Whats your gas milage ?

coolioni

I just took a 100 mile trip on the highway yesterday in my 1983 720 4x4 wit the Z-24 engine , so I thought I would test out how many miles I was getting per gallon.

I was on the highway pushing the engine a bit doing mostly about 75 mph the whole way.

I still managed right at 25 mpg.

To me I was real happy, becuase before I did all the work I have on my engine I was lucky to get about 10 mpg.

I imagine If i was going at a slower speed , lets say closer to 65, I would have gotten much better !

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this was covered in another post at some time :D

right now with my stock carb, i get about 10 miles to the gallon in my 1980 datsun 720, with the l20b

just got my weber last night, might install it today. but its crap outside. Do some searching you will see the other post about gas mileage

It was covered but it affects all fuel burning engines so of intrest to all. 25MPG is very good for what you have. I was getting just over 20 with my L20B powered 620 (harsh) Now have a Z24 but havent driven enough to know.

this was covered in another post at some time :D

right now with my stock carb, i get about 10 miles to the gallon in my 1980 datsun 720, with the l20b

just got my weber last night, might install it today. but its crap outside. Do some searching you will see the other post about gas mileage

With that mileage you could of have a V8... Thats what I get on the freeway. LOL

Since I got it running well again I pull 25ish highway if I keep it at 65 so the rpms are under 3k. Around town I actually get the same if not better, I always lug in a higher gear or coast unless I'm in a hurry. That's vg30i, 5 speed 89 d21 kc. I think that's REALLY good with 32x15x11.5 tires.

If I was getting 10mpg with a l20b I would SERIOUSLY evaluate wtf was going on. Last z31 I towed I got 16mpg on the parkway. Come on now.....

Posted this many times...but......with the stock L16, Stock Hitachi Carb, Stock 4 Speed and 3:70 gears in the rear end....and a 44 mile commute each way (ez at 4:30a.m. Heavy at 2:00 p.m.) I average 33/35 MPG every time I fill up "Ol Yeller". Been that way since the day I put him on the road in Dec 2005.................

OLYellersatRaystoo.jpg

With that mileage you could of have a V8... Thats what I get on the freeway. LOL

Man...How in the world can you get that thing to hook without wheelhop!? What sort of 1/4 mile time does that truck run :eek: ? If you were running a well tuned Qjet, TH350, and mild gears, that truck could EASILY pull over 20 miles per gallon, and 25 wouldn't even surprise me depending on what mods you did to the engine. You put a 700R4 in there and it would be hitting over 30, IMHO. That is a light vehicle, and that old Chevy motor probably isn't even breaking a sweat.

I get an average of 28 city/highway w/L20B 5 Speed.

Edited by Buzzbomb

Ol Yeller, I really like the your truck. Not too flashy, not too plain, its just right:).

I have a question though, with the taller gears and the L16 hows your around town drive ability? Namely takeoff and pulling steep hills. Do you ever wish you had a gear between 3rd and 4th, or wish you had a 5 speed and stock gears?

My L18 is bone stock and if I hit a decent hill in 4th it will maintain speed up the hill just so long as its about 2500 rpm or higher. Also I can keep up pretty well in stop and go traffic (i.e. floor it slam on the brakes and try and keep from getting cutoff by a damn minivan or subaru)

As far as current mileage goes I average 25 all around, about 50%city and 50% highway. Bone stock L18 4 speed stock gears and tire size...

Man...How in the world can you get that thing to hook without wheelhop!? What sort of 1/4 mile time does that truck run :eek: ? If you were running a well tuned Qjet, TH350, and mild gears, that truck could EASILY pull over 20 miles per gallon, and 25 wouldn't even surprise me depending on what mods you did to the engine. You put a 700R4 in there and it would be hitting over 30, IMHO. That is a light vehicle, and that old Chevy motor probably isn't even breaking a sweat.

No wheel hop my friend just spin. I personally have never taken the truck to the track. I do know with tire spin Im about 4 car lenths faster than a 2006 zo6 corvette in a 1/8th mile. It wasnt just once we did this it was 5 times. I have super low gears at 5700 rpm Im at 91 mph. And that where I let off. Hince the reason for only doing 1/8 mile run with the z06. It was said not by me the previous owner it was 1/4 mile 11.5 sec @ 118.3 mph but IDK...

Edited by 72 327
Ol Yeller, I really like the your truck. Not too flashy, not too plain, its just right:).

I have a question though, with the taller gears and the L16 hows your around town drive ability? Namely takeoff and pulling steep hills. Do you ever wish you had a gear between 3rd and 4th, or wish you had a 5 speed and stock gears?

My L18 is bone stock and if I hit a decent hill in 4th it will maintain speed up the hill just so long as its about 2500 rpm or higher. Also I can keep up pretty well in stop and go traffic (i.e. floor it slam on the brakes and try and keep from getting cutoff by a damn minivan or subaru)

As far as current mileage goes I average 25 all around, about 50%city and 50% highway. Bone stock L18 4 speed stock gears and tire size...

Good question. as far as around town, it is very nice, although the mileage in town would probably drop to the 29/31 range....don't use it around town much.....now then, as far as steep hills, livin in So California and really not drivin it much farther than San Diego once, I dunno. .Just a couple "little hills around and it does a decent job of maintaining speed. thanks for the compilment on the truck, as all here know, that truck was just a shell and frame when I got it in 2005, took me 18 months to get it this way and it IS a daily driver, logging close to 300 miles weekly. here is what he looked like the day I drug him home from my son's backyard

4whatames0028-2.jpg

DAMN!!!! Good Job and way to bring it back... Again DAMN!!! Thats a lot of work but you pulled it off with flying colors. I knew you went through the whole thing but had no idea of what you started with.

Ive got a rebuilt 76 620 5 speed thats in my KC field truck project with not too steep of an overdrive that would make the 74 damn near perfect on the highway... Or I can grab a 3:70 rear from a yard for $50-$75... Decisions:lol: both will get me the topend speed at low RPMs but Im thinking the 5 speed will be the best with the hills around here.

Its just about to hit 42K original mileage though and the only non OEM thing on it is the fuel filter, radials and seats/steering wheel... Yours looks quite a bit nicer though. ...Ever thought of putting the hooks back on it?:lol:

Yep I did, but have decided not to mess with it. I am putting together the 72 that I bought a few years ago. that one is all original. cept for the L20b and 5 speed that are in it now...Maybe will be on the road late this year.

My '83 720 KC (2WD) got high 20s when it ran, and I haven't fixed it yet (it was by far the nicest commuter I had though).

My '76 KC with a L18, Weber 32/36 and a '82 280ZX 5-speed on stock rear end, 205/75R14 rear tires and lowered in the nose only can get 35MPG on a trip to portland so long as I keep the speed near, but not above, the speed limit. MPG falls off a cliff at around 68, I don't know why (I think it opens the secondary to maintain 70 on the flat) Easily gets 300 miles on a tank commuting. Has no low-end at all though. A U67 head on a L18 is not a power producer. But great for mileage.

The 4X4 (L20B, 32/36 and truck 5-speed) gets around 25. It's real fickle with the carb though- doesn't take much to get it running awful.

The '74, which has a L20B, a dogleg 5-speed and a Weber 38DGAS gets around 25 as well. It's a powerhouse compared to the 4X4 (heavy) and the '76 (geared for mileage and not power), but the surprising thing is the truck LOVES that carb. No other carb worked (properly) on that truck, and that carb never worked on any other truck. Together they're dynamite. Too bad the engine leaks like a sieve (both main seals are shot as is the pan gasket)