Lose the points..go electronic [ignition]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mike,

I will have to do some research on this Bosch coil so I can use it w/o the resistor and take advantage of the hotter spark.

I won't forget to open up the gap some more. right now I have it at 0.34"

I may just run it w/o the resistor and see what happens.

If it is a low impedance coil, removing the extra resistance of the ballast will allow too much current to flow through it and it will over heat and fry. You need an EI coil or a points coil with a ballast resistor.

• 3 weeks later...

im planning on doing this mod on my stock L18 equipped 620, but my distributor wont come with a coil.

i see that the recommended set up is to go with a factory stock coil, so which model should i pick up?

We know!

But what exactly do you have?

Gen 1 Nissan remote distributor

Gen 2 Matchbox with module on side of dizzy

a Single point dist and you want to convert to a pertronix?

what you have.??????????????

a matchbox came in a 79 200sx so order a coil for that. or a MSD Blaster 2 or you can use the stock coil with the ballast resisitor ,you just hook B of matchbox to the +side of ballast resisitor. C of matchbox to the - side oc coil.

Look in the HOW to section. Its all there. READ IT

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Installed my dizzy and coil from a 79 620. Sad to say I couldn't get my 521 with an l18 to start. The wiring is not clear to me. Do I ditch the ballast resister or not? The coil a stock replacement says to use a with an external resister. I would love to see a picture of the wiring diagram for my truck. (1971 521) Ill keep looking for pictures. I am learning so much from the site, thanks everyone.

Installed my dizzy and coil from a 79 620. Sad to say I couldn't get my 521 with an l18 to start. The wiring is not clear to me. Do I ditch the ballast resister or not? The coil a stock replacement says to use a with an external resister. I would love to see a picture of the wiring diagram for my truck. (1971 521) Ill keep looking for pictures. I am learning so much from the site, thanks everyone.

So you should be running a matchbox dist. It has 2 wires coming off of it, run them to the coil. Your new [used] coil will be a bit taller & fatter than a points coil. Thats the easiest way to tell, & sometimes they have "for use with electronic ignition only" printed on the bottom edge. Wiring it this way you REMOVE the ballast resistor. There should be pics on page 1 re; the wiring. It literally took me 30 minutes to do the EI swap :D

BTW the Hainz video's are a huge help :cool:

• 9 months later...

Installed a Matchbox today on my 510 w/ L16. Followed the instructions here and the car fired right up. I installed it with the matchbox away from the exhaust manifold and the vacuum advance can is interfering with the top radiator hose. Changed the hose around a bit to get more clearance but it is still touching. Anyone have this issue? I notice there is a lot more room on the l20.

• 6 months later...

Just another thing to mention..when you find / buy an EI distributor @ the yard grab the pedestal as well. Its held on with 2 10mm bolts & is under the distributor. It ensures proper timing. (different distributors use different pedestals).

• 5 months later...