SR20DET swap

Roostmonkey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about that, this is what the SR is going into. Its a 72 521 with stock everything.Along with the motor swap, I'm also adding disc brakes and dropping it approx 2".Ive got the motor and tranny bolted up and all the wiring harness removed but I'm having a hell of a time removing the driveshaft carrier bearing/mount.Time to break out the sawzall i guess.Unfortunatley, I'm done for the day.I'm headed for Boston to see my sons band play (myspace under Bad Ash ) Later...

BensTruck001.jpg

So far, just replaced the stock bench with newly reupolstered 240Z seats and new carpet.The SR prolly wont talk to the stock guages so they might change too.

My sr temp sender works with my stock gauge. speedo can be converted back to a cable and the gas gauge is factory :D

Looking good man! From looking at Jomas build things to watch are The alternator and steering link. THe turbo fits without hitting the steering colum but doesnt give you much room if you want to go with a larger one in the future. He used a small tractor alternator because of the space constraint and moved the battery to the bed. He also had to do a small amount of modding to the tranny tunnel for the shifter but nothing major. Good luck and keep us posted. My only reccomendation is get the brakes on BEFORE you get the motor running!

Roost: You may also want to checkout this one particular suspension thread about getting rid of your torsion bars! ;) That would make the downpipe fab a little easier then what Joma had to go through.

Where'd you get the SR? Internet? I'm leary about purchasing motors from unknowns. This one looks really clean.

Thanks,

Brian

Where'd you get the SR? Internet? I'm leary about purchasing motors from unknowns. This one looks really clean.

I know you didn't ask me, but... :D

I've bought 4 from an online retailer called JHOT. They have warehouses in Georgia and Texas, they give you the actual mileage of the engine (instead of this "average of 40-50K miles" BS), and give you EVERYTHING with it (fuel pump, IC, all wiring and relays, and sensors, etc.). Prices are good too.

They sell on ebay as well under the same name.

Oh man make the L16 in my 521 look like a toaster oven!

Roost I notice your brake master has two cups rather than one like my 521. Are you upgrading the brakes too? Guess you'd have to to stop this beast!

Scott

Fisch, thats a MC from a 280zx (15/16") and we will be usin g Beebani's disc brake upgrade kit.The stock brakes were scary with the L16 so theres no way I'd drop an SR in without new disc brakes all around. I got some answers today that will allow me to keep at it this weekend. I get my new Millermatic 140 mig welder tomorrow so motor mounts will be its first job.

Fisch, thats a MC from a 280zx (15/16") and we will be usin g Beebani's disc brake upgrade kit.The stock brakes were scary with the L16 so theres no way I'd drop an SR in without new disc brakes all around. .

Cool man please document the brake upgrade too!