Wiper linkage rebuild or substitute

SWFL

Worn out wiper linkage pivots are a pet peeve of mine. I hate wipers that chatter and don't sweep smoothly. Is there new parts available to rebuild worn out linkages and pivots, or is it better to try to find a new aftermarket substitute?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wheelboxes should come apart (like the 510) with a tiny C clip.  Pull apart, clean, regrease, should loosen up nicely!  Not aware of any NEW parts available any more (like the 510).  Buying USED will likely put you in the same spot, but you could buy USED as cores to rebuild, then just swap out?

I doubt any of the parts are available either NOS or repops - same as for the 510 like mine.

Here is a great site for getting part numbers that you can then search for online.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1972-1979/electrical/windshield-wiper

I ended up rejuvenating mine, here's what I started with:

IMG_1202-1.thumb.jpg.443e62692978220551aeecb4fb359438.jpg

The three little nuts rusted solid - they will break easily so you need to take your time and use plenty of PB Blaster and time to soak. I worked on the whole system for about two months - soaking and waiting, gently putting pressure on the nuts and working back and forth.

The pivots were also rusted solid and I soaked them in vinegar for days at a time. I eventually got them freed up but one of them I could not get apart to sand the pivot. It does rotate freely. Here's the finished pivots and sanded and painted linkage:

IMG_0754-1.thumb.jpg.06406d6d17e820498b1afbfbb9d89538.jpg

Here is a youtube video of the wiper working smoothly.  🙂

• Like 2
7 hours ago, iceman510 said:

If I recall, the bushing balls in the linkage arms are bronze.

I think you are correct, but those pivots rarely seize up.........they are pretty loose to begin with!

• Like 1

Something like this is in my future, I think. I do have a linkage assembly out of a 210 so if it compares, that may be what gets installed on the wagon.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KELMO said:

Something like this is in my future, I think. I do have a linkage assembly out of a 210 so if it compares, that may be what gets installed on the wagon.

I bet most wiper "wheelboxes" are different per application, cuz of firewall/wiper cowl angles being different.  Even the 240Z is different than the 280Z & I think that the firewall/wiper cowl area is the same.  First thing I would look at is the size of the splined shaft, cuz that too might be different on the 210...........??

• Like 1

The first thing I looked at was the mounting point 2 on the 210, 3 on the 510. When I get serious about it, I'll pick this up in the "So I bought this goon" thread.

Actually, it almost never rains here for one, and for two, if it does rain, I'll drive something else.

• Like 2