Who's metal??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of good bands listed here.

Like metal, hard rock, classic rock, some rap i guess.

i didnt see darkest hour mentioned here or opeth i think the name of the band is.

here is a clip of Kris Norris (guitarist from darkest hour) Doing a badass clip from Tranquil.

I am not really up on modern Metal bands. I like alot of the stuff I hear, just not sure who it is. I am an product of the 70s,and 80s. so I am more into the classic rock stuff.

Iron Maiden for sure, Preist, Scorpions, UFO, Rush, Triumph. Ozzy, Blue Murder, QUeensryche, ACDC..stuff along that line...I also like Prog rock like Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson....

I used to be a pretty serious metal head.

HARDCORE.

At least,

until Metallica permanently planted themselves on producer Bob Rock's Teet

(anything after the black album), and Slayer's "Divine Intervention" sound too much like the same 'O, same O' run of the mill, and every album since has too.

After my 2 fav bands got boring, I stopped giving a shit.

I though Pantera was UBER cool on "Coyboys",

and then all their albums started to all sound alike.

Crunch, bellow, crunch, bellow.

I'm mean, tough, angry, evil...

Yawn.

Besides, after 20 years,

I can't listen to the same O' same O' power chords,

fast screaming and bellowing.

Start just all blurring together, riffs, songs, albums, bands.

Nothing new, whatev.

Been listening to that garbage since mid 80's,

so you better be INSANE, and SOUND DIFFERENT, or don't even bother me.

And if all ya do as a vocalist is scream and bellow, give up, all been done before.

BORING.

K.M.F.D.M. WAS pretty killer, but that's Industrial.

Got lame, too.

Disturbed isn't too bad.

Edited by agentalpha
I used to be a pretty serious metal head.

HARDCORE.

At least,

until Metallica permanently planted themselves on producer Bob Rock's Teet

(anything after the black album), and Slayer's "Divine Intervention" sound too much like the same 'O, same O' run of the mill, and every album since has too.

After my 2 fav bands got boring, I stopped giving a shit.

I though Pantera was UBER cool on "Coyboys",

and then all their albums started to all sound alike.

Crunch, bellow, crunch, bellow.

I'm mean, tough, angry, evil...

Yawn.

Besides, after 20 years,

I can't listen to the same O' same O' power chords,

fast screaming and bellowing.

Start just all blurring together, riffs, songs, albums, bands.

Nothing new, whatev.

Been listening to that garbage since mid 80's,

so you better be INSANE, and SOUND DIFFERENT, or don't even bother me.

And if all ya do as a vocalist is scream and bellow, give up, all been done before.

BORING.

K.M.F.D.M. WAS pretty killer, but that's Industrial.

Got lame, too.

Disturbed isn't too bad.

Disturbed is fucking awful, might as well listen to Nickelback.

iron maiden is the fucking king. saw them at white river a few months ago. fucking bruce runs around the stage like he's still a kid and shit.

randy rhoads is the guitar god.

up the irons!!!

listening to them on my sansui g-8000 helps. fuck i have like 25 pairs of speakers. i collect vintage audio. audiophile as they call us. datsuns and speakers are the life.

WOW well I know Im not alone.....ok first I am a drummer and I have played in a few bands....birth control glasses and a metal band Gainsay....so if you find anything online from them check them out...But Im gonna have to name Anthrax...Metallica(anything before the black album)...but then I go into the newer stuff like heaver stuff...Finntroll ..I dunno I have such a broad metal area jumping into some grunge punk and even easy rock.....Owww and heres my drumset...Its called the death star....lol

l_1b477e4f27ae8added7ec089f0c6bc20.jpg

Edited by oldsklminitrk

The Sword is pretty fuckin good for sure. I would have to say that Slayers Divine Intervention was a bit cheesy but HOLY FUCK... god hates us all is awesome!:fu: I like the new one too as well as Diabolous in Musica.

As far as screaming and growling I would say nothing has all been done before. Its an art that takes a ton of work to accomplish. Same as pretty arrogant grunge opera crap rock vocals that flood the radio with the same ol on that side. I know because I scream and growl and I love it. I dont like most of the guys that do it though. Seems like most new bands are trying to be exactly what they like rather than extending those influences into experimental realms. My favorite the past couple years has to be Down. Over the Under is one of the best albums I have ever heard.:D

These are only MY opinions, so don't take them personally, or get pissy.

Disturbed is fucking awful, might as well listen to Nickelback.

That guy in Disturbed has a better voice than 95% of the "vocalists" out there. His range and variable style is amazing. NICE growl, AND GREAT singing, WHEN appropriate in the song. But I admit, I don't own any of their albums.

Lotsa "vocalists" out there have absolutely no clue what is appropriate, or even anywhere near the talent to do it even if they knew. Vocalist pretty much make or break a band, PERIOD.

Whether or not we care to admit the truth, there is a reason some artist sell millions, and some don't. It's called songwriting talent. Songs that have all the basics, and they mesh very well. Songs that have harmony and melody coming together in a NATURAL way many can EASILY identify with, following a natural, smooth rhythm that people can feel without forcing themselves to (like Tool is for ME. God, talk about AWKWARD rhythm, you can DEFINITELY tell they are white boys). Great example of what I mean can be heard in "Unchained Melody"(The Four Tops?), "Thunder Rolls"(Garth Brooks),

"Today" (KMFDM), "Frozen"(Madonna), or even "Crazy Train"(Ozzy).

I could go on and on and on.

And Nickel Back write great songs, period. That's why they are Rock Stars, and they do VERY well for themselves as artists. That's FACT, whether or not you like 'em or care to admit it.

Datsunfish, there's an old saying, "There is NOTHING new under the sun".

I can play you some shit written in the 18th century that is the same as a LOT of metal out there, but just done on bowed strings, horns, ect.

Power chords and machine gun drums get old way fast(you'll see in a few more years), and have been done a billion times over since the 70's.

Yawn.

Although lotsa people try to say "I'm too cool to listen to this band or that, because too many other straight laced people like them too" or "they sell too many albums to be a good band". That thought pattern is ABSURD, even though I did that same thing a long time ago.

I listen to everything from Mozart to Madonna to Eminem to Metallica these days. ANYTHING that catches my ear, for specific reasons. I grew out of limiting my tastes. Way too much great stuff out there to do that.

Besides, I'd MUCH rather have the kind of fun that's on a dance floor with a bunch of horny girls than in a pit with a bunch of confused, pissed off boys.

But when I play Bass, I assure all of you, Cliff Burton smiles...

And,

Did you mean Deathclock?

They ARE BRUTAL!:lol:

Edited by agentalpha

I dont think anyone was gonna get pissy about opinions on this thread. I personally listen to everything from death cab to beastie boys. Just grew up on metal and still try to create my own sound with it. In a few more years I will still play jackhammer drums screaming growly vocals and supersonic powerchord progressions. I live for it. After 15 years at it so far I dont think I will have some great revelation anytime soon that what I do is lame.

Agent,you do make a few good points I agree with. The vocals do make it or break it for me. And many bands I really really hate I recognize as the talented folks they are. uhhum..nickleb...dist.. I just hate how with all types of music people love what the media hands them and says is good. They sure dont play slayer on the radio but they sure are popular. Tool does get some good attention though and damn does that shit make you think.

I wasn't be pissy, to each their own, but sweet fucking Jesus, Nickelback is fucking lame, douchey, frat boy rock. Like it if you want, But in my opinion they are fucking awful.

Btw Some recent metal bands I have heard that kick ass are.....

Whitechapel(growly death metal)

Behmoth(Black Metal from Poland, though they call their style "blackened" metal. Not sure how thats any different, but they kick ass.)

Warship(former members of From Autum To Ashes. From Long Island. Heavy ass slightly emo metal, but still badass.)

Some other recent purchases I have made are....

Hank Williams Sr.(gotta love "Jambalaya" and "So Lonesome I could Cry.")

Willie Nelson's greatest hits.(Pancho and Lefty is a badass song.)

Rammstein-Rosenrot(Crazy fucking germans even do a song in spanish in this one. "Te quiera puta.")

I’m the odd one out. sorta. I listen to metal. Basically all the bands listed. I love music. I have great taste. My music collection is huge with lots of different bands and music. My order of music goes like this:

Salsa

Latin music in general :)

Latin Jazz

Rap

Hip Hop

Reggae

Reaggeton

Blues

Jazz

Punk

Metal

Alternative Rock

Soul

Classical /Classical guitar

World Music

Techno

& Country

And my one of my bestfriends has a band. Check them out give me honest feedback.

http://www.myspace.com/tomismyfriendsite

Oh and by the way, I'm learning to play the conga. I would like to be like the story of Joe Cuba only modern, if you guys know who he is.

Edited by jrbd10

There are some awesome points made here.

And really, to each his own, it's your given right, and ears.

But just because some Frat guy likes a band that I can dig...

Well, whatev.

I couldn't agree more, about some of the crap that is handed to the masses.

I'll have to check out some of the bands you guys listed. Never heard of a lot of 'em, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Thank God for YouTube.

P.S. You guys here at Ratsun, Rock!!

AWESOME guys(and gals, if there are any).

Respect,

Aa

Seems like most new bands are trying to be exactly what they like rather than extending those influences into experimental realms.

This is the only thing on this whole thread I can relate to. It is what I was saying thirty years ago. Almost everything is derivitave any more. There are only twelve different notes and if you can count to four you can play music. Nobody is going to reinvent the wheel unless they abandon Bach's Twelve tone system. Nothing is ever new, only remixed.

I sucks getting old. I had to laugh reading this...

I am an product of the 70s,and 80s. so I am more into the classic rock stuff.

I am a product of the '50s and '60s and thought that all that classic rock stuff was just warmed over bullshit invented by the corporate record industry to make money off the great unwashed masses of kids with tin ears. I grew up and played with people just like the all the guys in those bands. They were misfits and losers. They couldn't do anything else but make noise, so they were "musicians". No insult intended here at all Dave. My brother's tastes are just like yours. I understand how this all came down.

I listen to everything from Mozart to Madonna to Eminem to Metallica these days. ANYTHING that catches my ear, for specific reasons. I grew out of limiting my tastes. Way too much great stuff out there to do that.

I'm more like; I limit my taste on purpose. There is waaay too much great stuff and envelope pushing artists that out there, to waste my time listening to Mozart or Madonna. (Went through my Mozart phase in college when we had to analyze concerto form, Madonna for about two minutes when MTV first came on the air... Next)

I think that this thread... right or wrong, good or bad, whatever or everwhat... is about being cool. In my mind there is a difference between music and entertainment. When I listen, I make that distinction. When I was coming up, music could be entertainment, but now, entertainment is not necessarily music and people don't know any different having grown up being fed corporate radio and MTV.

People play video games now instead of taking that time to figure out how to play an instrument. Instead of being able to make their own ideas heard, they identify with what the media tells them is cool. Somehow that transfers to them being cool too.

I'm pretty sure I ain't cool.

I eat, sleep and breath music. It is the only thing that keeps me from going insane.

Rock on dudes...

underoath

the devil wears prada

august burns red

norma jean

gwen stacy

inhale-exhale

the chariot

end the century

:D

yep thats the good shit right there i just went to the stick to your guns gwen stacy show last month at the boardwalk in orangevale it was bad ass...my band plays the same style