My Humble Little 510

Had this car for 12 years, it's been apart for the last 5. When it last ran, it had an injected L20B, which was fine, but I'm a power junky, so it got boring quick. Then a non-turbo SR came along, which would have been great, except I got a chance to drive a non-turbo SR car, which led to a realization that I wouldn't be satisfied with that.

Anyway, here's the most recent progress.

3282747378_a77d5591fe.jpg?v=0

3317445967_7ca1c9da87.jpg?v=0

3318271380_8781f46373.jpg?v=0

3317446511_d53454da84.jpg?v=0

3317446787_6a79b6b392.jpg?v=0

3317447063_baa62fe359.jpg?v=0

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is with all of the welds? Nice project, I can't wait to see this build.

Seam Weldng.

Doing it this way is something I suggested to a friend a long time ago as an idea, and now I'm actually trying it. Once I get the motor and trans back out, I'm going to seam weld the front rails to the floor, rear seams, trunk floor, everywhere I can get to. Inside the engine compartment, I'll Tig those.

Sounds like a lot of work. I plan on using bondo to fill in my body seams. :D

Hmm, OK. I'm doing it so my car doesn't crack the A-Pillars like my last 4 door did. With in excess of 160HP and sticky R-Compound tires, the lateral G's flex the unibody like like wringing a washcloth. Not sure body filler could keep up...

Ya seem welding is common practice(esp with drifters) and works well. Judging from the pics your 510 is going to be nice and stiff.

Is there a need for all that rigidity or just having fun? More pics?

Ya seem welding is common practice(esp with drifters) and works well. Judging from the pics your 510 is going to be nice and stiff.

Is there a need for all that rigidity or just having fun? More pics?

This is my last 510 sedan, a keeper. I have autocrossed and done driver's events in the past, and plan to do so again when this car is on the road. It's getting a full cage, and the ultimate target is 400WHP, so a little seam welding now only seem appropriate.

what made you decide on the ka? sweet build man i wanna seam weld mine but i need a welder :(

I went KA because the valvetrain is superior to an SR, it already has a 400CC advantage, and there are some very well documented positive experiences with turbocharging them. And, it fell into my lap, so to speak.

My buddy drives an S14 with a KA-T with a T28 Ball Bearing turbo from the S15 SR20DET. Cams, and exhaust and a fairly aggressive tune, and this thing RIPS! It spools up super hard and fast, and delivers enough power to really move. I'd assume (since I haven't asked for numbers) that he's 280whp or less, but the power band on it so smooth and fast.

If you're looking at 400hp from a KA, the only issue I see is how practical that is for most autocrossing, especially in such a light car. Practical or not, though, I want it to be part of my life... I wanna be in it.

My buddy drives an S14 with a KA-T with a T28 Ball Bearing turbo from the S15 SR20DET. Cams, and exhaust and a fairly aggressive tune, and this thing RIPS! It spools up super hard and fast, and delivers enough power to really move. I'd assume (since I haven't asked for numbers) that he's 280whp or less, but the power band on it so smooth and fast.

If you're looking at 400hp from a KA, the only issue I see is how practical that is for most autocrossing, especially in such a light car. Practical or not, though, I want it to be part of my life... I wanna be in it.

Well, it is several incarnations away from 400WHP. Probably 3- 1) stock bottom end, Z31 T3, SAFC with wideband tuning 2) Headstuds and S13 exhaust/intake cam, more boost 3) forged pistons, coated internals, porting, stand alone EFI, and more boost. That accounts for the next 15 years or so at my tinkering pace...don't forget, I can turn the boost down...

As far as autocrossing, I do love it, and have placed or won my class several times in various cars and classes. But the open track, fun runs, bracket racing and 3rd gear freeway roll-on's with Porsche's and Corvette's sound like fun too.

You're a twin cam guy, time to turbo that thing!

mmmm....welding on a wgn.....I think I'll have to follow this :)

It's not a goon, you can tell because there is no stock brace (he did weld one in though) from the door attachment points to the upper "frame rails" where the fenders attach.

that's funny.....I tend to think all 510's are wgns until proven otherwise......so I guess all of them are important to me for at least a moment or two. Once they lose their wgn status........well.....I'm sure somebody will still like them cause they're sedans. :)

.....at least it's still welding!! :)

wat happened to EFI l20? still have EFI manifold and such?

nice build BTW

Nope, it's still "around" but it's not mine anymore.

Well JC qship your project is quite a nice one. I remember it with the efi l-20 and all... the welding on the seams really work. I did it to my grey 2 dr. Big difference! Make sure you post LOTS of pictures with details :) ......Wagon Jon

Only been 10 years or so since it was a driver, right Jon?

Its not no 521 j/k. I didn't know you were on ratsun!

Yep!

It's not a goon, you can tell because there is no stock brace (he did weld one in though) from the door attachment points to the upper "frame rails" where the fenders attach.

I honestly didn't know wagon's had a brace, interesting.

• 3 weeks later...