Phil's 510 2 door. The tranny 68

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work man. Your car was awesome before you started this refit and now it's fuckin epic \m/

I hope your going to run a roof rack?

I drove a rhd Pajaro for 3 yrs as my boss bought it for our work commute. It was odd at first but felt normal after a week.

The one thing I didn't like was how if you wanted to pass a semi or something large you couldn't just poke your head to the left a touch to see if anyone was coming. If you couldn't see around who you want to pass then you just had to wait.

I dig the super custom mods though. the wiper cowl and rhd is bad ass and I'm sure your Datsun is loving all this attention!

My 510 is patiently waiting for some attention lol

Keep up the good work man!

Rich

Nice work man. Your car was awesome before you started this refit and now it's fuckin epic \m/I hope your going to run a roof rack?I drove a rhd Pajaro for 3 yrs as my boss bought it for our work commute. It was odd at first but felt normal after a week.The one thing I didn't like was how if you wanted to pass a semi or something large you couldn't just poke your head to the left a touch to see if anyone was coming. If you couldn't see around who you want to pass then you just had to wait. I dig the super custom mods though. the wiper cowl and rhd is bad ass and I'm sure your Datsun is loving all this attention! My 510 is patiently waiting for some attention lolKeep up the good work man!Rich

I loved it before all of this. Unfortunately the rack is on my 4 door now. The passing thing is not exiting.

caf8177b.jpglove your work Phil. Have you got some 68 wiper arms? they're angled bit different, I found out the hard way after attempting to fit some spare arms to my '69, wondered why they didn't line up properly, figured out they're actually '68 arms!

Haha that pic is awesome! My car is happy. Yup I have 68 wiper arms and aero blades as well

I MUST AGREE

We were joking around here at the shop. I could do that. Just modify the centerlink and dash frame. But then the clutch/brake/throttle would need figuring out.

Some more body work. Waiting on a welding helmet. Our old one was malfunctioning. Then I could proceed with the rest of the quarters. Weld up the marker lights and patch spots on the rockers.

I wish I could have glued the roof brace a week ago. I could have blocked and moved the roof to the next step. Dumb me for not thinking ahead and asking questions. Has to dry a couple days.

4e83b435.jpg

630447fb.jpg

Blocked the tail panel. Filled pinholes. Sprayed with primer

8dbc65a0.jpg

Here's an example of getting the panels roughed for first primer coat.

157c5911.jpg

0caae237.jpg

No real damage so a skim coat is the next step. The goal is to get the panel straight enough for a skim coat.

902f9cb5.jpg

91cdf722.jpg

Long blocked

97fecf12.jpg

cfacf2c8.jpg

Primed

7da4f617.jpg

fb74839c.jpg

That's just the beginning. Hopefully my skills were good enough or more blocking and priming is involved.

This is the end result of these steps

My doors ready for paint

a4c1db86.jpg

And it just keeps getting better! I'm clapping really loud right now.

Yeah man hopefully.

I wonder how many times you are going to jump in the left hand side getting ready to take off?

Never though of that scenario. I can just imagine. Key inhand. Lol

We need a sticky on 2 door rocker panel repair so people don't continue to do the poke & prod attempt at fixing them :( You're better off cutting the whole section out from door to wheel in one piece, removing the inner sandwich piece and replacing it with a new reinforcement (eg diagonally from the bottom of the rocker to the outside top of the inner horizontal piece), then repairing the outer skin and putting it back on as one piece...

We need a sticky on 2 door rocker panel repair so people don't continue to do the poke & prod attempt at fixing them :( You're better off cutting the whole section out from door to wheel in one piece, removing the inner sandwich piece and replacing it with a new reinforcement (eg diagonally from the bottom of the rocker to the outside top of the inner horizontal piece), then repairing the outer skin and putting it back on as one piece...

You're right !! Problem I'm having is finding a donor car. Can't justify cutting a good car just for rockers. Then time is another. My goal for this car is to make it 100% better than it ever was. This is just one if those things I have to live with. If it lasts me 5 Years then starts looking like it's old self. I'm perfectly content.

That's cool, and I didn't mean to sound negative. I wish I had known better, too, when I started working on mine X|

Don't worry about it :) constructive criticism. I will tell you this I'm learning everyday