Drive shaft bolt "upgrade"

I was putting a driveshaft in a Datsun and realized I did not have any bolts for it. After looking around online and finding them at around $30 a set, I started looking for other, cheaper options. 

Now since modern Subarus use the same diffs as the 510/240Z, and they use the same driveshaft yolks, I thought maybe that could be a source for bolts? 

I found a 2010 Legacy in the junkyard and removed the driveshaft bolts from it. It appears they updated/upgraded the bolts from what Nissan used. Instead of a 12mm head on the bolt (making them impossible to find from bolt suppliers), they used a big round head with one flat side on it.

image.jpeg.4383605e451cae7f58be890564206434.jpeg

And these work perfectly in most Datsuns...

image.jpeg.aec9af39de60e9c2e3eab7e4e677c2c2.jpeg

So next time you see a Subaru in the junkyard, you might want to grab the bolts out of the driveshaft just in case.  👌

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

280zx had my favorite driveshaft bolts. They have a flanged small hex, a long shank and proper fine threads. Some even have a torx head built into the hex head. I can't find a pic online, but I'll take a pic.

280ZX should be M10 though? These M8s are normally only for R160, R180, and the H diffs. 280ZX/300ZX should all be M10.

Interesting.  My Aussie spec wagon had the same half round bolt heads.  Obviously, they could have been replaced, but the first time I removed the driveshaft, I noticed them and thought that was a clever idea.

Interesting.  I have a set like that with the flat in my collection of drive shaft shoulder bolts, and they are brand new.  I don't recall where I got them.

Nissan prices on these types of items like the 510 rear halfshaft to outer flange bolts have gotten ridiculous, at about $18 each (as discussed in the other thread about the oil cap).  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Nissan prices on these types of items like the 510 rear halfshaft to outer flange bolts have gotten ridiculous, at about $18 each (as discussed in the other thread about the oil cap).  

Exactly why I was excited to find these Subaru bolts! Now I just need to find 3 more Subarus in the junkyard to get enough bolts for my 240Z...  😋

Though I wonder if I could stud the outer flanges like the diff? 

Also been meaning to check on cost of these new at the Subaru dealership to see if they are cheaper than Nissan, but have not yet.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2024 at 9:52 AM, datsunfreak said:

Instead of a 12mm head on the bolt (making them impossible to find from bolt suppliers)...

BTW, not necessarily for this application which requires the accurate shoulder size, but these guys sell JIS head fasteners (sometimes they call them "small wrench"), but they provide the head size in the detail summary.

Yellow and bright zinc available.  I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them.

Lots of ISO stuff too, so watch your thread and head sizes. https://belmetric.com/bolts/hex-flange-jis-10-9/

8 hours ago, iceman510 said:

BTW, not necessarily for this application which requires the accurate shoulder size, but these guys sell JIS head fasteners (sometimes they call them "small wrench"), but they provide the head size in the detail summary.

Yellow and bright zinc available.  I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them.

Lots of ISO stuff too, so watch your thread and head sizes. https://belmetric.com/bolts/hex-flange-jis-10-9/

Awesome! Thank you sir. 👍

that's a good idea!  Reminds me of buddy who was to cheap to get a drive shaft shortened for his wagon KA swap.  He ended up finding a Subaru driveshaft that bolted in!  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Awesome! Thank you sir. 👍

Yes, indeed. I wish I knew about that company when I did the wags.  I couldn't find automotive type bolts anywhere.

Thanks to Iceman for the link!

• Like 1

This place has JIS fasteners as well, but the selection seems not as expansive, and I like Belmetric's detail in their listings.  Also that yellow and bright zinc are both available (not always every variation).  Clips and Fasteners has lots of different types of, well, clips.  Many are more applicable for newer vehicles than 50 yo Datsuns, but have a gander.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/default.asp

• Like 1

So Matt what are your sources for OEM look bolts then, OE dealers?  Probably more costly but effective.  Or replating and reuse?

When I worked in the assembly plant, it was like working in a large metric fastener store.  Scored lots of hardware there.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2024 at 12:09 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

280zx had my favorite driveshaft bolts. They have a flanged small hex, a long shank and proper fine threads. Some even have a torx head built into the hex head. I can't find a pic online, but I'll take a pic.

They also work great for intake manifold bolts.

On 2/5/2024 at 1:04 PM, datsunfreak said:

280ZX should be M10 though? These M8s are normally only for R160, R180, and the H diffs. 280ZX/300ZX should all be M10.

240-280z were 01111-00281 for automatics and 01111-00051 (presumably for standards.

The 01111-00051 was also used on the B-210, 610 sedan, 710, 620, S10, S110, A10, 810/Maxima with differentials up to H-190

Forget the 521 they were 5/16" just under 8mm

The 280zx was 01111-00011 for the turbo, also used in the S12 turbo and the 240zx. These may be the M10.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2024 at 12:34 PM, iceman510 said:

So Matt what are your sources for OEM look bolts then, OE dealers?  Probably more costly but effective. 

The OEM bolts are still available from several sources, but stupid expensive, especially compared to the Subaru bolts. Cheapest I could find for a set of 4 with nuts was $30. 

16 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Was there  a flat shouldered bolt? I thought I had them on my 620.

I have never seen one on any Datsun. 

17 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Do you have the Nissan part number?

I do not. I was mostly shopping at places like Zcardepot.com and others of their ilk. 

Someone on the BB email list said the last time they asked a Nissan dealer for one, they were quoted $8 per bolt (without nut/washer). 

On 2/10/2024 at 10:34 AM, iceman510 said:

So Matt what are your sources for OEM look bolts then, OE dealers?  Probably more costly but effective.  Or replating and reuse?

When I worked in the assembly plant, it was like working in a large metric fastener store.  Scored lots of hardware there.

I used to buy OEM hardware, but over the years I have accumulated enough of a stash of used HDW that I just send it out for replating. The shop I use charges $100 for three 5 gallon buckets of HDW. Rust is no problem, but he can't remove paint. For easy paint removal, I've drilled and tapped some aluminum strips that I use for blasting 20-40 bolts at a time.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2024 at 1:15 PM, datzenmike said:

240-280z were 01111-00281 for automatics and 01111-00051 (presumably for standards.

The 01111-00051 was also used on the B-210, 610 sedan, 710, 620, S10, S110, A10, 810/Maxima with differentials up to H-190

Forget the 521 they were 5/16" just under 8mm

The 280zx was 01111-00011 for the turbo, also used in the S12 turbo and the 240zx. These may be the M10.

I promise I will get a pic today.