Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

The original 66 520 steering box rag joint mod and shortened column was given to Gene Knight.  I am running a 1980 720 regular cab chassis now. I am happy you found this thread finney.  It gets buried quickly.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Brother, Gene and Pacific Coast Datsun (PCD Mark) came over and for lack of a better term we gang banged my 520 today.  Mark and I leveled the frame , then leveled the cab, and then the bed.

Mark went to work on the back of the drivers side bed.  The worst area in my opinion.  He did a great job getting it roughed in.

Gene helped where he was needed but Gene did a great job in two ways.  First he showed up with pizzas and second while I was finishing up on the bed mounts he cleaned up the mess and put everything back in the garage for me.

My brother shortened the angle on the drivers side engine mount to level out the engine.  He then tacked on the rear bed mounts he made for me.  The driver side front bed mount is 1/4" to high so tomorrow I will cut it off and tack it back on at the correct height.  He will be back over to finish the welding on the bed mounts after work before Wednesday. 

I have surgery on Thursday and will be bed ridden for at least 10 days.  The plan is that on Saturday morning Mark will take my king cab hook up my 520 to it with a tow bar and take it to my brother's house and shoot it with primer.

Thank you for all the help today guys.

Bed mounts.

DSC01964.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

DSC01966.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

• Like 2

Mark it is always a pleasure to visit and work with you.

Well put my steering column in a it is to short to couple up to steering gear box.  Easy fix though just need to lengthen it about 3" under the hood.  Everything in the cab stays the same.

Working on stripping the rest of the cab paint and filling holes in the bed rail.

• Like 1

ol' 320 thank you.  I am trying hard to get it together enough to have it at the SWDP Barbecue on Sunday August 23rd 2015.  It is a slow process but I hope to get it there.  I plan on putting the dash, heater, and  AC in it.  I remember you had a question about clearance of the AC. 

ol' 320 if you and/or any one else are free on Sunday come on out to Martin Tudor Park in Fontana CA from 8am till 6.20pm. As in years past the bbq will be pot luck so please bring something for the grill if you can....this system works well & everybody gets a chance to eat. Heres a link to the park with directions & all the info you need to know.  https://www.fontana.org/Facilities.aspx?Page=detail&RID=17

• Like 1

Survived the surgery, nose packing comes out Monday morning.  I am down until Monday the 17th.

Mark and my brother will be taking my 520 cab & bed to my brothers house tonight after my brother welds up the driver's side floor.

Tomorrow morning the cab and bed will get a coat of lacquer primer.

• Like 2

Cab and bed went to my brothers last night.  My brother and Mark will start on it in the morning.  My brother will be welding and Mark will be sanding and prepping for primer.

Unfortunately Wednesday night I came home from helping my brother around 9:30 pm to a garage full of water.  Water heater blew!  unfortunately when they built our house the garage floor was pored so it pools about 1" of water instead of draining out the door.  My truck being mostly bare metal looked like it was stored outside in Portland.  Mark said it should sand right off though.

Hardest part for me is staying home staying quiet so I can heal up.

I found out that the Doctor's post surgery orders ore to be followed. I went out to the garage this morning after being released from the surgery center and started cleaning out my cab so it could be removed from the frame.  The heat and the elevated heart rate caused my nose to start bleeding.  So I am down until I heal.

I will post pictures of the what is done today.

It is getting closer.

I can count Gene out for helping me on the weekend standing excuse is wife wants to do something. 

• Like 2

Here are more pictures Gene took.  Gene if you send pictures as attachments in 1 email instead of 10 emails it is easier to move into photo bucket.  Thank you for taking and sending pictures.  5 of your emails went to spam folder not sure why.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Farmer.  It is nice to be out of commission and still be able to have family and friends get things done.  I hope to be back on it next weekend but it all depends on how my nose heals from surgery.

I try to treat people like I like to be treated.

• Like 2