SD 2dr. Project!!! Docsis-510

I have a 1971 2dr. 510. i bought it back in january. the guy i bought it from was the third owner. The body is preaty straight and the interior was redone. the only thing wrong was the motor had an overheating problem. i sold the original motor and now im going to install a ka24de. never done this swap and have no idea what im doing but im in for the challange. here are some picss of what i've done to the car so far. enjoy!!!

This is when i first picked up the car.

firsttime.jpg

datsunint.jpgSI850220.jpg

With The new 280z rims. 14x6 0-offset

SI850200.jpg

After i worked on the engine. i took the engine out to clean it and paint the firewall. sold it for 800.

SI850392.jpgSI850393.jpgSI850394.jpg

camber plates!!

SI850346.jpgSI850345.jpg

my new motor. has 140k miles. i bought the motor,5speed, ecu, and wiring harness for 550. :D

SI850584.jpgSI850585.jpgSI850586.jpgSI850587.jpg

This is how it sits right now!!!

SI850388-1.jpgSI850389-1.jpgSI850591.jpgSI850590.jpgSI850582.jpg

Any advice on the motor swap would be nice. thankssssss

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

somebody around here has a wiring diagram that shows you exactly how to wire it. it's been done a few times so if you look around you'll find all the info you could possibly need.

car looks good

Edited by tnip
i'm dumb

Thanks mark its always nice to have someone that knows what they are doing. i did pick up the car for 2g's but told the guy he could keep the daytons. it was one of the cleaner 510's at the time. thanks for the info guys.

I typed this up for my buddy to compare prices between a SR and a KA swap, but it gives a rough idea of the work and prices that need to be done...

Reversed engine crossmember - $50 (free if you do it yourself)

Transmission crossmember - $75 (free if you fabricate your own)

Fuel tank modification/pump - $150 (appx 100 for a Walbro 255, and maybe $50 to modify a sending unit into the top of your tank)

Drive shaft shortened - $100 (note: KA swap in a Wagon, you can use a sedan driveshaft, it's the perfect length!)

Wiring - $100 (or do it yourself, look online, there are zillions of guides)

Radiator - $100 (VW Rabit, could probably find a used one cheaper)

Headers - $150 (or modify stock manifold... but why? Intake and exhaust yields dyno proven gains of appx 15hp!)

Intake - $50 (90* elbow toward pass. side is cheap and easy)

Exhaust - $300

Misc - $200 (new hoses, lines, wires, connectors, spark plugs, etc, etc)

I typed this up for my buddy to compare prices between a SR and a KA swap, but it gives a rough idea of the work and prices that need to be done...

Reversed engine crossmember - $50 (free if you do it yourself)

Transmission crossmember - $75 (free if you fabricate your own)

Fuel tank modification/pump - $150 (appx 100 for a Walbro 255, and maybe $50 to modify a sending unit into the top of your tank)

Drive shaft shortened - $100 (note: KA swap in a Wagon, you can use a sedan driveshaft, it's the perfect length!)

Wiring - $100 (or do it yourself, look online, there are zillions of guides)

Radiator - $100 (VW Rabit, could probably find a used one cheaper)

Headers - $150 (or modify stock manifold... but why? Intake and exhaust yields dyno proven gains of appx 15hp!)

Intake - $50 (90* elbow toward pass. side is cheap and easy)

Exhaust - $300

Misc - $200 (new hoses, lines, wires, connectors, spark plugs, etc, etc)

i dont know whos doing your work but fuck id like to find shit for that cheap

here is a picture of the crossmember im going to be using. not the best but should work. im thinking of running spacers between the motor mount and the crossmember that way the stock senser won't hit the steering box. this way i can save money on headers or relocating the senser on the stock manifold. when i get more cash i will be going with headers but for now this might work. let me knwo what you guys think.

SI850597.jpg

SI850598.jpg

On the KA, un-install the EGR tube and all the EGR crap, you dont need it and the car will run perfectly without it.

Install the factory oxygen sensor in the hole that the EGR tube was going into, simple boilt-in no mods required. Use the EGR tube to make a plug and install the plug into the hole the oxygen sensor was in.

This will make it so the oxygen sensor doesnt hit the steering box.

so i had nothing to do and decided to put the motor in. i had some issues. the EGR tube (compression) was talking about was removed but the senser did not fit that hole. also how do i remove the EGR struff from the other side? im not shure what can come off and what needs to stay. please any info will help. thanksss

SI850599.jpg

SI850600.jpg

SI850602.jpg

SI850601.jpg

when ever you want to stop by let me know I will show you what can go and what can stay, wou will have to fab some blank off plates for the egr but they are simple. also the car is going run alittle funny with the egr stuff off not a real big problem, I with they made affordable intake manifolds for the KA's but they dont lol, but if you know a fabricator i got the specs for a intake manifold lol.:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I had a little time to work on my car. i installed the external fuel pump. i dint realy know were to put it so i just found a spot behind the rear seat. i got up early and went to the junk yard to still me some injecters. :D i also picked up a pulley from a single cam 240sx to eliminate the power steering. i think im pretty much done. i just need to cut the driveshaft, install the transmission crossmember, and the wiring. :eek: heres some more picss. im thinking of powder coating my valve cover purple.

SI850673.jpg

SI850674.jpg

SI850675.jpg

SI850676.jpg

SI850677.jpg

SI850678.jpg

SI850679.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend i did the wiring. it really wasn't that hard. the wiring diagram they have here in ratsun is really good. i did all the wiring in my room. all i did was to hook up the wires to the plugs so when i went to install it on my car it was a plug and play deal. engine sounds nice. all i need to do is wire up the alternator. im not shure how to do that and can't find anything on the web.

SI850778.jpg

SI850779.jpg

SI850783.jpg