fuel cell woes....

Llittle_Llama

Ok, i bought a fuel cell last week and was talking to the guy at the performance shop said i cannot use an electric fuel pump with it because it is not a gravity feed cell. it is this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RCI-2121A-Fuel-Cell-Aluminum-Natural-12-Gallons-0-9_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem220317976717QQitemZ220317976717QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

now i have 2 electric pumps already, so if i cannot use them i need to sell them, but i was worried that the mech. fuel pump might not be enough either. Do I have anything to worry about?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he said that the stock mech had a diaphragm and pulled the fuel and the electric pushed it through the lines. he SAID that the electric cannot pull the fuel from the tank, only push it through the lines after it gets to it where as the mech apparently pulls it from the tank. IDK, i REALLY want to use the ele. so i can clean up the engine bay a little more. the less the better.

Electrics prefer to push fuel, but the stock Datsun electric pump was mounted HIGHER than the tank bottom (it was mounted to the frame, and the tank sits lower than the frame).

Stock Datsun tanks aren't gravity feed... unless you have a 510 sedan parked downhill.

I've had no problem even with the cheap rattlebox pumps mounted up front on the fenderwell. Not the best place for it, but where the heck else was I gonna put one on an '81 Wagon with a Z24 engine in it (no where to put a mechanical pump).

I'm not sure what he is talking about. Yes, electric pumps do better pushing and should be mounted close to the pick-up (cell), but I've been racing my Datsun 510 with an electric pump the pulls fuel out of the top of the cell for 10 years.

149d5.JPG

My Datsun 1200 is set-up the same way. It even draws thru the filter. Neither have given me any trouble.

Patten1200Chassis2.JPG

well both of the ele. ones i have are used and i would rather use them till they go to shit then sell them in case something happens to them after i sell them on here. i will go ahead and mount them same time as the cell and see what happens. if i just bypass the mech. pump can i leave it attached for a few days in case the elec. takes a shit so i dont get stranded?

if i just bypass the mech. pump can i leave it attached for a few days in case the elec. takes a shit so i dont get stranded?

I dont see why not? unless running it dry will hurt it? it just has that arced piece that is in contact with the circle "lobe" on the front of the cam right? so itl be running but not have any fuel

you could disconnect it and just carry it and the tools/bolts with you to

Edited by Skib

Mount the electric lower than the tank or as low as you can, to minimize it having to suck up hill. Run an inline filter from a 720 between the tank and the pump to keep crap out of it. I don't care if it's a new tank, crap comes in when you re-fuel. Use as thick a wire as you can to provide a strong 12 volts.

If you haven't already, take the stock mech. pump off, and use a block off plate from a Z20 or Z22 NAPS motor. The top, Z24 head, does not have the casting machined out for it.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/00770026.jpg[/img]"]00770026.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

it will work fine. the stock z car tank is lower than the pump, and its mounted like the ones pictured. near the rear, but the filter is at the front. id take the pump off and block it instead of running it dry. the fuel lubes the diaphram in the pump. id use 14 guage wire for it, and run both wires to the front and ground at a central hub. you could ground it near the pump, but it may cause problems. altho you dont get snow there do you. make sure to use a trusty relay!!

Whoever told you that is full of crap. I have been using mine for a few years now and no problems.

Its mounted under the bed but above the tank with a large filter between it and the tank and it works great.

Pumps will push better than they pull. Some pumps can push in the thousands of pounds per square inch. No pump made can pull water vertically more than about 33 feet. It's impossible. Period.

This is why any pump should be mounted as low and as close to the tank as possible to reduce the effort needed to draw the fuel in. This is why all EFI pumps are in the tank.

Edited by datzenmike

I still say they don't push or pull anything :P

Now drawing, that's something else entirely :lol:

I get that's it's terminology and all, but I've used electric and manual pumps to pump all kinds of fluids and to me they all suck and blow. ;)