1979 b210: L20 engine swap.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks!

ok heres some of now, my dads at pull a part looking for a different radiator and driveline, and what ever else.

IMG_8848.jpg

IMG_8849.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

ohk so we extented some wires like the coil had to be moved, oil pressure wire and some other, we were trying to figure out some linkage ideas but my dad said thats not his specialtyhaha

I bought a new '76 B-210 and it had a 1483cc? OHV engine that just would not quit. J 15 I think it was called. They also came in 1299cc called a J 13, was your dad's maybe a J 13? Still had them (J 15) in '80 I believe. I think they were around 85? horse, so an L20B should give it a good kick.
The US market 1974 Datsun B-210 [chassis code B210] came with the 'one year only', long stroke A13. The 1975 & later B-210 came with the A14. This engine is basicly the A13 bored from 73mm to 76mm.

The following model, the one in the pictures, is a US model 210 [without the 'B'] & the chassis code is B310. It was available with the poverty pack A12A engine, which is an A12 with a 75mm bore for a displacement of 1237cc

The car was available with an economy version of the A14 & this engine had round inlet ports for higher gas velocity & more stable mixtures in urban [urbane?] driving. The 'full power' A14 used an oval port head design.

I can't say for sure which cars got the A15, but it seems likely the 210 wagon probably got it. The 210 [b310] was marketed from 1979 to '81 in the US I believe. The A15 is an A14 with the stroke increased from 77mm to 85mm. It used the same block & rods, but a different crank & pistons with a lower deck height.

The J series of engines was derived from some godawfull Austin design, but those clever Datsun engineers did three things with it that the British never could. They .....

Stoped it leaking oil

Rectified all the reliability issues [there were many]

Made it perform well

These engines were discontinued in passenger models with the introduction of the L series in the P510, however it was still used in the light truck range as the base engine for a few more years.

So there you have it, 'B' series Datsun cars [chassis codes B10, B110, B210 & B310] came with 'A' series engines & these were made as

A10 [988cc]

A12-1200 [1171cc] [front distributor]

A12 [1171cc] [redesigned block with distributor moved back near No. 3 cyl. All A series from '74 used this design]

A12A [1237cc]

A13 [long stroke, Bore x Stroke= 73x77 ] [1288cc]

A13 [short stroke, Bore x Stroke= 76x70] [1270cc]

A14 [1397cc]

A15 [1488cc]

The B120 truck [like a Ranchero version of the Datsun 1200] is still in production in the South African factory, & the new 2007 models have recently hit the showrooms. It uses the A14 engine & reportedly still uses a carburettor.

Are there any other Datsun engines that have been in continuous production for more than 41 years [since sept 1966] or any Datsun models that have been continuously made for over 37 years? [early 1970]

B120, you can't improve on perfection.

The J series of engines was derived from some godawfull Austin design, but those clever Datsun engineers did three things with it that the British never could. They .....

Stoped it leaking oil

Rectified all the reliability issues [there were many]

Made it perform well

The B120 truck [like a Ranchero version of the Datsun 1200] is still in production in the South African factory, & the new 2007 models have recently hit the showrooms. It uses the A14 engine & reportedly still uses a carburettor.

Are there any other Datsun engines that have been in continuous production for more than 41 years [since sept 1966] or any Datsun models that have been continuously made for over 37 years? [early 1970]

B120, you can't improve on perfection.

Just goes to show anything can be made better :P

Got any pic's of this ranchero 1200?

The B120 is correctly known as a Ute, or Utility, a bodystyle that was invented here in Australia at about the time that Pickups were invented in the US [early to mid 1920's] Ranchero's & El Camino's are in fact 'Utes'

I am about to head of to work, so I will try to get some pictures this evening, however, I would suggest that you have a look through this international Datsun Forum http://www.datsun1200.com/modules/news/

You will turn up many images of the 1200 Utes as they were available here untill the late 80's & are still commonly seen on the streets.

Datsun 1200 Ute, ... you know you want one.

• 3 months later...

I am now in controll of 2 round headlight 210s and one square headlight automatic car. 2 of them are parts cars and one is mine. Thinkin bout partin em both out. Well atleast the automatic one with the blown motor. So I got parts if people need em.

Also thanks a million for the pics. I plan on building up a naturally aspirated 20L. For my 80 round eye. Sweet!

I am now in controll of 2 round headlight 210s and one square headlight automatic car. 2 of them are parts cars and one is mine. Thinkin bout partin em both out. Well atleast the automatic one with the blown motor. So I got parts if people need em.

Also thanks a million for the pics. I plan on building up a naturally aspirated 20L. For my 80 round eye. Sweet!

What year did they change to the square h/l s ? There's one near me f/s and thought it was an '80. I think it has the 148? cc engine, not sure.

They changed to square lights in 80 but my car was made in 10 of 80 and still has the round lights and chrome rimmed taillights. The runner is a 79 with a total title. It has an A14 and a dog leg 5 sp. Im going now to inspect the square headlight auto car so more info to come. Feel free to give me a call.

Dave

OK, So

I went and looked at the square headlight 80 210 and it is pretty nice. A little minor front corner damage but decent black interior. The car has been sitting for a whyle.

I was able to get my key to get the ignition into the on position and with a jump from the pumpkn and some gas in the carb she started briefly. I had to jump the starter with some pliers.

The radiator was a gallon low but the oil was hella clean. It is an a14 auto car.

Nice work on the swap. Just to be clear it is a Datsun 210 *not* a B-210. That means Nissan chassis B310 (1979-1982 model years).

The B310 changed to square headlights in 1980-1/2, exact date unknown.

Now for those comtemplating an L-series swap, word has it that the HL510 circa 1980 510 crossmember is a direct swap into the B310 (i don't know if it is true or not). South End Auto Wrecking usually has a 510 around.

And yes, United States never got the J15 engine, in any Datsun although we got the J13 in the 520 pickup. All the RWD B-cars came with a-series engines except some special JDM and South Africa cars with came with L14 or L16 engine. See more about this at datsun1200.com wiki - PB210

[quote name=ggzilla;11052

Now for those contemplating an L-series swap' date=' word has it that the HL510 circa 1980 510 crossmember is a direct swap into the B310 (i don't know if it is true or not). South End Auto Wrecking usually has a 510 around. [/quote]

thats what I was thinking, the chassis look the same and the crossmembers through out all the cars are very similar.

• 4 weeks later...
Now for those comtemplating an L-series swap, word has it that the HL510 circa 1980 510 crossmember is a direct swap into the B310 (i don't know if it is true or not).

At one time I measured every crossmember in the family looking for a front sump PL510 option, and IIRC the late 510 CM is about 2" wider than a B310. But could be easily narrowed to fit. But, not sure why you would want to? The shape is identical. And as the late 510 mounts will unbolt from the CM, it would be easier to just cut your B310 mounts off and weld the late 510 mounts on.

United States never got the J15 engine, in any Datsun although we got the J13 in the 520 pickup.

Wasn't it a J15 in the early 1500 Roadster?