EGR tube cracked

420n620

I'm not a welder by trade so thats why the question. I was wondering if someone could tell me if I could weld on this tube, It looks to be made of stainless steel, can I use my wire feed wire for fixing it or could I put a copper collar/sleeve on it and soldier it to give it more strength-en in that area so this wont happen again.

IMG_1741-1.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the soldier was just a thought and wood be a fail.

can the tube be welded on or will I have to find another one.

this is stopping me from getting the motor back into the 620.chit

does anyone have a good one for sale,,, opps I guess I'll ask that on the wanted thread. thats not a fail. ha ha

smog laws are not required where I live - as of yet. I just want to keep the trk stock and original as possible, its low mileage, been repainted once and not alot of bad rusted out areas.

I'm going to try tomorrow and see if I can weld it up, got to get this part of the project done so I can get on the other 2 - 620's finished by summer. plus I have a pontiac motor to put together, another project that needs finished by summer. to much chit going on.

Pretty sure those egr tubes are SS I'm guessing if you try hitting it with a wire feed you'll blow it out bigger, I hope you have SS wire in your machine??. I'm not 100% but ya might be able to braze it . The best method would have someone tig weld it for you. I'd help ya out with the tig process, but I'm a long ways away

thats what I'm afraid of, blowing a bigger hole in it. I''ll look around and see if I can find someone to tig it or go to a JY and find one, what ever is the cheapest route. Thanks for ur inputs, very appreciated.

curvy, I wish I knew that answer.

Edited by 420n620
thats what I'm afraid of, blowing a bigger hole in it. I''ll look around and see if I can find someone to tig it or go to a JY and find one, what ever is the cheapest route. Thanks for ur inputs, very appreciated.

curvy, I wish I knew that answer.

It's S shaped to allow for heat expansion and it's easier to line up the ends to get the threads started. Maybe to allow the inert exhaust to cool some before it's injected into the intake. The Z engines are even longer and go around behind the head to the passenger side to the intake.

I think the tubes are SS too. I've worked with SS and it turns a dull golden or straw color when heated above 700 degrees.Stainless may not rust but it's not impervious to the corrosive exhaust gasses over time. I've seen lots of 720 ones rotted along the length like an exhaust pipe.

I haven't thought of that but I dont want a temporary repair..

on a nauther note::

I might have located one here in the LC valley..

but as I like to say,

nothing is for sure until it's in your hands.