The Shark won't swim.

OK, my B210 (The Shark) is having fuel delivery problems. They started a while ago and me and my mechanic have gone though several steps to no avail. She will start, idle, and will run until I demand lots of fuel. The demand isn't that great really, 4th gear or going up a hill. Then she will bog down and give up the ghost or I can put the clutch in and let the bowl refill on the carb.

If I look at the fuel filter while it's running there is only about a 1/4 of an inch, to around it being 1/2 full at any time.

First the fuel pump died. Replaced it. Tested the flow. But the problem continues.

Thought I had a dirty gas tank. Back blew the system then opened it up. The tank is clean.

Went through all the lines and there are no holes.

The return line is clear.

I'm at a loss.

Any help?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1975 and newer B210 have a fuel return line. And has a vent line that goes up to the engine compartment. Be sure the vent line is not capped, it should go to the charcoal cannister.

Be sure you have the right fuel cap, it lets air in, but not out. If you put a fixed cap on it you can get vapor lock.

I replaced the fuel filter when I changed the pump about a week ago.

The problem is that there is little to no fuel getting to the filter in the first place.

Drove her to work this morning and she made it. The only time she bogged down was during a hill.

Tested the gas tank hiss by locking down the gas cap and there was none. So the uncapped return line is helping.

What about the fuel tank vent line??? Don't forget the basics. The vent line is far more important than the return line.

Since removing the cap sometimes helps, it seems you have more than one problem. The cap should be this type:

16787.jpg

Left: BAD, Right: GOOD

Neither of these are vented caps. The B210 should not have a vented cap. The one on the right has a suction relief valve it lets air into the tank, but not out.

2eDeYe;192670'']Floats out of adjustment?

That was my thought as well. Drive it the way it is. Next time it starts to bog out, quickly shut it off and pull over. DON'T LET IT IDLE!!! Now check the filter. If you have fuel there, delivery is not the issue. Your issue is inside the carb.

Jester, I let it bog itself to a stall. Got out and checked the filter and there was about a 1/4 of an inch in there. So it's not pulling strong enough from the tank. I'm going to replace the pump again (it's still under warranty). This happened to me with a starter a while back. One goes out, so I replace it. The replacement is faulty, so I replace it. Everything is OK. Badlucky I guess. I'll put the new pump in tomorrow and let you know.

It sounds like the flexible line from the Fuel Tank might be cracked and your sucking air instead of Fuel, that would cause the Fuel Filter to only be 1/4 full. It could also be flexible line to the fuel filter or from the fuel filter to the fuel pump.

Myself I would go on a Flexible Line replacement spree (if your gonna do one you might as well do them all).

It sounds like the flexible line from the Fuel Tank might be cracked and your sucking air instead of Fuel, that would cause the Fuel Filter to only be 1/4 full. It could also be flexible line to the fuel filter or from the fuel filter to the fuel pump.

Myself I would go on a Flexible Line replacement spree (if your gonna do one you might as well do them all).

oooohhhh good one. I had to do that to my dime totaly forgot about the old dried out lines

Had a similar problem with my 1200 Coupe. The fuel line from the tank to the carb was clogged. I disconnected the line from both ends and hooked up my rubber-tipped air hose and blew the line out with 100lbs of pressure. All kinds of gunk came out the other end. It ran for years after that with NO fuel problems. A strange problem and solution for sure, but it worked like a champ..