missing original 510 trans am?

i was checkin out CL and came across some car or truck empty tub, think it was from the 20's

the guy had it sitting on a little trailer and it looked funny as hell, so i emailed him and we started talking. Told him i liked datsuns. He said well its funny you mention that, cuz i have a missing 510 trans am. Never titled or registered. And he was nice enough to send me some pics. Can anyone verify this? He has paperwork for it, logbook, a sale sheet etc.

Looks legit, either way its pretty cool

mustang001.jpg

mustang003.jpg

mustang005.jpg

mustang008.jpg

mustang015.jpg

mustang016.jpg

mustang020.jpg

mustang031.jpg

mustang184.jpg

Edited by h2theizzo
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if its for sale,

He was selling something else and i just mentioned datsun and he told me about that. I might see if i can go down sometime and get some more pictures and info.

am hoping someone can verify if this is true or not about it being a missing one or something. not sure if the guy will part with it or if he is gonna sell it or what.

I wouldnt say it was missing (dont think it was a BRE car) there were so many people that ran 510s in B-sedan so there probably still a few tucked away in garages. as far as the pictures go it IS a period correct car from what I can see I have been lucky enough to have my hands on a few real B-Sedan 510s from the early 70s the Dave Frellsen championship winning car as well as the Bob Sharp 610 and Rob Dyson 510, these cars a becoming accepted among the vintage groups there for becoming worth alot more depending on who ran the car and for how long you cold have stummbled on a gold mine so to speak

Clayton

I got a call from my brother today about a 510 he caught a glimpse of while looking at another car. It happens to be this exact car. The guy thinks he is sitting on a gold mine. He told my brother and pops that he thinks he can get over $20k for it. He mentioned that he was trying to contact Adam Corolla to see if he wanted to buy it. It does look pretty nice, but unless it has some prominent drivers in the log book, I can't see it fetching that much as a collector car and I would guess it would need a lot of $$ to make it running in proper shape. I sent the pics to a friend of mine that used to race 510s to see if he recognized the car. If I find out any more info, I'll post it here.

My Datsun 1200 in my avatar is a '71 and I have all the original SCCA logbooks going back to the beginning when it was first raced in 1973 in C Sedan. It competed in the 1973 ARRC (precursor to today's Runoffs) driven by Corky Bell.

I will be racing it at the 2009 Runoffs, 36 years later. I'd say that might qualify as having some history.

Indeed it does, thats a long time racing.

Ya, i saw the sell sheet said 20k. Not sure if thats what he bought it for or what. Without the logbooks, or some kind of history it would be hard to justify spending that much cash on it. Tho it does look track ready with a little work

Here are the original '73 Polaroid photos in my logbook. The car was originally raced in the Colorado area.

1200_logbook_1973.jpg

Here are photos of the same car, different paint from 1981 (top) and 1983 below after the car moved to the Northeast. The 1983 photos were taken on track at Lime Rock Park, Lakeville,CT.

1200_logbook_1981-1983.jpg

Here are the original '73 Polaroid photos in my logbook. The car was originally raced in the Colorado area.

1200_logbook_1973.jpg

Here are photos of the same car, different paint from 1981 (top) and 1983 below after the car moved to the Northeast. The 1983 photos were taken on track at Lime Rock Park, Lakeville,CT.

1200_logbook_1981-1983.jpg

all super cool paint schemes man, i really dig the current one

been in contact with dan halloran with SCCA.

He sent the pics and what little info i had off to his friend and this is the response. Theres no real way to tell whats the story behind the car without the VIN number and logbooks. that would help a lot.

Well, they did do that under 2.0 and then 2.5-liter T/A for a while, and BRE did prepare Datsun 510s for that series.

I have no earthly idea what spec those cars were built to - but I think they're tub cars.

HOW-ever, there were also a lot of BRE 510 knock-offs in later years.

What I noticed is that there's a stack of SCCA log books in the photo with the newsletter cover. Those should take the car back to its original build.

That's the single most valuable and only trustworthy piece of information - barring some great records that show the VIN

of this 510 matches the missing BRE T/A 510. He should look in the oldest log book - it will say who made the car and

to what spec. If it says BRE and built for T/A and it all appears to be old and not forged - then hallelujah, that's pretty

good provenance.

The log books will also list some T/A races. After 1972, the under 2.5-liter cars were not in T/A.

So if it was a Trans-Am car, it would have had to be built from new and run in '72.

Even the log book number/roll bar stamp will be a clue. I'm not positive, but it should

be Cal Club's region number (19) on the roll bar stamp. If it's an Oregon or NWR region

number, that's not a BRE car. I think we're region 45, but I'm not positive.

If it's here in Portland, I'd love to take a look at it.

Well, they did do that under 2.0 and then 2.5-liter T/A for a while, and BRE did prepare Datsun 510s for that series.

I have no earthly idea what spec those cars were built to - but I think they're tub cars.

mustang184.jpg

This is an L20B block, so no use for the under 2.0 size and not the block for a 2.5 liter build.

A local chassis builder has a Corky Bell Trans Am 510.I only got to peek under the car cover a little.Mabey I can snap some pics of it next time.

My Datsun 1200 in my avatar is a '71 and I have all the original SCCA logbooks going back to the beginning when it was first raced in 1973 in C Sedan. It competed in the 1973 ARRC (precursor to today's Runoffs) driven by Corky Bell.

If you can find out the driver's name, race finishing order by driver and car for each of the 2.5 Trans Am races can be found in Dave Friedman's book "Trans Am- The Pony Car Years 1966-1972". Several of us have a copy and would be happy to check and see if he was listed.

Here's another pic of the real Lost BRE 510 which was found a few years ago (in Jamaica, as I recall) and brought back to the US for restoration.

LOSTBRE1.JPG

We are all anxiously awaiting its return to glory.