The ratsun way of doing it

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys should look into the "gator supercharger"... It's a belt driven supercharger, and the impeller is from a leaf blower. Said to make decent boost on engines under 3 liters. On their yahoo group forum a guy tested the one he built on his flow bench and it made 8psi boost @635 cfm when spun to 14,000rpms, which is the factory leaf blower speed. They say the impeller should be good to about 28,000. It's a magnesium casting, not cheap plastic. I bought the book, I'm going to attempt to make one for my 620.

You guys should look into the "gator supercharger"... It's a belt driven supercharger, and the impeller is from a leaf blower. Said to make decent boost on engines under 3 liters. On their yahoo group forum a guy tested the one he built on his flow bench and it made 8psi boost @635 cfm when spun to 14,000rpms, which is the factory leaf blower speed. They say the impeller should be good to about 28,000. It's a magnesium casting, not cheap plastic. I bought the book, I'm going to attempt to make one for my 620.

i would call bull shit on that, but i have seen your work, and you don't how do you say...."fuck around" I hope you make this work so the rest of us can benefit! good luck man!

Have to call BS on that VID. If that graph is the HP and torque values the readout that's displayed is impossible. It may be displayed wrong or something but wrong never the less. Compare theirs to the one below.

Here's a real readout:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DynoRun2007ByronsLZ22.jpg[/img]"]DynoRun2007ByronsLZ22.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

I DID THIS! a few years ago i took a electric leaf blower and bolted it under the hood and wired it up so that it would blow for the intake of the turbo of this Rx7 that i aquired. Basicly i routed a throttle for the leaf blower to the shifter so i could rev the leaf blower and then drop the clutch it eliminated all the turbo lag that there was and detonated the stock engine. It was pretty cool for the 45 mins or so that it ran

i would call bull shit on that, but i have seen your work, and you don't how do you say...."fuck around" I hope you make this work so the rest of us can benefit! good luck man!

I said the same thing when I first heard about it, but I decided to but the book anyway... I started reading it, and I was like "Hey... This could actually work!"...

Here is a picture of a basic completed unit if you want to see it. http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/RacnJsn95/9b6e.jpg

Edited by RacnJsn95
fixed picture link

ANY thing that increases air flow or makes it easier the motor to pump air, will increase power.

As long as the leaf blower output is higher in cfm than the needs of the motor, some build up of pressure will exist. Naturally it will be highest at low speeds when the motor isn't drawing much air and least 'boost' at high RPMs

An L20B at 6,000 RPMs full throttle needs 211 Cubic feet of air a minute. Leaf blowers produce 350 to 600 cfm. There ia a 5 hp 35oo cfm monster.

The impeller the "gator supercharger"(GS) is built around is from an 06+(older models had a plastic impeller) Toro Ultra Blower Vac (sucks and blows)... The oem unit is rated at:

CFM (blow mode) 255cfm

CFM (vacuum mode) 390cfm

I'd give it a shot. The leaf blower has a variable speed, so you can probably rig something up so the speed goes up and down with the throttle. Assuming my above post about the guy that made and tested a GS at 14000 rpm, producing 635cfm, and 8psi boost is true, and the impeller ect should be good to 28000rpms, if you ran it at a conservitave 21000... Well, you know...But the test was under a no-load condition, so the readings could be false.

The yahoo groups board system seems extremely unorganized to me, and it's hard to find things. As of yet I've been unable to find a working GS on a vehicle, but there is a guy that's close, with his most recent update being within the last couple weeks since I checked last 3 weeks ago... It's in a 65 beetle. His previous engine build was a draw through turbo'd 1915cc engine he says ran a consistant 13.2, w/ a best of a 12.95... Now he's building a 2276cc with a draw through GS shooting for mid 11s... This will be the project to watch to see if this GS thing really works or not! I haven't started collecting parts, yet for mine, but I'll start looking around for scrap pipe, plate, etc... Here's a pic of the GS this guy has build, and mocked up on the 2276 from his last update: Click Here

cant you just use electric blower? There some craftsman ones that run you 40buxs new....

A while back i was thinking an electric blower with a adjustible knob. So I wanted to use a dimmer switch an electric blower and an electric by pass valve. I need to draw it I guess...

Edited by Motavated

Let me explain it better my idea.

This is what you need.

1.) electric blower

2.) dimmer switch

3.) An electric exhaust valve

4.) Lots of pipes

You hook up on L shapped pipe on the carb.

Then you connect this guy.

5317263964537-QTP-QTEC30CPS-3quot-Electric-Exhaust-V.jpg

as you can see it splits!

One side will have a regular cone filter

the other will have the electric blower with a filter

On the electric blower, connect the dimmer switch and that would be your boost control.

The car can be NA and then switch to boost with one button!!! "That one button controls the valve and on/off switch for the blower" And if boost runs out since the blower is too small... You change back to NA with one click!!!!...

BTW... Can you control the amount of boost in a regular supercharger or blower?

Edited by Motavated
was one of the things i was thinking of doing with the 20 computer fans i have, lol. then i realized that the move air, not force it. sadness :( was thinking i could "stack" them in an intake.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=674636&CatId=806

Vantec Tornado:

# Fan Speed: 4800 RPM

# Air Flow: 119 CFM

And to Motavated, that made me think of those old computers that had those Turbo buttons.

Edited by djlotus