510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.... This is very strange. I have two Photobucket accounts, my old one has been fine with like 30 pages of pictures I have hosted on several sites... The new one, though, apparently has less bandwidth available? I dunno... I'll have it all fixed ASAp for you guys!

sucks to hear about some wack parts but by the sound of it its just a little clean up

unfortunatly the links to the pics.....

lmao you know im only messin with ya

Yeah, like I said, I'd have paid the price I did anyway, but I was under the impression this kit would basically be a bolt on... Not a bunch of booger welds, busted supercharger, hack job shit, etc...

It is what it is, and most of it can be used after it's cleaned up and modified. Alternator bracket will be insanely easy to recreate.

510 Envy, if you can edit your reply and delete all the pictures from it, that'd be rad... Thanks, man.

Haha, Goatee, yeah! Build up the suspense, and tell people I posted pictures that don't show up, and mo'fuckers come out of the woodwork to flame me!!!

LOL!! All the pictures were copied over to my other album, which mysteriously is now able to host all it wants with no issues.... Good times!

Yeah, so current plan of attack is to continue polishing the intake I had, see where it takes me... and take the new one to a powdercoater and see about some Chrome powdercoating like my suspension. Should look just as slick, but be way easier to maintain and way easier to do for me... I have a feeling the blower will get too hot for typical powdercoating, so we'll see what they say at that point...

I need to drop off the oil pan up at FBI on Monday/Tuesday as well, and get it all did up.

Nahhhh, I'm not too worried about it! Like I said, for the price I paid for everything, it's turning out to be totally worth it. Spend some time with the plasma, the welder, some paint and polish... It'll be just as baller as the rest of the build!!

Just because I didn't expect it to be what it was doesn't mean I'm upset with what I got! I will make full use of pretty much everything I got!

I won't be getting any real work done tonight... Just a little local bragging and picture-sharing at the meet! This weekend, I'm going to de-blingify my engine bay, and swap the red valve cover and polished timing cover onto the spare block, so it's even more ready to drop in when the time comes.

I read up a little bit on how to take the guts out of these superchargers, and it seems pretty straight forward. I'll try my hand at it on the blown blower, and inspect the walls and get a closer look at the rotors, though I have a feeling it's beyond salvaging.

If the housing is in good shape, though, I'll be running over and getting it coated. S14 intake manifold will get coated at the same time, too, so I need to buy some degreaser and get busy. I'll also be cleaning up the plates and tracing a template of the tensioner, so we can try to revise the design and get that figured out.

With my oil cooler lines, I think I can get away with swapping the straights on the block for the elbows on the relocation bracket and still not have to buy more line. At least... That's what I'm hoping for!! I'm probably going to have to move the bracket, though, so the lines won't be making as harsh an angle to get to the cooler...

I went ahead and bought a few top secret parts, too... I saw them and HAD to have them! You'll have pictures in the next week or so!

Clutch and shifter will be first on the list for next paycheck.

Looks like a lot of fun! Are you going to fab a bracket to hold the supercharger up as well, or is it just supported by the manifold?

Typically, they're just supported by the intake manifold. I'll be tying into the motor mount and tossing a supportive bracket on it as well. For the extra security, I think it's worth it. It's really coming together now... I need to figure out what kinds of bolts it needs and rack up a bill at Ace Hardware!

Even the single cam slammers can be fun! Plenty of torque to make a fun driver!!

Pretty much everywhere I bring pictures, the idea of a supercharged KA is bringing some very warm welcome, which is kind of cool. It'll be nice to get it running and prove them all it CAN be done!

Decided to open up the good Eaton yesterday, inspect it, clean it, modify it.... I was going to have to port the wastegate area to get it flowing better and to relieve some of that boost when we get rolling anyway... And we needed to weld up those noise reducers, so it was time for disassembly.

IMG00244-20090921-1446.jpg

Only 8 bolts hold this thing together... Pretty easy design! Take off the bolts, whack it with a hammer real quick, and you've got it open - OH SHIT!!

IMG00245-20090921-1453.jpg

Oh my god... That is the worst smell ever. Worse than gear oil. It's like... burning gear oil with tires tossed on to fuel it. Well THAT was fun! Ah well, live and learn. I guess that's what the drain plug is for... My mistake for not thinking.

Here's some random shots of the guts.

IMG00246-20090921-1458.jpg

IMG00248-20090921-1502.jpg

IMG00249-20090921-1502.jpg

IMG00250-20090921-1511.jpg

And midway through, USPS delivered some floor mats for me. Perfect fitment! Plus they're sick!!! This was one of the fun surprises that I mentioned earlier... Good times!

IMG00251-20090921-1555.jpg

IMG00253-20090921-1555.jpg

Then I got to porting...

I might try to get some more work done today, too... I'll let y'all know! Oil pan should be getting welded up this week, so I'll be able to toss that on after it's painted! I'll keep y'all updated!

So I've had a few people complain that I'm not updating enough!

For the most part, I'm waiting for copies of the adapter plate to be made before I can make any real progress as far as fabrication and final mockup/assembly. I'm also waiting to get paid (got bills to pay, yo!).

I did get the oil pan welded up yesterday, and ended up getting the supercharger housing silencer holes welded up today! It's just a small skid plate on the oil pan, but as Phil said, "If you manage to ruin your oil pan with this on there, you were doing something wrong!"

IMG00258-20090925-0854.jpg

IMG00263-20090925-0854.jpg

IMG00259-20090925-0854.jpg

Then I cleaned, sanded and primed it, ready for paint:

IMG00264-20090925-1002.jpg

Then hit it with a few coats of True Blue (same as transmission) and some clear over it.

IMG00265-20090925-1040.jpg

IMG00267-20090925-1040.jpg

IMG00269-20090925-1105.jpg

And here's the picture of the welding on the supercharger that Phil sent me this morning. I'll finish porting the blower this weekend/Monday/Tuesday, and clean it up and maybe take it to get a quote on powdercoating (same with the intake manifold).

photo6.jpg

I should be getting my wiring harness this afternoon, so the next big project is stripping it down to the bare essentials, shortening it and figuring out where it's going to tuck. Should be a nightmare!!

Hope this tides you all over until next time!

Thanks, the oil pan SHOULDN'T have had any issues even without the skid plate... But I do want to go a little lower front and rear, and scraping the crossmember once already makes me want it for the extra reassurance!

I'll be stoked to see what it looks like bolted on the motor! And Phil... The motor is NOT going all blue, regardless of how "Smurftastic" it'd be! I like the clash of colors...

I am, however, ordering one of the TiTek magnetic oil drain plugs... For the price, it's a great investment to make sure the metal stays out of the motor! Plus they come in Red, Blue or Gold!

Which color should I get?

I found mine on http://heavyindustrie-s.com/default.aspx (Under S13 - Engine parts, midway down the page)

I do a lot of my browsing on their site, it's well organized and they have 510 stuff to look at, too. They're about $25.00 after tax and all that noise from this site, which (in my opinion) is worth the added security. However, I have found better deals on the same items from different stores before, so I'm still doing my shopping.

I wouldn't trust Ebay parts like that... I'd hate for the magnet to come out, find it's way to the crank and work it's way around from there! At least TiTek has been used on a fair amount of 240sx's and never shown any issues (to my knowledge!).

Okay, so I lied. I decided on an MFactory plug. They're cheaper, the magnet is stronger, the crush washer looks to be better, and they've been well-used, too.

http://www.teammfactory.com/products.php?category=Magnetic%20Drain%20Plugs

Downside is that they don't come in sweet, hipster colors. Shame! Haha, no worries, I've got enough color to go around!