Fusible link decision

athoose

FuseableLink.jpg

Red fusible link was kinda toasted on my 1980 200sx so I am looking to replace it.

Picked up another red fusible link wire off a mid eighties Nissan. While it's red and diameter is close, the number of wires are fewer say 12 on original wire, 7 on the new. Will this make a difference? Are these both around 50A? Will buy a new one once I figure out what is going on. Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

scrap that crap!

Couldn't agree more, fusible links are for the birds. Go to a junk yard and buy a REAL fuse block for the 5 bucks. Will save you lots of time, aggravation and it's flat out safer.

All cars use fusible links. Don't rely only on a fuse box, also protect your main wiring harness with a fusible link.

Can you please explain to me how ALL cars use fusible links?

Because I venture to say that's bs. All cars use fuses, fusible links are a certain type of antiquated, dangerous and discontinued fuse that is no longer used for good reason.

Just about all manufactures of automobiles have switched to fuse elements or maxi fuses.

I like the idea of switching to a fuse box with Maxi etc... but my understanding is that fusible links will not blow with quick spikes like fuses do.

Shouldn't be any quick spikes other than real trouble. Ignoring that, once you fix the cause, what's gonna be in you or your buddy's glove box; a spare fuse or fusible wire? :rolleyes:

Can you please explain to me how ALL cars use fusible links?

Just about all manufactures of automobiles have switched to fuse elements or maxi fuses.

same difference.

the system is still 'fused', w/a maxi fuse, its just easier to replace it.

the wire(element) is shorter, but operates on the same principle-excess current=protect the wiring, comp, etc...

same difference.

the system is still 'fused', w/a maxi fuse, its just easier to replace it.

the wire(element) is shorter, but operates on the same principle-excess current=protect the wiring, comp, etc...

No its not the same difference, it is completely incorrect. Fusible links are a certain type of fuse and saying all use it is 100% wrong, not debatable. The issue was never whether all systems are fused or not. They are more then just easier to change, there are many other differences most of which result in fusible links being inferior. Idk about other people but when I have an inferior part on my car I replace it.

I don't understand the resistance here either. If someone was having trouble with carbs and someone said "go FI" would you all be saying oh well its the same difference, the engine runs a a/f mix who cares how it gets there? No, same principals, different parts and one will always be superior to another.

Fusible links = fail, the end.