for you guys shipping things

be wary when getting shipping quotes ffrom shippers sites, usps, ups, dhl, fed-ex.

i provided a quote to a fellow ratsuner to ship a fender going off of ups' website, quote was $51, went to ship the fender today and the lady at the counter of the ups store said that it was going to be $156:eek:, she said i need to contact them in person the ups site doesn't calculate it right. lesson here, don't rely on a stupid website.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a UPS account. Every easy to get one just sign up. Then when they quote you that price pay for it online and print out the label. I have done that allot. If they ever come back and say well that price was not correct you did it from there website.

I have never had UPS question anything I have dropped off when I print a label online.

I have UPS, Fedex and USPS accounts by far USPS is the cheapest.

US Postal Service has been right on every time for me. You can even purchase the postage stamp online at a discount, glue it to the package and drop off at any post office. For packages it is much cheaper than Fedex/UPS.

They must be nicer on the west coast. I ship daily and I have to say upsp are the nazis of the shipping world. Ya you can prepay but you get there and they size up and weight the package anyway completely negating any reason for doing prepaid in the 1st place. God forbid your scale doesn't match their crazy digital piece too. They have "lost" FIVE of my packages over the years. They are only cheaper if you don't purchase insurance, tracking or certified and if the buyer doesn't mind receiving the package up to 2 weeks later. Say nothing for the constant 'could give a fuck' attitude they give like they are doing you a favor for taking your money. I hate usps lol, like I say though maybe its a coastal thing.

I have had ups account for years now and ONLY do prepaid. So long as the dimensions and weight are CORRECT there is never a problem. You get a substantial discount for having an account and doing prepaid. Insurance, tracking and confirmation is also included.

Service vs service I take ups hands down, I don't even have to think about it. The attitude bit is just one more reason. The only time use them is when I am forced i.e. international. Usps is 1/2 what anyone can offer on international shipping. I deal with the dicketry for that price cut.

Fedex/dhl is for w/e reason always the most expensive, I don't even bother checking anymore.

Edited by 72240z

No it's actually a pretty easy system. I went to ship a set of tail lights a while ago, had them all boxed up so I got a UPS online quote of $35, so I went to the UPS store to ship it and the lady said it'll be $78, I asked her about it and she gave me some lame excuse, so I asked if I get the preprinted label on the box can I drop it off here? She said yes so I went back to my desk, paid for it online (yes you have to set up an account, only takes a few minutes though), paid $35, printed out the UPS label, took the box and label to the UPS store, they handed me a bag that you slip the label into, seal it and stick onto the box...and that was it.

UPS stores, FedEx Kinkos (soon to be Fed Ex Office), or any kind of store that isn't a UPS/FedEx location that has thier huge delivery trucks are basically chain/franchise locations which are all independantly owned and operated, so they have overhead costs for thier locations etc so they have a markup in thier pricing.

That's why you're getting a totally different price at the store than the online quote.

Just my experience here.

USPS is far cheaper for smaller stuff, and some international stuff. They are also a pain in the butt with all the 30 options available etc. Definately cheaper though on smaller stuff.....

I prefer UPS. I walk in, drop it on the counter with the addy. 2 minutes later I walk out with a tracking number and $100 in coverage.

They do cost more for smaller stuff, but for me living out here in the middle of nowhere they work the best.

Never had a problem with UPS either.

ROB

I learned on one of my first transactions about the size things with UPS.

I had told the guy that it would cost $60 to ship. I found out it was $140.....oversize. If it is big at all, I pack it and then take it in for an estimate first.

Thank you, ROB

I also hate USPS.

I have found FedEx Ground to be far cheaper than UPS for ground service. You get a tracking number and insurance on one easy form. (I hate USPS forms!!!)

FedEx has fewer locations. I recently decided to try UPS because they were so close to my house. $88 to ship some wheels. I went to FedEx the next day and sent them for $47. Same box.

So long as the dimensions and weight are CORRECT there is never a problem.

^thats the key right there!

i went through the same thing. once i had the weight, i took it to a different UPS location and was charged w/o the oversize fee of $65.

:P :fu:

Cheapest way to move big stuff under 100 lbs is Greyhound. If it will fit under the bus, they will pretty much take anything. Good way to move fenders, tail gates and snowmobile hoods.:D