Lose the points..go electronic [ignition]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BEAR you can always rotate that dizzy housing(the mount 180 on front cover) so the vacuum adva is 180 on the otherside.So its not jammed up against that rad hose,wires getting hot

remember to move the plug wires where #4 was will now be #1 then go 1 3 4 2 CCW fire order.

Now Im reading more of your post. if your coil is not firing it could be the gap but I think .035 is close enough.

You sure your getting power to the coil and to the dizzy?

datzen mike might have the specs to the reluctor OHMs an case the dizzy might be bad.

what I would do is disconnect that dizzy wires.red/grn

power up the coil(turn key switch to ON)

then on minus side of coil get awire then short it to ground. then take the center coil wire get it near ground. take the minus side of coil wire and touch ground and let go a couple times(like the points do and it should fire. then you know your coil sid works and its just a trigger proplem.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

guess I should have mentioned, that pic is not of MY dist, but of one that was used in another thread. mine is oriented 180 from that (thanks to someone mentioning that once before...THANKS!) Engine was at TDC so I based the new plug wires off of that, where it is pointing now is 1 then 3 and so on. I was able to check the coil and I am getting power to the coil and the dizzy.

AWESOME IDEA on the coil check! I will go try that as soon as it stops raining..yes, it's actually raining here in AZ, streets are flooded!

The coil is brand new so I would hope that it's not that, but maybe I got a bad one...you never know. I will check and if I have to, return it.

Thanks again Hainz!

if you feel uncomfortable doing this ck then dont do it.

but the method I suggested all it does is when you short the minus side to ground you charge the coil(with key On you put power on the positive side coil). then take the minus side off coil off, the magnetic field collaspes thru the windings of the coil going thru the center wire(thru the spark plug then to ground).

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
Any ideas guys on the gap of the electronic dist? sill need to make sure I have that right as it was loose and looks like it was moved. It is currently at .035

The 78 620 manual lists .008" - .016" for distributor "Air Gap". I'm pretty sure they're talking about the gap between the reluctor and the pickup coil. I did a little searching on google, and that seems to be pretty standard. I popped the cap off my non matchbox EI dizzy, and it appears to be more than that, but I read that closer is better.

Note: you can find this manual at http://www.olddatsuns.com

Edit: I just found this picture that makes it a little more clear:

Non_Matchbox_EI_Air_Gap.jpg

Edited by 72wagun
if you feel uncomfortable doing this ck then dont do it.

but the method I suggested all it does is when you short the minus side to ground you charge the coil(with key On you put power on the positive side coil). then take the minus side off coil off, the magnetic field collaspes thru the windings of the coil going thru the center wire(thru the spark plug then to ground).

Nah, I am cool with doing it, just not while it's raining outside. lol! No garage currently so I would be out in the rain. haha!

It is finally letting up here so hopefully soon!

The 78 620 manual lists .008" - .016" for distributor "Air Gap". I'm pretty sure they're talking about the gap between the reluctor and the pickup coil. I did a little searching on google, and that seems to be pretty standard. I popped the cap off my non matchbox EI dizzy, and it appears to be more than that, but I read that closer is better.

Note: you can find this manual at http://www.olddatsuns.com

Edit: I just found this picture that makes it a little more clear:

Non_Matchbox_EI_Air_Gap.jpg

THAT is exactly what I was looking for! Awesome...THANKS! And bookmarked the link you posted as well for any future reference!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!! now if only it would stop raining...haha

Ok, so after alot of checking and help from you guys, I got Marvin started today! Come to find out it was because of the coil AND the HEI unit were bad. When I brought them back, the guy saw the msd coil and said "not another one!" and proceeded to tell me that they must have gotten a bad batch or something as mine was the 6th or so brought back in the past few weeks that he was aware of. The HEI was bad also as a friend of mine had a spare coil and trying the method Hainz suggested, we got spark at the coil, but it wasn't getting triggered. Anywho, replaced them both and it fired right up!

THANKS guys for all the help! I appreciate it!!!

alot of those GM modules are outsource to overseas like taiwan and best to get a good one when you ask for one pay more and get the good one.

I never heard of Coils being bad as they are a very simple device. But you cant beat a stock Jap made COIL!!!!!!!!But I was never a big fan of MSD

I need a way to figure how to mount this in a Hitachi dizzy. MSD is now finnished

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor3/default.aspx

alot of those GM modules are outsource to overseas like taiwan and best to get a good one when you ask for one pay more and get the good one.

I never heard of Coils being bad as they are a very simple device. But you cant beat a stock Jap made COIL!!!!!!!!But I was never a big fan of MSD

I need a way to figure how to mount this in a Hitachi dizzy. MSD is now finnished

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor3/default.aspx

Yep, got a higher quality one this time. Not sure what the deal was with the coil, maybe just bad manufacturing for that bunch or something.

As for that pertronics part...I don't see why you wouldn't be able to other than the size. it looks like it mounts to a flat surface and there is always a way to make it work, just depends on how much time you want to put into it....do it and let us all know!!! lol!

Actually, checked into it more and so far they only have V8 applications, but they will probably get one out soon that will fit the bosch .009 dist used in bugs, soooo that would probably be the best option whenit does come out.

Edited by Bears510
Glad you got it figured out. Not good when "new" parts dont work :blink:

Thanks!

yeah, really. I hate that cause as your diagnosing a problem, you stand there saying " well no, it can't be that, it's new..." Sucks to not be able to assume your new parts are working...lol!

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Great information, I've been studying this thread(and other related matchbox dist threads) in preparation to convert my dual point setup to EI. Just want to get as much info as possible and get my ducks in a row before I attempt it. My car runs good, and I'd like to keep it that way- but I'm hoping that after the conversion it will run even better. I've got the distributor already courtesy of a forum member, just need an afternoon (hopefully no more) to do it.

My friend gave me a Nology Profire PFC-M75 coil. He said it should work with the matchbox, but to double check. So I'm wondering if you guys could shed some light on it? I am running Nology plug wires (also from him) so it would be a nice setup.

Here are the specs from Nology's site:

CDI (MSD 6/Crane Hi-6) replaces MSD Blaster2, Crane PS91

http://nology.com/profireauto.html

Thoughts?

• 3 months later...

Finally did my matchbox install the other day, with the help of a knowledgeable friend and info from this thread. It was so easy we thought we were doing something wrong. Adjusted timing, installed the abovementioned Nology coil (which Nology confirmed will work just fine for this application) and wow, what a difference. Thanks again Ratsun! Tested the next day on a long drive to the canyons, followed by 30 miles of spirited driving in the canyons...perfect.

My instruction werent good enough. Use the stock coil unless you know the resisitance of the Bosche Blu coil.

Your instructions are very clear except tha I don't know the resistance of this coil.

What's the best way to test this?

Thanks again.

Jun- glad to help. This is such a simple yet effective mod i dont know why people still run points.

Nice140y- if in doubt & or cant tell what the resistance of the Bosch coil is grab a coil off a Z car that came with EI. Its a wider & taller coil compared to the points one.

Hainz- yes people can do it that way too then....call it good :thumbup: