1969 vw bus, what have i gotten myself into?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I managed to figure out the reverse lights accidentally. While I was studying a wiring diagram I realized the one random wire out back is supposed to be connected to power.... 

Then I was able to locate the windshield washer bottle....Screenshot_20240624_193151_Gallery.thumb.jpg.79a1cd2d86c95dd3e32e2558389e0da0.jpg

It was behind the cap on the passenger side.  Screenshot_20240624_193204_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8e4bf5a59f4b17f94e02ccffaf652e52.jpg

20240624_181130.jpg

• Like 1

You actually pressurize the tank with an air pump.... I figure I'll upgrade that to a powered pump and replace the lines that are really dry rotted.... I'll have to add a switch since the one in the dash was more a valve letting the fluid flow...

Cool bus! My 73 type 3 variant (square back) used the spare tire for air pressure for the washer sprayer, it also had the optional gas heater that had some rusty vent pipes so it was bad for fumes and gas mileage.  You always have to check on things regularly with the air cooled V Dubs. I eventually soldmine for $200 because it was rusting away and I had to choose which cars I wanted to pursue fixing. There is so much more after market support for busses and bugs. Have fun and good luck with it.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

And what is this thing....

It's in the engine bay....

I'm guessing fuel related... no wires attached just 2 cut hoses, again assuming fuel line...

Wires are from the lights I'm working on...

20240624_212616.jpg

20240624_212622.jpg

Identical to those used on later '70s Datsuns. It's a vacuum switch to shut off the idle cut solenoid and save the idle gas usually wasted out the exhaust on deceleration. I don't think it should be on a '69 anything.

• Like 2

I managed to get all the lights working. The only lingering issue is the flasher relays.... still need to figure that out... 

As for the brakes someone already messed with the wiring at the master cylinder.  Its supposed to have 2 switches and they deleted one of them... then ran a wire from the brake switch to the back. so I was able to utilize that wire to the brake lights I added.....

Since the lower part of the tail light is basically a flat panel I added 3 leds as a brake light.....

20240625_182521.thumb.jpg.840cbfd696eec3669839cbacadab5dcd.jpg

20240625_183435.thumb.jpg.343dc89dd2254ded80fd616da46cee66.jpg

Apparently no pictures with the actual led installed but you get the idea....

And nothing lit up because I can't reach the pedal and take the Pic.....

But what the tail light looks like.   20240625_205652.thumb.jpg.2bd56b4f5cbdfa30858c25debb8c6bf3.jpg

• Like 2

Oh ya... installed a new voltage regulator.... still a charge issue at idle, but I also think the idle is set low. With just a little thottle its charging properly.. the good think is it is not over charging,  which the old one was, so not a waste of money atleast...

I was able to sort out the brakes today...

Rears seemed good but the fronts were all out.... one side had the springs installed wrong which was causing a rubbing sound.. i fixing that , then had to unstick 1 star adjuster out of 4... yes there are 2 adjusters per side top and bottom behind both wheel cylinders....

Also the left side axle nut was infact left handed.....

The brakes actually stop it now , atleast in the drive way. I'm gonna take for a little test drive tomorrow to make sure...

Also adjusted the park brake... it held but it was at the end of the handle pull.... 

With just a couple things left to fix, we have plates and registration on the way... should be driving it by next week... 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Passed inspection today, and got to take a nice drive around town....

There are a few rattles to take care off but all in all it drives pretty good. 

Atleast the wife can start learning to drive the bus now and we can work on things as she enjoys it....

20240711_181304.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the wife got to finally drive the bus around.. she's getting the whole clutch thing, so far it's just been the local school, it's a could schools in one area so it's a long driveway and a bunch of lots and turns.... perfect place....

Unfortunately the front windshield gasket leaked like crazy...

So I got a gasket, removed the window, and did the inevitable rust repair around the opening, which actually wasn't too bad....

But unfortunately sunday I was unsuccessful with reinstalling. While cleaning the window I noticed a small crack, and when I went to examine it by flipping the glass over the crack expanded top to bottom..... any movement added to it...

Needles to say try to get a new windshield now, insurance says they will cover so I'm waiting for safelight to get back to me....

Worse case I found the glass and I have a seal, I'm hoping they can just reimburse me...

On 6/25/2024 at 6:06 PM, Crashtd420 said:

Oh ya... installed a new voltage regulator.... still a charge issue at idle, but I also think the idle is set low. With just a little thottle its charging properly.. the good think is it is not over charging,  which the old one was, so not a waste of money atleast...

Welcome to generator life. It's not going to charge much at idle. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Welcome to generator life. It's not going to charge much at idle. 

It's not too bad, I bumped the idle up slightly and seems good at idle...

I'm looking at adding ac next year for her. I see 12volt compressors with full ac kits being sold now... at that point I'll upgrade to an alternator.  

Seems i didn't mention the shocks....

I ended up replacing them too, they were completely shot, and the rear had some helper spring poorly attached and was hitting the body making an awful noise....

The new shock gave the bus a nice smooth ride with no noises.... 

We also installed some door seals....

And we purchased replacement windows for the side with new seals....

We go from a solid window with a small wing window to a full slider window....

Yes I suck with the pictures..  

Screenshot_20240712_103906_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1

The windshield arrives on Thursday,  and I'm trying to get the glass guy out to the house on Friday. I was able to use my insurance for the replacement but they require a certified tech does the installation.... 

Friday just happens to be the wife and my 17 yr wedding anniversary,  so we are hoping to drive the bus for a date night.....

20240730_184242.thumb.jpg.9dee4324211db26ae214c1d9fde1dcf1.jpg

All prepped and ready, also painted the front metal part of the dash the same green instead of the black it was....

Also freshened the white up top... mostly the front but blended towards the back, nothing heavy... there were also some patches in the white that exposed the green, so I just cleaned that up some too... 

• Like 1