• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up my carb rebuild kit.

Looks like a nightmare.

Any info before i start?

Post a pic of the rebuild kit. If you got the one for a downdraft carb, instead of the sidedraft SUs, well, the the box will look like a nightmare. And you will have to take it back.

The worst parts on my SUs were (in order of worst to best): the fuel needles, fuel nozzles, floats, and needles. The needles had no ridges, so I reused them (but have the new set on standby). The fuel needles stuck so bad, it was a crap shoot if they would allow fuel or not. I cleaned up my nozzles with 0000 steel wool, and carb cleaner with q-tips on the slides at the bottom(s) Check the fuel mixture screws for debris and caked on grease.

How is the linkage at the manifold? If it is worn out (wobble, oval shaft, etc.), it is available new from Nissan, while supplies last. P/N 99996-D1110

thats for a downdraft

gahhhhh haha so im confused in what year to get.

Correct. That is for a downdraft. No parts interchangable... well...

If it came with an intake manifold gasket, then maybe...but thats really the only part.

Give me through the weekend to source my part numbers; You're going to get to know your local Nissan parts department real well...

heading to nissan tomorrow to see if i can get some answers.

Before you go, this will help you:

http://www.sportsimports.ca/archive/technicaltips/att06.htm

Carburetor Type: Hitachi HJL38W6 (roadster is similar, but not the same)

Parts for rebuild:

(IMHO best place for parts found thus far)

http://www.ztherapy.com/products/masterprices/master_price_list.htm

(Scroll down 3/4 way down page to Datsun 510 SSS)

What I bought:

(From Z Therapy)

ZT31-608 Needles and seats (pair)

ZT097 Float Bowl Gaskets

(From Nissan)

99996-D1110 Linkage Kit

16174-15801 Phenolic Spacers with Gaskets

16061-K1407 Float (X2)

(BTW: If your counter guy says these numbers are not valid, tell him to check the Motorsports catalog; trust me, I have the boxes to prove these numbers are correct)

Cleaned sliding portion of nozzles with 0000 steel wool with a very small amount of metal polish

(Brasso or eqivalent)

Replaced throttle return springs (Home Depot)

Refinished heat shield (heat resistant paint)

Replaced Fuel lines (Stainless steel intake lines, flexible rubber fuel bowl lines)

Replaced Hardware at Float Bowls (M5x12mm) and Domes (M5x16mm) I recommend Allen Head fasteners, looks nicer and easier to ensure tight fit without stripping

Hopefully this all helps

so i was looking closer at the suspension this morning on this beast, and it looks like it has old school camber plates on it, are these stock!?!??!?

Also i was told if i want to drop this thing more then 3inches i need to get zx struts and use 510 top hats and weld on the spring perches.

I HATE CUTTING SPRINGS! I will not go that route, Any other imput would be good.

0022.jpg

so i was looking closer at the suspension this morning on this beast, and it looks like it has old school camber plates on it, are these stock!?!??!?

Also i was told if i want to drop this thing more then 3inches i need to get zx struts and use 510 top hats and weld on the spring perches.

I HATE CUTTING SPRINGS! I will not go that route, Any other imput would be good.

0022.jpg

Not stock, but a clean job of looking the part. Old School for sure.

Cool goon!

Rare to see one in that condition!!

You have the round top Hitachi/SU carbies which came on SSS version Datsuns and the airbox seems to fit your left hand drive fine. They are great carbs and look and sound even better than a single downdraft!!

Personally I would leave them. I have them on my factory SSS 610 and am getting mine rebuilt and restored. You might get better performance from dual sidedraft webers or mikunis or delortos, but be prepared to spend upwards to 1000.00 for a new set with manifold, air cleaners, linkage or find a used set for maybe half that amount that will most likely need rebuilding.

• 3 weeks later...

So my drive shaft bolts sheered off on me last night, and i have no clue why, all i got was a huge bang and my car not being able to move.

So went out and got some grade 8 supper awesome bolts/washer/nuts.

Then found out a late 70's 510 4 door glass will work for my driver side front window that got busted out.

Woo total of 20$$ to fix a well over 100$ problem.