Popcorn

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the front suspension set in for initial fitment.  Still needs some tweaking, but the hard part is done.

upvFDqW.jpg

9u2IxOX.jpg

Qi2cLwq.jpg

PScKAna.jpg

Back to the rear next week and hope to have it rolling again soon.  I had to store the bed and body outside and we have had more rain in the last month than this truck has seen since 1986.

• Like 2

After taking a bunch of measurements, we decided that the subframe install was only off a small amount and that the frame has some twist in it.  We think it will be able to align well enough and went ahead and welded everything together.   She is not coming apart again.

And then we welded the rear subframe in.

We decided to do the custom rear shock mounts instead of the OEM ones.  I need to redraw them slightly before sending them out to be made.

It is going to need custom shocks.... lucky for me I work for a place that specializes in custom shocks.  Still going to be $$$ though.

This is starting to add up.  I have just hit the amount I sold my highly modified Miata for.  That Mustang hurt the budget, but I decided that it was worth it for a running and driving vehicle.  Sure hope that motor fits between the frame rails and under the hood.

• Like 1

I don't think it changed.  At least it looks right to me.  I have been using this one since the late 90's on all forums.

It was a randomly generated name from an ISP.  Since it doesn't mean anything, it is a relatively unique name.

lv54VCR.jpg

Rear shock mount.  Now drawn as a sheet metal assembly and ready to be sent out for cutting.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It is very much a hack job.

We got it all welded up today.  No pictures yet, but I hope to have it rolling this week and the body back on next week.  I feel that once the body is back in the shop, the rains in California will cease for the year.

• Like 1

The top side.  It now weighs 262 lbs.  Looked at my earlier posts and saw that it was 173 lbs before I started.  I am having a hard time believing that I added 90 lbs with the subframes.  And that 173 was before I cut out any of the frame...  I have all the cut stuff in a box and will weigh it here in a bit.

aRmI1na.jpg

LBijAv5.jpg

QO5URWX.jpg

UZKDVJV.jpg

I wish we had done a bit more welding on those end caps.  Should have welded them up before putting the shock mount parts on.

Edited by Satisaii
  • Like 1

It rolls.  A little too low, but then the shocks are a couple of inches too short.  Will fix that here in a bit.

It was a pain to get off the lift due to the extreme ride height. The center braces are going to have to be replaced.

After being in the sun for a few minutes, it got rained on.

otLQs25.jpg

T3aXzXM.jpg

T3aXzXM.jpg

• Like 2

I had 3 2x12's under the fronts and used a jack to lift the rear as it came off the lift.  Still managed to drag it on the lift pump handle and break it (again.)  That one crossmember is only two inches off the ground.

Tried to put the Mustang on the 4 post and it wouldn't fit.  Too wide.

• Like 1

I put the longer term projects on the 4 post since it is harder to work on.

The crossmember is stupid low.

image.jpeg.498b7caf7f32e035086ad0f66f3af8c0.jpeg

The bolt I forgot to remove does not help.  We cleaned some Arizona desert out of the cab before putting it on the 2 post.

image.jpeg.c6de26706e4e10568c6d92a0db337aeb.jpeg

Getting close to fitting the cab. (Ignore the piece of wood.)

image.jpeg.c809383c953483adf2f1a866c49bf48b.jpeg

This engine bay is smaller than I remembered.  I hope I don't have to remove the balance shafts and dry sump the EcoBoost in order to get it in there.

image.jpeg.47ad258e71c5c9b8f7b66aec68f9d273.jpeg

I should get the cab on this week, the bed on next week, and then I am going to give it to a friend to do the roll cage and chassis work.  I am not pro enough (and don't have the right tools) for that job.  I will strip the 'Stang while he has it.