Question about size of 620 headlights

72 327

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a set of the clear mercedes bosch lenses and the H1 bulbs at the JY last week. Paid $15 for the pair of lenses and the bulbs. Now i need to order the 100w Hella bulbs, and install them.

Jason

Would you then have any issues with the altenator?..as in not big enuff to handle the headlight amperage requirements?..I am asking because I don't know and/or don't remember if this has ever been discussed...so ....anybody?......Ron

Roughly,

the '70-'72 were 22 amp.

'73-'80 were 28 amp. and 30 amp.

'81-'84 were 50 and 60 amp.

Two 100 watt lamps will draw 16.6 amps add the two 55 watt low beams that are on at the same time (I think) and you have 25.83 amp.s This does not include the marker, tail, and dash lights that will be on at the same time.

Time to up-grade.

Well Im not too worried about the amps. LOL I have a 120 amp chevy alt. I ended up getting these lights on ebay.

46_1.JPG

I love the tribar headlights. Like 120 after shipping but hell I got it why not. I think it will look sweet in my rod like datsun.

Ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-3-4-BLACK-DOT-TRI-BAR-HOT-ROD-HEADLIGHTS-Set-of-4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ019QQitemZ8035102676

My first swap was a 720 60 amp unit requiring the 720 block mount and a 280Z lower hose inlet to block to make enough room for it. The idler arm grease nipple was still too close for my liking. The second one was a 90 amp Bosch from an '87 K car. I had two 200 watt 7" lamps from the airport runway lights plus the two 100 watt hi-beams plus the two 55 watt hi/low beams for just over 700 watts or about 58 amps of light. It worked great but being only human there was too much temptation to abuse their use, so I removed the 200 watters. I found that after using them, when you turn them off your eyes were so dazzled that the low beams were so faint that you would think they weren't on!

ya, what were you doing with all that light, growing Pot?

Melting asphalt mostly. Yeah I got rid of them. There was some construction out at the nearby military base and they were replacing the landing lights. I noticed they looked like car 7" headlights. Printed on the back was 12 volt 200 W. So I got a few and put them in a pair of Volvo pots and wired them up with relays. Each one drew almost 17 amps so had to use 10 gauge wire. Anyway it was just WAY too much for the street. I wanted more and more light and over did it I guess.

5.75 are the size . I have hellas bought from ralleylights.com I believe.

Just hope those lenses are not plastic and catch on fire

I have a 50 amper alternator(521 truck and I run the hella bulb 80/100 watter about 7.98$ apc.

with these you wont need to use the Highs as often

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/5.75_lo.asp these are the E codes and they SPEAD the light out better. Mostly spread as I said.

Good quality glass.. The H4 bulds and these E codes will have a cut off so it doesnt go over i the face of oncomming driver.

I would get the H4 wire harness(most are made in China but work)maybe get Hella relays later. No tofry the datsun wire and hook up at the batter /starter post

just get the 80/100watt bulbs. forget the 55/60watt ones. But I dont know those lamps you bought so ck if alot of plastic on there