Leather wrapping an ST steering wheel

I found one not priced outrageously and picked it up. I would like to put one of those black leather wraps on it, but have never attempted. Anyone accomplished in this endeavor who could point the way? It is my hope that it is a time intensive low skill process, because it must be that or a high skill process, as materials to complete a wrap are under $100 even in "kit" form, yet those wrapping wheels charge $350 minimum (most much more)

Guidance is appreciated. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did one some years ago,& went easier than I thought it would.

Just take your time,& you shouldn't have a problem.I also recall not

having a problem with the feel of the lacing either.

• Like 1
On 7/26/2024 at 5:00 PM, datzenmike said:

Is it lace on? I like the tactile sensation and grip of touching leather but not the lacing. It's intrusive, distracting and abrasive. 

22 hours ago, angliagt said:

I did one some years ago,& went easier than I thought it would.

Just take your time,& you shouldn't have a problem.I also recall not

having a problem with the feel of the lacing either.

there  is lacing but it isnt a problem. happen to know a good place to score a ST wheel wrapping kit?

My Googlefu still yields nada. There are a bunch of Universal kits and Summit has some round ones that bolt on (not sure how that would work) The only part that seems off are those little extra bits that extend onto the face of the ST wheel, three squarish spots that extend on each of the three spokes. Any ideas how the leather is formed around those? 

Has anyone had success with dye? I avoid dye as I have had problems with changing OEM color parts in the past with dye, but that was a couple decades back and there might be new developements. Ideas? I would go black to make color coverage easier if I went dye.

Believe it or not, modern OE leather-wrapped wheels still are done by hand stitching.  There is no good way to do this by machine and get good results.  There are some savings of course from economies of scale with die-cut leather pieces.

• Like 2

I did an st wheel for my 510. It turned out pretty good for a first timer. It wasn’t too hard. Just watch a few YouTube videos on the process.

*update* - My notes from 8 years ago says, it was kind of a pain. lol. Who knows.. I'd do it again for sure.

Edited by Draker
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Draker said:

27. If you click the arrow it takes you there. Kinda confusing link honestly.

Cool. Yeah, I never got that arrow thingy, but now I get it.

Every time I ask my upholstery guy about leather he steers me away from it. He tells me it shrinks and pulls stitching over time.

• Like 1