1st gen LUV turbo diesel

so this is what me and my buddy have been workin on for the last couple of months.

its a 1977 chevy luv with a 1981 2.2l isuzu diesel. he did the swap from gas to diesel about a year back, and has been collecting parts to turbo it for about 6 months now.

so a couple weeks ago he finally got the correct turbo, and we started workin on it.

the truck is also bagged. we bagged it about 2 years ago.

so heres some pictures of what weve gotten done over that last couple of weeks.

0103091428.jpg

0103091428a.jpg

0103091700.jpg

0103091719.jpg

0103091719a.jpg

0103091721.jpg

so weve got everything done, except the oil lines for the turbo. so well be gettin those tomorrow, and hopefully gettin startin it up. ill get a video if we start it up.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like you have decent welding skills, why not cut the intake manifold off at the runners and turn it upside down?

Post up some pics of the truck!!!

the intake is aluminum and we dont have a tig or anything. so thats how ill have to be.

i give him shit about the wiring all the time. lol

I really like the idea of this swap, Turbo diesel in a minitruck just to be different.

I think that that intake piece could look a lot cleaner if you were to use a piece of mandrel bent 180 degree bent tubing like you find in universal header kits, you can buy them individually too. Might be worth a shot.

Cool swap though

well the swap has only cost $120 including the turbo and manifold. the welded piece did look nice when i was done welding it, but it didnt quite fit. so my buddy welded it back up and ground down the welds.

pretty much this setup is just to get the turbo system working, and to get the truck driving again. when he gets some cash hes gonna get mod the intake and run an intercooler.

i should be able to get some more pic of it here in maybe a week or two. the bed is off right now, and were waiting for a one way valve for the air compressor. once we get the bed back on and the oil lines for the turbo done, then well have it out for some picture takin.

its current state...

1203082030a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1203082030a.jpg

That the compressor at the back???

How much are they and how much max pressure can they put out??

yeah thats the compressor for the airbag system. its an air zenith. theyre like 300bux and they will do 200psi. but 200 takes a long time.

honestly if your looking for a compressor id go for a viair brand.

I love the diesel idea. I've been looking at '82 Nissan pickups with the diesel motor with the intention of making a freeway commuter car to run on Veggie oil.

Unfortunately, everyone else has too, and the asking prices are sky high right now. :(

AWESOME build.

Love the 1st Gen LUV bodystyle.

I miss mine.

One thing I noticed.

If you were going to bother TIG welding parts, why not cut the intake, and flip the inlet directly above the Turbo outlet? It would be a nice straight shot(nearly)into the intake manifold. And all those strange turns(OVER 180*+!:eek:), and that corrugated rad hose are going to hurt the airflow big time...

AWESOME and different.

AWESOME build.

Love the 1st Gen LUV bodystyle.

I miss mine.

One thing I noticed.

If you were going to bother TIG welding parts, why not cut the intake, and flip the inlet directly above the Turbo outlet? It would be a nice straight shot(nearly)into the intake manifold. And all those strange turns(OVER 180*+!:eek:), and that corrugated rad hose are going to hurt the airflow big time...

AWESOME and different.

thanks for the compliments everyone.

agent, like i said near the beginning of the post, we dont have a way to weld the aluminum intake. if we did, then it wouldnt even have a stock intake. the charge pipe isnt radiator hose either. ghetto as it maybe be, its gas filler hose. smooth inside and out and with wire reinforcement. dont think its hindering any airflow.

Oh, sorry. I missed that. No offense or insults meant, Sir. I love the build.

Over all, I think it's AWESOME. :D

I think the economy and torque you will make are a killer combo, in one of the best looking mini's ever.

If you wished, you could probably measure and cut the parts yourself, and find someone to TIG it for you. If you do, bevel the outside edges of the cut, so they can reach everything easily, TIGing the seam from the inside, out, filling along the way.

I know I would, if that LUV were mine. And even if the inside of the filler hose is smooth, the 190*+ U-turn the airflow has to make is hugely awkward. Bet you lose a LOT of flow. I used to know the ratio for 45*, 90*, ect. You lose quite a bit over 45*. I'd bet it would be @ $60 very well spent. :D

Even if you DON'T reform the intake, AWESOME truck.

• 1 month later...