Some D21 History

iceman510

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and it was not oversized and got decent fuel economy.  It was economical to purchase.  It filled a role for a large segment of truck buyers.  Then trucks got larger and larger and less economical to purchase and operate. 

Companies are too stupid or vane to recognize this.  If nissan ever did and made a small pickup they would shit the bed and put a jatco cvt transmission in it and it would cost 34995 for a base truck.

Well since I've been reading up on nissan vehicles that were available to the Mexican market. 

According to wiki:

The d21 was built and sold in Mexico from 1993-2008. The 720 went all the way to 1993 in mex. VS the d21 being built/sold from 1985-1997 in the US.

Mexico also got a Crew Cab/ 4 door version of the d21. So far from what I gather they didn't get any 4WD nissan pickups there. Only the 2WD.

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Pounding Rox Truck Shop said:

I did a bunch of research on the origins of the D21 a few years back and have a writeup article on another site. I don't want to link it without the blessings from an admin. 

Linking is allowed here. 🙂

The 'Electro Injection' on the Z24i was available from April '85 and on. That would be late in the '85 model year.

'85s were produced through June '85 and May '85 was the start of the '86 model year there was an overlap of two months. The '86 model year 720 continued through 10'85 and the D21 began production in the Kyushu plant in 11'85.

I appreciate the info. I was only looking at it from the D21 perspective when I wrote that and had very limited 720 knowledge, still kind of do. At the time none of this info had been brought to light. I even have a VIN database somewhere that tracked changes in the D21 lineage down to the month and year but I moved and haven't found where I put that, I had 100's of hours looking at used trucks and ebay. Lowest VIN serial D21 I ever had info on was a Japan built in 85. It had come up for sale and I jotted the info down. I think it was 000009. This was all gathered between 2009 and 2014. I haven't touched the article since. I don't think it was a bad start to info that wasn't really out there at the time.

There were 14 combinations of first year D21s.

2 engines

2 frame lengths

Man and Auto

2wd and 4wd

king and reg cab and heavy duty

dual rear tires

The 11 '85 chassis numbers (six digit) all began 0001?? For example the KNG D21 (2wd king cab / long wheelbase) was 000108. The start of the next month was #002780 so 2,672 of them were built the first month.

So here's a registry I started years ago and there are two oldies in there on page 1 alone. 

Nico kind of stinks now with all the ads. It wasn't like that back when I was a mod there. Got to make money somehow right?

https://forums.nicoclub.com/nissan-hardbody-registry-t502696.html

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Pounding Rox Truck Shop said:

Nico kind of stinks now with all the ads. It wasn't like that back when I was a mod there. Got to make money somehow right?

Well 'we' don't at Ratsun and have managed not to for the past 17 years. This is because when Jeff began this journey he envisioned a Datsun forum free of that crap and likened it to a garage with the door open. Inside an engine swap or something similar is under way and there is a general hubbub of discussions, tool handling and clinking beer bottles. Anyone is free to look in from the street and help or ask questions.

To stay true to this vision Jeff shoulders the entire cost of forum up keep free of ad income. The amount per month is considerable.

image.gif.038195946182b49f8c2b9296151f114f.gif

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Well 'we' don't at Ratsun and have managed not to for the past 17 years. This is because when Jeff began this journey he envisioned a Datsun forum free of that crap and likened it to a garage with the door open. Inside an engine swap or something similar is under way and there is a general hubbub of discussions, tool handling and clinking beer bottles. Anyone is free to look in from the street and help or ask questions.

To stay true to this vision Jeff shoulders the entire cost of forum up keep free of ad income. The amount per month is considerable.

image.gif.038195946182b49f8c2b9296151f114f.gif

Kinda crazy how many years this place has been around.  Totally worth it!  I mean we all do our part.  You are always kicking spammers to the curb!  Thisismatt sends me money every year for I can't remember how long.  Steve hooks me up with stickers, hats, hoodies and test engines!  We are just a group of jackasses kicking it here like we always have.  This place is full of great guys.  We chat about Datto's, politics and tits apparently ahaha.  

• Like 1

Yeh, I left NICO right around 2015 because I felt the vision was lost and money and clout dominated the admin sphere. I defected to infamousnissan and mod there, mostly I am just a figurehead, I don't do any mod work. I just do a lot for the D21 guys and they appreciate it. Ratsun is pretty chill and I pretty much have every question answered and now that I have a Datsun this place is the right place to be.

I have a lot of D21 info so reach out if you need to.

I'm Ratsun member #9 so one of the originals from the Great Schism when Jeff (as Martin Luther) brought his complaints and their redress to the NWDE hierarchy for their failure to spend anything to upgrade the old forum on their site. This was around 2005-6. The NWDE were content to just meet once a month for coffee and the actual forum, while exploding with new members, was very lacking in even the basics of what's available today. Just as well that it all fell on deaf ears or we wouldn't be here now. So he threw up his hands are started his own forum with technical help from Thomas.

So here we are today 17 years later, free of advertising, providing info and support world wide actually, to members and even people that drop by and leave unknown, to help keep their Datsuns alive.

• Like 1