2wd suspension lift

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe you can remove your torsion bars and reindex them a facet to gain a lift in the front. Otherwise, just lift shackles/leafs in the rear or axle flip and go from there. 

3 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

At one time there were 2" lift spindles. Maybe the 4wd upper A arm lift kits will fit. This was the "Prerunner" lift back in the day.

Lift spindles would be perfect If they still exist.  Does anyone know what brand those were or who sold them?

3 hours ago, petercscherer said:

I believe you can remove your torsion bars and reindex them a facet to gain a lift in the front. Otherwise, just lift shackles/leafs in the rear or axle flip and go from there. 

Yeah the rear isn't a worry at all.   The only issue I see what indexing the torsion bars is the camber.  I would have to get a longer upper arm I believe 

Check with Jake at stabfab.com he's been really developing some awesome products lately, including adjustable upper control arms for Nissan Hardbody, which isn't that much different than the 720. He may have some input. 🙂

A co-worker gave me a D21 2WD lift kit.  Really it's just beafier torsion bars and a upper a-arm that's been modified some the ball joint won't over articulate.  If you were doing a one off you could just mod the stock arms.  Just do an axle flip for the rear.  Done.  

On 1/27/2024 at 8:23 PM, Icehouse said:

A co-worker gave me a D21 2WD lift kit.  Really it's just beafier torsion bars and a upper a-arm that's been modified some the ball joint won't over articulate.  If you were doing a one off you could just mod the stock arms.  Just do an axle flip for the rear.  Done.  

Spring over adds a lot of lift. 5" at least.

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Spring over adds a lot of lift. 5" at least.

True.  I think the kit just came with huge shackles.  

Yeah, don't use shackles. A 4" longer shackle will never give 4" of lift because the front of the spring mounting position does not change and the axle is close to half way and usually closer to the front. You might get 2" and probably less. In addition the longer the shackle the less lateral support at the rear of the spring.

I personally prefer body lift over suspension lift 

had 3” body lift on my 80 720 and I thought it was better because it rode better because stock suspension..  

I had bias ply 7.50 15 mud/snow on rear 7.50 15 street tires on front drove it from Tumwater to south Seattle for work (65-70 miles one way ) and up into forest logging roads at for many years . No rubbing 

Edited by bananahamuck

That depends on wheel offset. Fenders first. Then without much offset starts hitting frame. Additionally offset ends up hitting floorboard behind fender. This can actually be cut and a patch welded in but in reality 31X10.5s with a 2 inch body lift on a 4x4 before mods start getting crazy. 2wd?

On 1/27/2024 at 2:45 PM, Connor Snyder said:

Does anyone know of a lift kit for a 2wd? Or If oem 4wd front suspension will bolt on?    On my 82 I have a 2 Inch body lift on mine with sto k suspension but I would love to get rid of the body lift and achieve my ride height with suspension.

Assume stock rims. My 31 x 10.5s rubbed 620 floor with 4" lift. On bumps. Eventually put Toyota 4x4 front axle in, rear axle under the springs and F-150 re-arched leaf springs all round.

image.gif.48626827d419f759a6cffe3386d76041.gif

All together 14"-16" above stock on 33s. 

o7k628j.jpg

Eventually I got over this crazy.

image.jpeg.faf6224d95d64f5a18d78569604e8359.jpeg I'm better now Dr.

• Like 2

Cutting cab corners is pretty common. Just take your time and do it right. Cutting frame/body mounts is pretty common too. Don't take them completely off. Just trim enough to clear the tires. With a nice cut and proper clearance, the truck won't be sky high and you'll get the tires to fit. I think this look is much cooler than any amount of lift.

Years ago, my brother had a 510 wagon with rally knobby tires on it. It had a slight lift (maybe 1.5") and a light bar with giant KCs on the roof. That car was so much fun. A 2wd truck with the right tires could be a blast to drive around on dirt roads. I say go for it.

You havent said something that is on the important side.....how big are you going?

It was take 205/70-15s, on stock rims.  Stock off-set is REALLY important.  Otherwise, they will rub on the other side of where you put your left foot, when driving, when turning.

For that matter, stock tires will rub there w/aftermarket wheels.

Resist the urge to crank your torsion bars.

• Like 1