scary watching it swell up like a balloon.

Know these to be good numbers for the L16 dual point distributor. I buy them for my 72 PL521 and previously my 72 PL510.

Primary and Secondary Points - Borg Warner # A528

Primary Condenser - Borg Warner # G583

Secondary Condenser - Borg Warner # G600

Any good parts house should be able to cross reference the BW numbers if they don't carry that brand. Or, as I find all too frequently, the counter guy doesn't know how and can only look up parts on his computer by car, year, engine, etc. Hasn't seen a reference book in years.

As stated, you probably are only using the primary points and condenser in your application.

73 datsun 620. i knwo this because i have one. dual points suck ass..

Well with your info it popped right up.

found them in Blue Streak and he did have them in stock.

Woo Hoo I have everything i need for a tune up.

Thank you once again guy's, you came through for me.

I am very gratefull.

Greg

I will post some pic's