Brakes & ASSumtions....Grumble!

Logical1

Well I started out my day off from work setting out to do a complete brake replacement. 50% awesome 50% **cked. I started on the rear drums thinking that would be the nastier of the jobs....

drum1.jpg

drum2.jpg

drum3.jpg

drum4.jpg

drum5.jpg

drum6.jpg

drum7.jpg

drum8.jpg

drum9.jpg

drum10.jpg

drum11.jpg

drum12.jpg

drum13.jpg

These bad boys went well, the only real un-expected labor was having to remove the back splash guard for the drums as my new drums had heat dispersion fins and wouldn't clear the shield... pulled it off with a screw driver and vice grips, Viola!

Then I went to put on my sexy new Brembo drilled/slotted 510 rotors on the front and I found out the hard to way double and triple check that you get the right parts for the job... I guess when the previous owner did the engine swap, They thought it would be a good idea to swap out the front brakes as well, UHGGG! So I'm guessing these are brakes from a 620 truck but as I am NOT a mechanic I really don't know. I did as much research as I could and google image searched 620 brake calipers and it all suggested the same I was thinking.... well needless to say I now have a nice set of front 510 rotors and pads but now I need to replace the whole setup and get calipers or sell the 510 set-up and buy 620 rotors & pads... Any Comments on what would be cheaper and easier? I'm not looking to put used parts back on as I am in the "upgrade, don't replace" maxim but I am also FAR from rich or have tons of time on my hands. Anyway here are some pics for your viewing and comedic pleasure! Recommendations and Comments welcome :)

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

front3.jpg

front4.jpg

front5.jpg

front6.jpg

front7.jpg

front8.jpg

front9.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I considered going disk on the rear, but I had the new drums and shoes. I painted them blue and threw em on. I really like how the drum looks through the wheel and even with the drums and old worn front mystery disks it stops nice and quick! When I figure out what the front brakes are and replace them I sure it will stop on a dime ;) couldn't justify the rear disk conversion cost...

Well after NorCalDime's post I looked into 280z brakes and I thinking hes right! found this site with nice pics of the calipers from a 78' and they match mine:

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/brake_caliper/nissan/280z.html

I'm wondering if this is where my engine came from as well, Not being a Zcar guy did the 280z ever come with a l20b? just trying to track all my random parts down as I posted in an earlier thread about race motor pics :) Thanks for the help!

Well after NorCalDime's post I looked into 280z brakes and I thinking hes right! found this site with nice pics of the calipers from a 78' and they match mine:

I'm wondering if this is where my engine came from as well, Not being a Zcar guy did the 280z ever come with a l20b? just trying to track all my random parts down as I posted in an earlier thread about race motor pics :) Thanks for the help!

z car had 6 cylinders your l20 is eather from a late model 610 710 200sx a10 or 620

You didn't look into them enough. Like I said they are NOT z brakes, of ANY year.

s30 280z calipers....

IMG_0277.jpg

w/e yours are......

front1.jpg

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing or confused or something, if so I'm sorry but those look nothing alike, nor do any z calipers.

Edited by 72240z

Apon closer inspection they are not the exact caliper from the 280z but they are the closent thing i have found yet... I'm not sure what the outer blue frame is but the inner actual caliper looks close to the images ont he sire I listed and the pads are held in with the exact same clips, pins, springs and the EXACT same pads I have... I jumped the gun a bit for sure but this is getting frustrating as n00ne really know what they are!