Wondering Wonda

my trucks always kinda followed the runs an crap on the freeway an shit but lately its a little saucey...

basicly she tugs both ways even when not going very fast, i mean not a jerk the wheel out of your hands kinda thing but u kinda gotta keep pressure on the wheel in opposite of the direction shes wondering.. if that makes sense..

plus on the free way it feels like shes got a shimmy or a wobble .. could this just be the Carrier bearing?

i had to pry on the torsion bars a little to get the trans in and out a few times but nothin major..

think she just might need an alignment and a carrier bearing? or?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

last i knew there was no wheel play i will double check that, and would there be a sound the wheel bearing would make.. an if i recall correctly from when i did the beebani brake swap the bearings were in good condition..

you dont think tweakin the torsions a little to get the trans in an out would do anything?

hmm i havent thought about that...

ok after some searching i cant find anything out about it so im gonna just ask

is there anything special needed to adjust the steering box... and whats the procedure?

Just have dwnshfter start four new threads to get your answer.

yea its been sittin a while but my friend has been drivin it the past few days accross town an back..

i used to do construction clean up, an the dump truck tires did that... every morning for atleast the first 10 miles or so it was thump thump thump thump man that was so annoying..

but i did think about that, an it is possible i suppose..

basicly im gonna jack up the front wiggle the wheels around, adjust the streering box.. an if that doesnt help im gonna greese the tie rods an stuff.. if that dont work i will take her in for an alignment..

an when i get it fixed im gonna swap in some different fluid like mikey suggested.. wouldnt suprise me if it was sludge in there..

im think the carrier bearing may account for the slight vibration shimmy feel/sound on the freeway...

• 3 weeks later...
hey i was stoned man, hence the creative name to begin with.. i could just named the thread.. my truck dont steer straight sometimes lol

lynch, you adjust the steering box yet? Dude at the alignment shop told me mine was loose. Figure it was as my truck wanders as well. Just slightly tho. How much of an improvement did it make?

Anyone have links for oil to replace the stock stuff in the steering box? Im sure there is supposed to be a certain weight oil in there...

Gonna check the fsm

Jack the front up on both sides so the wheels are free to turn. Loosen lock nut and turn screw in. (I think this reduces the gear lash)

Keep in mind that most gear wear is in the middle straight ahead position and if you remove all the slop the gears may bind when turning out of the wear area. Nothing worse than making a tight turn and the steering wheel won't return!!!

Make a small adjustment and then turn lock to lock with one finger looking for any tightness. Adjust as close as you can but still smooth and easy to turn. Tighten lock nut and test again. Over-tight box will only wear it out sooner. Use the same GL-4 oil used in the transmission 80 W 90 will do. Do NOT use hydraulic oil!. Who knows what lubricating properties and anti scuff additives it has to protect the gear surfaces and bearings

Steve's right on about the idler arm. Pull and tug on all steering components there should be no looseness or play in any of the ball joints. Remember the steering box has a ratio of 19 to 1 so 0.052" of play will produce 1" of steering free play. There could be a small amount in several components... it all adds up.

Edited by datzenmike
Jack the front up on both sides so the wheels are free to turn. Loosen lock nut and turn screw in. (I think this reduces the gear lash)

Keep in mind that most gear wear is in the middle straight ahead position and if you remove all the slop the gears may bind when turning out of the wear area. Nothing worse than making a tight turn and the steering wheel won't return!!!

Make a small adjustment and then turn lock to lock with one finger looking for any tightness. Adjust as close as you can but still smooth and easy to turn. Tighten lock nut and test again. Over-tight box will only wear it out sooner. Use the same GL-4 oil used in the transmission 80 W 90 will do. Do NOT use hydraulic oil!. Who knows what lubricating properties and anti scuff additives it has to protect the gear surfaces and bearings

does anyone have a pic of the steering box, and can tell me wich to loosen & tighten?

There's only one nut with a screwdriver slot in the center. Here's another box (200sx) but you get the idea...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Standardsteering80200sx.jpg[/img]"]Standardsteering80200sx.jpg

Anyone notice this looks like a 510 box???

Edited by datzenmike