Any other motorcycle enthusiasts here?

On 7/5/2024 at 11:42 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

Now if Owners of Husqvarna(KTM) could make a retro of the 70s bikes single cylinder that would be the shit. Low seat height.like a dual sport

They seem to be stuck on these retro futuristic "blade runner" style bikes right now... 😄

Tahnee-PerthGirl-FeaturedImage.jpg

Which is honestly just a reskinned KTM Duke at this point...  😋

• Like 1
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/5/2024 at 7:44 PM, EDM620 said:

only have my CRF230L remaining.

Since becoming one with a cane a few years back I still manage to thoughly enjoy riding the bike as it is a blast around town, so light and nimble - and skinny for my F'd up hips - that I'm begrudgingly considering selling it. Wife has pre-approved a replacement

Dumb question: If you like it, why sell that one just to buy another? Just wanting something faster/newer/different?

1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

Speaking of retro design, anyone interested in EVs at all? The new Can Am bikes are pretty dang cool, and I really want one of these...

I imagine that the torque on that bike is crazy.   I know it's twisted thinking about it, but I always felt that having a somewhat loud bike made me a bit safer in traffic.  If an electric bike was quiet as the cars are, that might not be the best thing in a dense urban area. 

My 11 year old son Cary and I ride at least once a week. Mostly mountain riding but the occasional trip to the track. I had a 2009 KTM 300XC, but I sold it last year in favor of my 30 year old XR400 (with CRF450 forks and a street legal kit). Last week I decided I couldn't keep up with my son anymore.

Here's a pic from last year. Man it's crazy how fast these kids are growing. I bought him a new pair of size 8 boots and a large helmet yesterday...

20230830_160453.jpg?width=960&height=720

20230830_160228.jpg?width=960&height=720

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Duncan said:

I imagine that the torque on that bike is crazy.   I know it's twisted thinking about it, but I always felt that having a somewhat loud bike made me a bit safer in traffic.  If an electric bike was quiet as the cars are, that might not be the best thing in a dense urban area. 

A few random observations...

I do not believe that "loud pipes save lives", but will concede that they do help with low speed traffic and pedestrians in urban areas. 

On average, electric bikes are nowhere near as quiet as an electric car. Since the motor is out in the air, they can be surprisingly loud. I rode a Zero SR/S and at anything below 25-30mph, it wasn't much quieter than my KTM, if at all. 

The biggest takeway from riding an electric bike was how smooth it was (almost zero vibration), and second was the massive amount of torque down low. 

Some of them are actually louder than a typical (stock mufflered) street bike. The Energica bikes have a gear reduction box for the chain drive with straight cut gears which makes them even louder than the Zero. I don't think any of them are quieter than your average Mercedes or Lexus. 

Also they recently passed legislation that says any EV has to emit at least 56db below 20mph to be street legal, due to a recent increase in pedestrian-involved accidents in urban areas with a lot of EVs. 

Edited by datsunfreak
4 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Also they recently passed legislation that says any EV has to emit at least 56db below 20mph to be street legal, due to a recent increase in pedestrian-involved accidents in urban areas with a lot of EVs. 

I only mention it as I used to ride quite a bit when I lived in Los Angeles.  I never though that having an aftermarket exhaust that was a bit louder than stock was life saving.  I just noticed that compared to the stock exhaust, I noticed people checking around because they heard me more than the quieter one.

I'm a lot more careful walking through parking lots these days after having some close calls at the Home Depot. :)  

I actually think an electric bike would be cool.  But my street bike days have been over for quite a while.  (Unfortunately)

• Like 2
On 7/8/2024 at 7:17 AM, datsunfreak said:

Just wanting something faster/newer/different?

The 230 just doesn't go fast enough to ride with safety at highway traffic, tops out too slow. I'd like to ride to work but bypass need freeway speeds else I have to take urban roads which is greater risk, too many idiots can't focus on driving if they have a cell phone anywhere near. Doubt I could even put my boot to someone's mirror these days 😡

On 7/8/2024 at 2:02 PM, datsunfreak said:

legislation that says any EV has to emit at least 56db below 20mph to be street legal

At Pikes Peak everything electric has to emit some serious dB (don't recall the #) even though observers are penned in like cattle, but at least you know when they're coming.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, EDM620 said:

The 230 just doesn't go fast enough to ride with safety at highway traffic, tops out too slow. I'd like to ride to work but bypass need freeway speeds else I have to take urban roads which is greater risk

Makes sense. 👍

KTM 390 Adventure😁

16 hours ago, EDM620 said:

At Pikes Peak everything electric has to emit some serious dB (don't recall the #) even though observers are penned in like cattle, but at least you know when they're coming.

I wonder if that's more for the wildlife in the area? 

Edited by datsunfreak

If anyone is interested I have a 1981 Honda 450r elsinore I plan on getting rid of. It's a big project but I wouldn't want much for it. Rare one year only bike. This isn't a for sale ad just a feeler. 

• Like 2
On 7/10/2024 at 12:59 PM, datsunfreak said:

I wonder if that's more for the wildlife in the area? 

No idea what/if there is wildlife around the course during the event days, but I expect the sound requirement is for worker/spectator safety.

That said, I was disappointed to get there to discover that spectators were corraled into specific designated areas, no more free range viewing thanks to a few idiots who apparently walked out onto the pavement while cars were inbound. Story told that one drunk woman tried to kick a competitor as they raced by. Morons ruin everything.

FWIW, I just checked the 2024 spectator guide (pg 13) and for this year, spectators are only allowed in 2 designated areas - the pit/start and Devils Playground. WTF?? Further in the same guide it lists the previous 7 viewing sites.

Also, there are no more motorcycles allowed to race, after the death of Carlin Dunne during the 2019 race. This was reviewed after the 2021 event, and motorcycle competition remains closed. I was there in 2014 when Bobby Goodin crashed & died moments after crossing the finish line. Story is after crossing the line, he was pumping his fist in the air, lost control and smashed into a boulder at the summit. Mike Ryan crashed his 2400HP Freightliner Cascadia during practice, and went on to ride his Triumph Tiger (Triumph was a major sponser & the Tiger was his pit bike).

• Like 1
10 hours ago, sick620 said:

If anyone is interested I have a 1981 Honda 450r elsinore I plan on getting rid of. It's a big project but I wouldn't want much for it. Rare one year only bike. This isn't a for sale ad just a feeler. 

Now that's a throwback.

Ride Red!

image.png.d3d2a2166eb5cc6e0227ea37a1d7e7a3.png

• Like 3

I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast but I did just pick up two 1982 Yamaha Virago 920s for free. Neither run and neither came with a title, I plan on having the vin numbers ran to see if they are stolen. If not, then I'll apply for a bonded title for the better bike. https://imgur.com/a/rz7zhqK

Edited by Rustbuster78
On 7/25/2024 at 3:19 PM, datsunfreak said:

Yes it is! I actually have a mid-80s Yamaha wannabe-Harley currently collecting dust. Why? Becaise it was free. 😁

That's how it goes, can't pass up a good deal! Some may call me a hoarder😂

• 2 weeks later...