Bay area Datsun/Ratsuners?

agentalpha

I don't have an real event to post yet, but I'd like to change that.

It seems to me all the meets are either in SoCal,

or Washington. Which is a 500+ mile drive for us here in the middle.

What gives?

I know for fact there are quite a few of us @ the S.F. Bay Area, + or - an hour's drive.

So I am suggesting we plan a meet of some sorts for when the weather is warmer..

I'd like to meet more of you,

and it always helps to know more people into the same things as you

to keep the project moving, or on the road...

Whatcha think?

Edited by agentalpha
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not mind meeting up. for me sf is best or maybe as far as Oakland,berkeley,san jose. I was wanting to do a meet also but with work it has been hard for me to email or message others to meet but since you brought it up I would like to meet others also

Benzo

I was maybe thinking of the Marina area in San Leandro, but I don't know a lot of areas that would be good here, just moving back, and all.

Me myself, I'd rather meet somewhere with lotsa parking, BBQ pits, Picnic tables, trees, but I'm a outdoorsy kinda guy...

And the Marina isn't "woodsy".

yeah a outdoors place is cool. a place with parking and maybe eating or bbq spot is cool. maybe if there is a spot that would offer parking given attendees contribute something or buy some food that would be cool. I wonder about those 1/4 lb burger joints like in hayward if they would do something like that or a Mel's drive in or In and Out.

I'd like to suggest San Rafael, CA next to the Civic Center Auditorium. It's free. Huge park, BBQ's and huge parking lots. They have the annual Marin Fair in the area.

I'm willing to drive 100 or so miles each way. :D

Haha...we're all going to want a place that's near each one of us...I would suggest to post a poll on where we're from and just pick a place that's close to the majority of those of us that want to attend to ensure a decent turn out.

I live in Sacramento, but I'm down for any of the places you guys listed. I like the idea of free, big parking lot and BBQ. Another place I know a lot of 240sx guys like to hit is Treasure Island, right outside SF. They've got BBQ pits and whatnot. But a change of pace is always nice, I'm willing to make the drive. Just set it up and spread it around!

Ohh! Make sure you guys make it to the swap meet in Sacramento. February 21'st. Should be huge. Anyway, just thought I'd toss that out there, I'll set up an event thread when I find the page it's posted on.

I thought the middle of the bay, would be a nice average place, within the highest population density. Would be doable for the folks in Sac, but also for someone in Salinas or Stockton. And even further if they are hardcore.

Treasure Island? Interesting suggestion. Never been there much beyond the off ramps back in the 80's to watch a battleship or aircraft carrier or some other huge ship to sail in. Been so long I can't remember which, but I actually think it was a Battleship. The only thing about that is, that is an extra 10 mile one way trip that you have to pay 4 bucks to take, plus extra gas. And if someone isn't familiar with San Fran, it's REALLY easy to get lost, just flipping back toward Oakland.

You know Mel's? You in Hayward too, Bro? Prob there would be parking, if lotsa folks show. Plus, if someone wanted to have a beer, or whatev...

Now, I am willing to really scope this out, and try to make this killer fun for everyone, but I've heard some horror stories about people planning meets, and like 3 or 4 people showing. That's UBER LAME, and only hurts you in the long run. I personally feel it's really in all of our benefit to make a decent effort to make contacts and support each other for this hobby.

Tonight I had the chance to meet 3 other folks from this forum. AWESOME people, helped me out with some wiring and vacuum questions I had on Inline4's 510/KA swap. THAT'S what we all could use more of. Saved me(and the owner) a LOTTA headache.

And, I would LIKE for those of us who make/fabricate parts to be able to show the rest of us what they do, to help them, to help us, but that MIGHT complicate things. We'll see.

My suggestion is @ March.

PLENTY of time for EVERYONE to make plans within an hour or so drive to represent.

Please keep suggestions coming for locations, ideas, and voice your opinion.

Edited by agentalpha

Im down. What about Chabot park. Central to everyone with access from 880 and 580 and they have picnic areas and also some twisties to cruise afterwards?

Did ya borrow Joes bike? Does this mean you set a deadline for getting your Z back on the road?

Good to meet everybody yesterday too. I look foreward to many more.

Edited by Fineline
I thought the middle of the bay, would be a nice average place, within the highest population density. Would be doable for the folks in Sac, but also for someone in Salinas or Stockton. And even further if they are hardcore.

Treasure Island? Interesting suggestion. Never been there much beyond the off ramps back in the 80's to watch a battleship or aircraft carrier or some other huge ship to sail in. Been so long I can't remember which, but I actually think it was a Battleship. The only thing about that is, that is an extra 10 mile one way trip that you have to pay 4 bucks to take, plus extra gas. And if someone isn't familiar with San Fran, it's REALLY easy to get lost, just flipping back toward Oakland.

You know Mel's? You in Hayward too, Bro? Prob there would be parking, if lotsa folks show. Plus, if someone wanted to have a beer, or whatev...

Now, I am willing to really scope this out, and try to make this killer fun for everyone, but I've heard some horror stories about people planning meets, and like 3 or 4 people showing. That's UBER LAME, and only hurts you in the long run. I personally feel it's really in all of our benefit to make a decent effort to make contacts and support each other for this hobby.

Tonight I had the chance to meet 3 other folks from this forum. AWESOME people, helped me out with some wiring and vacuum questions I had on Inline4's 510/KA swap. THAT'S what we all could use more of. Saved me(and the owner) a LOTTA headache.

And, I would LIKE for those of us who make/fabricate parts to be able to show the rest of us what they do, to help them, to help us, but that MIGHT complicate things. We'll see.

My suggestion is @ March.

PLENTY of time for EVERYONE to make plans within an hour or so drive to represent.

Please keep suggestions coming for locations, ideas, and voice your opinion.

I agree traffic in the East bay would be lot better than the other side. If you want to see a carrier up close there's Alameda. Lots of parking around there and no toll. Mare Island in Vallejo is a great place. There's a museum and a little park full of old guns and stuff.

http://www.mareislandhpf.org/news.html

The only place to see a Battleship(from a distance) is near Benicia, in the moth ball fleet at the foot of Lake Herman Rd. No place to gather there though.

It was your idea, you should decide on the date/venue.

Edited by Orange620

You seem like a heckuva guy, B!!

Look forward to bangin' the crap outta those kingpins today!:D

Lake Chabot? I completely forgot about that park! I used to camp and fish there back in the day. Can't believe I forgot about it. My only concern is simple would it be for folks to get to? I sure can't recall. If it's a fairly easy straight shot for out of towner's, and we can find a decently large parking area with some picnic tables, that might be perfect!!

I know San Leandro marina is UBER easy to get to, but my concern there is how windy it gets there. That can be very annoying during a picnic, or if someone wanted to make an audio or video clip.

I have a buddy who lives in Alameda. How many people can say that they can see the masts of a huge sailing ship from their backyard?:D I am interested in the things you listed, but I would like to keep this event all about "Datsun" and "Ratsuner's". I don't need to be wandering off, distracted by big, beautiful maritime machinery.:rolleyes: Another thing is, it's kinda strange how you get on the Island. Might get people lost in downtown Oakland!:eek: I thought they scrapped all of the Battleships. Last time I was up north, where the old yard was, all I saw was a very small handful of sad, pathetic looking cargo's.

I would be willing to meet up with anyone, anytime pretty much, myself. ALWAYS down to help anyone out, especially after I finish Inline4's KA swap(almost there!!). ANYONE feel free to drop me a PM, if ya want to wrench or hang!:)

I noticed there is a weekly cruise-in at a Starbuck's Coffee in San Diego that is going very, VERY well. I'd be willing to bet when the weather gets REALLY nice, it will be effin' huge, and it's only been going(from what I can tell) this winter. I'm really happy for those guys that they are building a nice group of Olde Skool Import friends down there. Really seems to be growing and growing!! The S.F Bay DEFINITELY needs something like this as well.:D

Edited by agentalpha
this sounds cool man another guy and i set up a sac meet where 4 people were there:mellow: it was still fun though i would like to go if time and money allows

I heard about a meet up at a local Krispy Kreme's a few years back that was the same deal.

The guys that flake and don't make any real effort only hurt themselves in the long run, though. Think about it. Who couldn't use more good local friends, and friends that have an affection for 25+ year old Japanese cars? It's not like we are working on common car and trucks here, like a 'Stang or Camaro, where you can buy EVERYTHING for it new.

Banding together is very important for old cars, even more so for us.

If you CAN get down here, it would be good to see ya again, Bro!!

One other idea that I would like to sort out is food.

I would like for us to enjoy a cookout-BBQ picnic.

Thing is, I want everyone who shows to eat well, but don't want to be stuck with lotsa extra food that goes uneaten.

So, maybe if those who will commit to showing, my idea is PayPal @ 5 bucks or so to cover it, and get all the food they can eat?

Hamburgers, hot dogs, condiments, buns, chips, potato salad, soda, water, napkins, tableware, cups, plates?

Missing anything?

Does that sound like a good idea, everyone?

Edited by agentalpha

I like the general idea, but why limit it to just Datsuns? My first choice in classic imports is Datsun, but I also have other marquees in my fleet. There are some very nice Honda's, Mitsu's and Mazda's out there in much smaller quantities with as much or more love put into them. (think it's hard to find good Datto parts?) If it's to be a 'Ratsun" only meet, that's fine, I'd still most likely show, but I think the more classic japanese car owners you can include, the better. Don't want to turn into Z snobs, do we? :)

Mark

I personally would like to see other Marques there.

And I was thinking this should be more of a picnic meet and greet thing, not really a swap meet. But, if some guys here have a business they want to promote, if the can bring samples and business cards, that would be cool.

I guess choose a spot and I guess just stick to it and we can all do another location for future locations. I just think a spot just needs to be designated. as for bbq'in I am cool with that. Personally if I was hosting the meet I would supply the grill and coals but others attending should bring food or drinks. I would definitely bring food to cook and drinks. (hot dogs or links or short ribs or burgers). Let me (us) know a spot and date and I we can go from there.