Why is the Pacific Coast the Holy Grail?

Driving around here in Far Northern California, you see lots of Datsuns, but mostly trucks. Driving around the farms there are tons of old trucks sitting around, and some good old cars too. A few days ago I got a lead on a frame for my 21 dodge. I drove by for a look and it still has a body with it. Just sitting behind a house in the outskirts.

I joined a local club, Orphan car based. One of the members just picked up another Study truck, all original running, from a farm auction.

My 2 Edsels were given to me, the guy had them sitting around for over 20 years. The pink 4 door was bought new by his dad and the only real rust is the front fenders each have a hole at the bottom near the doors, about silver dollar size.

As for my 59 Datto, they were only sold in so. Cal and a few sold on the east coast. Nothing sold away from the coast. Datsun started self importing in 60.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first read the thread title, I thought he was talking about PacCoast...the member....I was like "Whaaaaaaat!!!!???!!!!!" ...he's up there in importance here, but holy grail??? :)

Originally, they all came in through SoCal. Since half of OR/WA are Cali transplants, it makes sense they brought their trucks when they moved. Cost to much for dealers to ship rigs over the Rockies.....they lost the "cheap" appeal. Most that did make it further east would have died of corrosion :( Since the bigger cities progress faster....so do their attitudes...so they opened up to the idea of buying Japanese products a lot faster than the middle states :) .....heck....I buy everything I can from Harbor Freight so I'll be "in" with the Chinese when they take over!! :)

I've lived in the Denver area my whole life, and I can remember seeing an occasional Datsun every now and then, but if I recall correctly, they were never really that common here--

must of come from all the people leaving calif... :lol:

seems everyone lived here at one time or another and when they left(earthquakes???), they took their datsuns with em. many probably didnt make it over I-70 and many that did died a slow rusting death.

quite a few survived the attrition and still exist today. they just dont venture out in bad weather.

socal: no snow + no salt + no rain = no rust :fu:

"what is your quest?"

-now go away or i shall taunt you a second time"

Another Coloradoan...Coloradan? And you live in Edgewater? Near Sloan Lake? My Grandmother lived in an apartment a block away from Sloan Lake for 17 years. Big yellow ones on West 26th

Wow, yes, I'm just a few blocks west of Sloan's Lake on 22nd Ave. The yellow apartments are on about Osceola and 26th. I believe they are called Francis Heights. Sound familiar? I have a good friend who is an older guy that lives there. Small world.

Where in CO did or do you live? E

Wow, yes, I'm just a few blocks west of Sloan's Lake on 22nd Ave. The yellow apartments are on about Osceola and 26th. I believe they are called Francis Heights. Sound familiar? I have a good friend who is an older guy that lives there. Small world.

Where in CO did or do you live? E

Francis Heights is correct :D

I Grew up in Longmont, Littleton, and Highlands Ranch a bit. A lot of my family still lives in/near Denver though.

Consider two sets of facts:

Average Car Lifetime

East coast: 6 yrs now, 5 years during the 80s

West coast: 11yrs now, 10 years during the 80s

Datsun Sales during early 70s

- Two big areas of USA were West Coast and East Coast (distributor was in New Jersey). In the middle, few were sold. For example:

1970 Datsun car sales (not including trucks)

West coastal states: 39,758

East coastal states: 29,542

Back in the 70's Portland was the No. 1 importer of Datsuns and Seattle was the No. 2 importer. That is why there are so many in the Great NorthWet.

This info was passed on to me by are fellow Ratsuner and Datsun Guru Ray Stonehocker of Garageautohero:D

Francis Heights is correct :D

I Grew up in Longmont, Littleton, and Highlands Ranch a bit. A lot of my family still lives in/near Denver though.

Looks like you got to live in some nice areas. I can't believe how much the Denver Metro area has grown. It is still a nice place to live, but it is getting too crowded and there is getting to be too much crime. :(

I miss the 70s and the 80s.....those were good times in the Mile High City! E