New here. 610 Wagon Owner

Was searching craigslist for a new dd/project Came across this wagon i couldnt keep my eyes off of.

1973 Datsun 610 wagon.

MINT MINT MINT!

Yellow.

Prelude Seats,

Brand new Vinal roof

Rally lights

New tires

Clutch

Power Mirrors!

All for 1100.00!

But i was told it didnt have the original l18 engine in it, So since i obviously dont know much about these old schools yet, Does anyone know what engine this is exactly?!?!

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

003.jpg

009.jpg

Edited by Dust
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Super cool ralley fog light setup! Welcome! you should fill out your location so we know where you are at.

If I had to guess it would be that your engine is a l20b. Which is the generation after the the L18.

There should be a little flat spot on the block below the rear most sparkplug. You will probably need to clean it to read it. Also check the head casting. Just below the first spark plug area.

Dig the sidedrafts, somehow I don't think they came stock on the 610 wagon. Unless they made a SSS?

009.jpg

L18s were used until July '73 and the tag on the sire wall behind the valve cover should say, but of course any L series could have been swapped in. So look on the block just below the head, below the #3 plug in the general area of the dip stick handle. There is a flattened boss with the engine size stamped into it. You may need a wire brush to clean it up so you can read it. It will most likely say L18 XXXXXX

The power windows are from an '80-'81 200sx right?

Very nice car, BTW.

Edited by datzenmike

you are in oregon

i saw that car on craigs list, i cant remember what engine he said it had in it. the seats arent original either, he got them out of another car. but it sure does look nice!

welcome, i wanted to see that car in person it looks pretty cool. You should come to canby!! Its June 13th and 14th :D

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yeah i live in the couve.

My plans are drop/wheels/new engine, then just daily drive it since my main objective is my drifting i also have a s13 that i drift.

Ive been reading about lowering these things and the fronts seem very spendy. Looking to drop it almost till its scrapping the ground but ground control kits only go to a max of 3 inches. Anyone got any better ideas?

Also i hear getting weber's for these engines make them run 20 times better, is there a certain place to buy a weber from around pdx or vancouver area? OR am i just completly wrong.

Edited by Dust
Thanks for the comments guys.

Yeah i live in the couve.

My plans are drop/wheels/new engine, then just daily drive it since my main objective is my drifting i also have a s13 that i drift.

Ive been reading about lowering these things and the fronts seem very spendy. Looking to drop it almost till its scrapping the ground but ground control kits only go to a max of 3 inches. Anyone got any better ideas?

Also i hear getting weber's for these engines make them run 20 times better, is there a certain place to buy a weber from around pdx or vancouver area? OR am i just completly wrong.

performance shop, lots of guys on here from portland/vancouver they would know. If not just do some searching on the internet, weber 32/36 is pretty much the standard. you can always go bigger but lose some MPG. look around here and put up a wanted ad, maybe someone has an intake for dual webers :D

i picked up my weber with 200 miles on it for 115 if i remember right. not to bad considering new they are around 250 or so

A Weber properly tuned will give almost the same mileage as a stock Hitachi. Usually the stock carb is pretty beat by now an a brand new Weber will 'seem' very impressive. A well tuned Hitachi is best for overall drive ability and mileage.

If you get a Weber find one with electric choke and fuel cut solenoid on it. You may need to add a fuel pressure regulator as Webers, especially worn ones, are very sensitive to fuel pressure and don't like it above 3 psi.

kiz i go to him ever time my ka in my 240sx needed a filter, and i went to him for my piaa's

Not sure if i am ging to get one just yet, just because im thinking a ka-de is the same price pretty much and i could just swap that into the car.

HIDs???

Maybe wont to run a H4 light harness unless the relay kit has those to plug in the stock harness to trip the relays.

If your going to use it as a daily driver a L20 is fine.

whats wrong with the SUs??????

A stock weber down draft is a good dependable daily drivercarb but dont expect too much more that stock carb set up or less than ur SUs .

As for lowering You could maybe shorten the strut to a 280zx length cartrigde and cut one loop out maybe????? Keep the cost low.

Since its a daily driver you want some suspension incase of potholes and steel plates on road construction.

http://www.guba.com/general/search?query=hainz&set=5&x=0&y=0

plugs are for h4 it has piaa's h4 intense whites in it right now, but i can get hid plug n play kits (the actuall real ones) for 65 bucks.

Lowering im going to be doing 280 with some coilover sleeves in the future.

Only reason im wondering about the engine is because its running rich and idk how should i go about fixing thsi problem? It idles at 2000 which i know is a bad sign.

SU stands for Skinner's Union; its a type of carburetor most commonly found on British cars. The design is extremely simple when compared to a downdraft. There are far fewer moving parts on a set of SUs, hence the reason that they are a favorite worldwide. Hitachi obtained a license to build SU style carburetors for Datsuns.

Yours are the two dome top looking things with the twist top dipsticks.

you the man. zer,

Well i found a rebuild kit online. Legit for 44.50 But i dont know what year i have. It says l20b 7602 or 7206 i forget the last 4 numbers.

Never a problem, Dust. Only here to share knowledge, and appreciate the ride. If you couldn't tell, I have a love for Datsuns, especially 610s.

You will want the rebuild kit for the earlier carbs (read: older build date) as you have the round dome tops. I recommend the website: http://www.jetlink.net/~okayfine/su/sumain.html (credit to the webmaster)

This is where I learned almost everything about my SUs. :D