Drive shaft bolt "upgrade"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Yes, 8x1.25. Didn't get a length, but I can.

I am now thinking they were used on the giant CVs, not the driveshaft, but they work for driveshafts because I've used them there.

With that flange, I would think they wouldn't work on most Datsun stuff? Or did you file one side flat? 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Yes, 8x1.25. Didn't get a length, but I can.

I am now thinking they were used on the giant CVs, not the driveshaft, but they work for driveshafts because I've used them there.

OK, probably right.  I tried checking that bolt yesterday in the NIssan system and spec book, and could not match up those characteristics and part number with what Mike listed.  I will check that CV bolt. 

I can see they would work as they appear to be shoulder bolts, other than the comment above on the flange size as there is limited space around the u-jt flange..

• Like 1

I don't see a flat side. If I had a Nissan part number for the bolt that only has a flat on it I can find all the vehicles it was used on. Then you could order it new or go hunting the yards'. 

I'm sure I used them on my 620? Something.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I don't see a flat side. If I had a Nissan part number for the bolt that only has a flat on it I can find all the vehicles it was used on. Then you could order it new or go hunting the yards'. 

I promise you, regardless of what the part number is, Nissan is asking at least 5 times as much money as Subaru. 😄

16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

But if it's used on 720 and D21/Xterra/Frontier 4x4 differentials then they are basically free in the wrecking yards.

I was just thinking of more readily available sources. Personally, I have not seen one of those in the junkyard in 10+ years.  

YMMV

And these days, $1.18 each is damn near free.  😄

• Like 2
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

IF. Just an example. Often enough a part can be found on other vehicles. $1.18??? I thought someone quoted over $30 for.... something.

The Nissan OEM bolts are over $30-40 a set, new from the dealer (or other online source). 

The Subaru bolts are $1.18 each, new from the dealer.

👍

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I agree. Who has time to hit up wrecking yards anyway.

Then there's this. If I had known how cheap they were new from Subaru, I would not have bothered with getting these used from the junkyard. 😋

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

ON my 720, I ruined the nuts.  I got nuts from TrueValue.  They have a 13mm head on them and are much easier to use.  I also bought bolts at the HW store.  The have a 13mm head on them and also fit just fine.  The bolt's shaft, is the same size.

Edited by Stinky