Lose the points..go electronic [ignition]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got a matchbox dizzy, havent installed it yet, seems simple enough

the options for coils seem to be stock or the blaster coils.

which one is better?

as in, do we have any dynos, graphs, etc?

heres what my current ignition looks like, whada yall think

579549_10151620309863755_1137832234_n.jp

any body have any experience with after market "ignition boxes"? this one is a crane, dont remember the model #

Do i remove the resistor if i want to install a pertronix ignitor on 74 datsun 620

Depends if you have 3 ohm coil or 1.5, if 1.5 coil then ballast resistor stays.  If 3 ohm no need resistor.  If you bought new, the box should have directions.  You can also go on their website and they have diagrams.  Your dist. has to be a single point or convert dual to single or else will not fit/work..good luck. Forgot to mention that they recommend hi-po coil with pertronix ignitor.  And your spark plugs can be adjusted higher, maybe .035.

• 6 months later...

Dawa

The crane I believe usues a optical shutter system under the dizzy cap. a photo would help.

a BIG key for us is the instructions other wise you more or less just have a point conversiona and the power of the spark is the same. Removing of the ballast(heat up the point coil) or changing to a lower ohm coil could ruin the box(draw more current) I say leave it along.

If you want simple & hotter spark get a matchbox and a 78/79 nissan coil or the MSD coil.

Cheaks

Look under Vintage Performance

http://vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/Datsun/nissan.htm

I think the 520 already has the right coil in there and this should work single point dizzy

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

wow.. i was a bit nervous to do the swap. but it went together perfectly.. and started immediately.. and even without checking the timing its already running smoother than before.. 

Thanks everyone!!!

• Like 1