ka24de 620 build

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

;221712'']hey im new to ratsun and i just got a 73' 620 and want to drop in a ka24de on it... i love the ka:p... i used to own a 240sx but fell in love with the 620 so i sold it and got the 620... i want to know if the ka drop right in or do i have to mod the mounts? as for the fuel pump wich one do i have to use? and also what other mods do i have to do to it to drop in the ka? can you guys help?

Well the mods were simple cut the drive line about 3 inchs if I remember correctly and the dust cover off also if you are going to use the KA trans. you will also have to bump on the trans. tunel on a few spots for a good fit it wouldn't take much also cut the lip on the fire wall just befor it starts to bend down cut a slit on each end and hammer it up or down whatever it looks clean ether way just take the 240 rubber motor mounts of the KA engine and leave the hard mounts on it will bolt right on to the truck mounts you will also have to convex the rear of the oil pan to clear the center link I use a body dolly to make a clean dent I also took an electric fan from a vw and took the shroud off it and mounted it in fron of the radiator other than that pretty easy

I am doing the KADE swap as well. Do you have a link to the fuel pump? I'd also like to know if any old KA header will fit...

How much did your swap cost you?

summitracing.com fuel pump and lot of other cool stuff

i don't know about any old header i just orderd for my aplication

swap parts list

engine ecm tranny 200

crank bearings 45

front and rear seals 8

fuel pump 80

header 60

engine harness 120 i got rapped but it took me a month to find one and by that time i was very ancious

electric fan 20 used vw

intake tube and filter 60

muffler and custom bent tubing installed 150

hey if ur on a budget a volvo wagon pump will work fine and there is a dozon of themat every PNP ....its small enough to fit in your pocket....a couple earls fittings later u got ur fuel pump...total cost for everything for me was $50 installed...check out Project Buzz II

I am doing the KADE swap as well. Do you have a link to the fuel pump? I'd also like to know if any old KA header will fit...

How much did your swap cost you?

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, I payed way too much for my engine. It was in pieces, and there are many necessities missing. I should have waited and found something complete for less. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

I have the block, head, both manifolds, fuel rail, timing stuff, flywheel, rotating assembly, ecu, harness, bolts, timing covers, and some other odds and ends. All of that for about 400.

I'm thinking of totally rebuilding the engine, possibly going all out with the AMS basic rebuild kit. I might as well bore it .20 over while it's in pieces and go forged in case there is a turbo down the road. :D Too bad that'll cost me well over $1500 including labor and little stuff here and there.

What's involved in shortening the driveline? What is this dust cover you are talking about? I'll try to find a good fuel pump off the volvo, if not I'll get a new one.

wow! winston salem huh? i lived there about 4 years ago, now i live in mt airy you shoud drive that beast down this way sometime and let me take it for a spin:D or just come on over and wrench on some dattos with my wife and i

Ya I would love to I like to see other projects out their.

Well the mods were simple cut the drive line about 3 inchs if I remember correctly and the dust cover off also if you are going to use the KA trans. you will also have to bump on the trans. tunel on a few spots for a good fit it wouldn't take much also cut the lip on the fire wall just befor it starts to bend down cut a slit on each end and hammer it up or down whatever it looks clean ether way just take the 240 rubber motor mounts of the KA engine and leave the hard mounts on it will bolt right on to the truck mounts you will also have to convex the rear of the oil pan to clear the center link I use a body dolly to make a clean dent I also took an electric fan from a vw and took the shroud off it and mounted it in fron of the radiator other than that pretty easy

So pretty much the mounts just bolt it? does the oil pan have to be changed to front sump?

the engine i used came from a 92 240 so it was already front sump. thats why i had to bang on the pan. if it was rear sump i think i might have had a bigger issue because of the x-member but i don't know for sure. but ya the mounts bolt right up if you notice on trucks soft mounts you will see a little tab just notch out a little spot on the engine mounts for a better fit.

the engine i used came from a 92 240 so it was already front sump. thats why i had to bang on the pan. if it was rear sump i think i might have had a bigger issue because of the x-member but i don't know for sure. but ya the mounts bolt right up if you notice on trucks soft mounts you will see a little tab just notch out a little spot on the engine mounts for a better fit.

How bout the trans mount? Or are you using the stock 620? Sorry for the question, it's just that so far everyone else says that you need modified engine mount and trans mount to fit a ka24.

• 2 weeks later...
How bout the trans mount? Or are you using the stock 620? Sorry for the question, it's just that so far everyone else says that you need modified engine mount and trans mount to fit a ka24.

I had to use the L series trans. mount and had to slot the holes on the trucks x-member because the ka tranny. sits a little deeper in the tunnel but real easy.

• 1 month later...

WOW! that truck looks good as it sits. I like the wheels, fills the fender good. Plans for color and body mods? I found a 620 at a dead end street, had the hooks on the bed shaved.

I have had all winter to think of what I'm going to do and I came up with this. Yes of course hooks being shaved, but I have much bigger plans I'm going to strip a 240's suspension and put under the truck just for starters, redo all the wiring paint the body while it's off the frame rework the dash maybe rebuild it in stainless put sound deader in it so I can talk on the phone for a second lol standard stuff new carpet, seats tint windows blah blah blah when I start I will post pics as it progresses

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I stripped the chipping clear coat and was going to polish but to many little blemishes that would have bugged me so what's the next best thing!!!

3665e3bcf99d.jpg

Black paint :P

4c92b884773f.jpg

a38d5d781a5d.jpg

Also had a little free time Friday at work made a battery hold down

6dca0c8785ee.jpg

Playing around with the grill but I need to paint the truck to see how it really blends in

2e96d97187f8.jpg

99223f629f00.jpg

236336db2c9c.jpg

0819f0e2daa1-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

So I made a bracket and relocated my air intake. It freed up some front engine space.

Of course the hood will need some modification simple and classy nothing more.

a34284f1226d.jpg

fb0a24bb40dd.jpg

a94b2fcd0354.jpg

I also started on the body work just the basics right now, sanding it down smoothing out the rough edges.

My phone was dying I'll take more photots latter.

So I made a bracket and relocated my air intake. It freed up some front engine space.

Of course the hood will need some modification simple and classy nothing more.

a34284f1226d.jpg

fb0a24bb40dd.jpg

a94b2fcd0354.jpg

I also started on the body work just the basics right now, sanding it down smoothing out the rough edges.

My phone was dying I'll take more photots latter.

Someone still makes a cowl induction hood for the 620, I saw it lately, just don't remember where. :cool:

• 3 months later...

Nice build.

I dug up this thread because I had some questions about headers for the KA24DE in a 620...

I could only see a glimpse of the headers in one of the pics, and you mentioned you got cheap ones on Ebay for $60, do you remember the brand or seller?

Also are they shorties or long tube? (would assume shorties since you still have the torsion bars in the way?) And finally, any fitment issues and are they holding up (i.e. corrosion or surface finish deterioration beyond what would be normal)?

Thanks.