Popcorn

Are there drawbacks to solid mounting the cab to the frame?  The shock towers need to be supported and I am going to weld them into the body but that creates 2 points where there are no bushings between the cab and the frame.  I would worry about flexing and failure.

I have the poly bushings and am thinking about doing a poly sheet between the towers and the subframe or just making aluminum spacers to replace the bushings.

• Like 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the bed back on this weekend.  I am going to have some real issues with the amount of travel this suspension is capable of.

First, more dirt fell out of it.

image.jpeg.845f2d5d3a1abf26ab9c5538d5db19b2.jpeg

Ignore my crude cuts in the fenders.  A whole lot more is going to have to go and I am going to have to make my own flares.

image.jpeg.42ad4af860dbcaf4985d94e7592c89ac.jpeg

image.jpeg.ebeaf1ebbc6f5d1b3aa5571b96164ced.jpeg

Just from the initial measurements, I am going to have to ditch the OEM wheel tubs and create new ones.  I think the tires are going to hit them.

image.jpeg.fcb95ed3fd607362bdd05a7c53e645b5.jpeg

Next up: test fit 17" wheels.  Those 15 x 9 look too small.

• Like 3

I don't know if bags will work on a Miata suspension.  Plans there are for longer than stock shocks with dual or triple rate springs as needed.  This will get a bit if track time, after all.

Just not sure about wheels.  I put the OEM 2020 Miata wheels on it today, and I think the size seems more appropriate to the dimensions of the truck.  I need to see what is out there in a 17" 4 x100 9" to 10" wide.  I have the 17 x 9 6UL's on the Miata, but those are hard to find now.  I am not sure when they will be back in production.  I am going to try to get it to my desired static ride height and test fit those wheels tomorrow.  Just to see.  FWIW, the 15's I have shown are 9" with 225/45 tires.

Brakes are easy.  Design a bracket and hat, add on a rotor and caliper, done.  Probably won't take me a day in Solidworks.  I have done it a few times.  As long as I know the wheel offset and clearance to the backside of the spokes, that is.

Will post some wheel pictures in the next couple of days.

• Like 3

How many times have you seen $5,000 worth of Volk Racing wheels on a stock car that has no business waring track shoes? Boggles the mind. Wheels have become functional fashion, so choosing what's right for your build is very subjective. Sitting on a Miata chassis, your truck will do things most cars can't, so putting more rubber on the ground is a vital component to doing that. I think it would look sick with open 17s tucked under flared fenders. That said, I might be old school but I think with the bling factor, less is more. 

May the wind be at your back on this one.

Edited by paradime
  • Like 1
On 4/11/2023 at 10:58 AM, paradime said:

How many times have you seen $5,000 worth of Volk Racing wheels on a stock car that has no business waring track shoes? Boggles the mind. Wheels have become functional fashion, so choosing what's right for your build is very subjective. Sitting on a Miata chassis, your truck will do things most cars can't, so putting more rubber on the ground is a vital component to doing that. I think it would look sick with open 17s tucked under flared fenders. That said, I might be old school but I think with the bling factor, less is more. 

May the wind be at your back on this one.

When my clients get all hung up on finding the perfect wheel, I remind them that wheels are jewelry and should be changed often to suit the occasion.

I work for 949 Racing / Supermiata, doing the part design / engineering.  Which explains my current wheel choices for the pictures.

I can get custom wheels made, but there are some issues with doing so.  Billet wheels are cut from a large chunk of aluminum and are not as strong as cast / forged wheels. The grain structure is not optimized for wheels. You can get wheels made from a cast "puck" where you have the spokes machined out and then the barrel is rotary forged.  The problem is finding a pre made puck that can get you the offset and width you want.  It is hard to find these in less than an 18" diameter since the big money in wheels is in the larger diameters.  I have had custom 18" wheels made for destructive testing and model verification.

Edited by Satisaii
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

My truck has 17x8 and 18x11. All under the fender wells. Also tire choices for taller wheels is more abundant as well. Keep going I love what you're doing. 

Would you mind sharing your offset on those wheels?  Not that it would totally apply to my case.  I am pretty sure that the Miata hubs are further outboard than OEM.

I did keep those cut-off pieces of fender just in case I want to weld them back in.

Your vehicles are awesome.  I am on a more DIY budget.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably going with the 17's.  For gearing and RPM/MPH reasons.

A couple of weeks ago I went ahead and parted out the Mustang.  Stripped it out, kicked it out of the shop space, and hopefully have it sold.

Last week I went to a car show with my parents.  Not much in the way of Datsun content... or any other Japanese manufacturer for that matter.  Pretty much a US hot rod event.  But there were some cool cars.

image.jpeg.3879dba4d8f20aebec5d2436ffb3f4dc.jpeg

And a couple of Z cars. (And the reason I am not allowed to take pictures)

image.jpeg.3e56bd28189774f54fcc4c10652d855f.jpeg

One horribly ugly Corvette.

image.jpeg.f2bacf7688eecaaa197fdae65b2a675d.jpeg

And then I am back on my project this weekend.  The goal:  get the engine sitting in the truck and the cab back on (I have paying projects that need the lift, so this has to happen this weekend.)  I did an initial engine placement to find out where to cut the crossmember and the subframe.  And then made some cuts.

image.jpeg.af3b493ece3e5ffb38dc230f1b5c4b1f.jpeg

I put the engine back in and then made some more cuts.  It ended up close to where I want it.  It needs to move about an inch to the driver's side, but it is up against the steering rack mounts so it will have to be "close enough" until I can get in there and make some more room.  The plan is to use the Ford power steering rack anyways, so I am not too worried about it for time being.

image.jpeg.9719172b55619fafcf0da9b9f7aac05d.jpeg

image.jpeg.9ae5722641d8a51f33f3e5954e484e34.jpeg

image.jpeg.abac6989cefaa078349b60fb1dc48945.jpeg

It was fun to watch the shock mounts bend in as I set some weight on it.  Going to have to address that...  The goal is to get the cab back on tomorrow.  I think there is going to be some major cutting going on.

• Like 1

Well, it fits.   I was worried that I was going to have to delete the high pressure fuel pump (since It is the highest point on the engine) to get it to fit under the cowl. But it cleared with more than an inch to spare. So happy happy, joy joy.

image.jpeg.1a3e3340d9e1a75de4676530ae5f04f6.jpeg

image.jpeg.e1a6a0b62bb94108d75b1074475493ef.jpeg

image.jpeg.30aaaa0ea2ec9a36c316a6a65cd85bd6.jpeg

Lots of problems in my future.  But I will worry about those later.  Next up: engine / transmission mounts, driveshaft / diff, and the EPS.

• 1 month later...

It has been a while.  Many printed revisions of the motor mounts to get it to this point.  Ditched the idea of using the Ford EPS.  There was not enough room between the frame and the engine to fit it in.  Going with the manual Miata rack and will consider doing an EPS conversion kit in the cab (if there is room.)

image.jpeg.9ff83096ae470eb51f3b3915bf038a4b.jpeg

I like to start my CAD with manila folder material.  It is easy to cut and manipulate to get the contours correct.  A Contour Gauge Tool is helpful to get the profiles close to start.  I then transfer the designs to balsa wood.  I like balsa over cardboard since it is easy to cut and you can sand it down for a more precise fit.  You can get it McMaster Carr.

image.jpeg.51c89eaecec01b9ad68fa05b439ebc7c.jpeg

image.jpeg.5f62eff98f7250e3c8e48c9e535ba2ed.jpeg

Next I will scan the parts to get them into Solidworks before sending them off to be made out of steel.  I will also epoxy the parts together to help get it all just right in my model.  The driver's side is a pain.  It will probably take 3 supports to get it strong enough while avoiding the steering stuff.