Is this a dumb work around for the fusible link?

ProJect

So the clip to my 82 720 diesel fusible link is missing(clipped off and stolen with the battery) and I can't find it online anywhere.

I do have a fusible link(the one pictured is my old broken one that I am using to fashion my work around connector), this work around is just to connect my fusible link to the battery terminal.

I thought of a work around by cutting up some two-prong extension cables and sticking them in the link terminal and connecting them to my battery terminal via loops.

Is this a dumb idea? I figured it would work as the wire gauge is thicker on my work around end than the fusible link.

t9vkPH2.jpegVWsihr2.jpeg4PzEwnM.jpeg

Edited by ProJect
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a fusible link. I am just trying to connect it to my battery terminal with this solution. I am having trouble finding anything the correct length and width of those blades to make something proper, but the home cable is the right size and wire diameter.

Would the issue be the insulation or what?

Edited by ProJect

As long as you are still using the fusible links themselves the system is protected. What is the lamp cord gauge 14? Thicker the better. Connecting to the battery terminal will be a problem in the long run. Looping wire around the terminal just won't last or at least be secure.

• Like 1

Home electrical cords have cheap insulation that will not hold up to heat or chemicals (fuel, oil, fumes, etc) in a car's engine bay. Also, terminals are rated by amp load capacity. The amp rating of a household 120v plug is probably ok, but unless it fits snug, I wouldn't use it. So while your fix seems ingenious, it's actually pretty dangerous.

Your best bet is to hit up a wrecking yard and peek into the engine bay of every Japanese car of the same era. Clip a few off and add them to your spares.

You could always delete the connector housing altogether and crimp on some ring terminals and go straight to the battery (with fusible links in-line).

I'd call that an awesome trail fix though.

• Like 2

Here's a new fusible link,I have bought from this site before.I have a brand new Nissan fusible link for my 85 720,but it is not for sale. They have 2 for sale,get both of them.The metal piece does not come with it but you can make one.https://datnissparts.com/fusible-link-datsun-nissan-720-diesel-pickup-truck-sd22-sd25-also-fits-z22-with-mods-24022-36w11/

Edited by Thomas Perkins
7 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I wouldnt do it either.... I'm surprised the inside wire on the extension cord is large enough... 

Personally I'd just replace the connector.... 

Even just a solid connection with proper gauge wires for the extension would be better

Maybe cut out the long spades completely from the vinyl on the AC pieces and solder them to proper wires to ring terminals, then shrink wrap over all of it? Or maybe just suspend it all in a glob of silicone sealant? Is that dumb?

The problem I have is finding long spades to go into those three slots. The AC plugs fit so they're literally all I can find to work with.

Sorry for all the questions, I grew up in a family that didn't even have a power drill. Definitely going to leave my kids with at least a little bit of know how.

2 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Here's a new fusible link,I have bought from this site before.I have a brand new Nissan fusible link for my 85 720,but it is not for sale. They have 2 for sale,get both of them.https://datnissparts.com/fusible-link-datsun-nissan-720-diesel-pickup-truck-sd22-sd25-also-fits-z22-with-mods-24022-36w11/

I actually have one from that site still new. They just don't have the metal clip that connects to the battery lead. Seems nobody does, so that's what this workaround is for, just to connect the good fusible link I have to the battery.

13 minutes ago, ProJect said:

I actually have one from that site still new. They just don't have the metal clip that connects to the battery lead. Seems nobody does, so that's what this workaround is for, just to connect the good fusible link I have to the battery.Your right,when I bought 2 from Nissan years ago,they didn't have the metal piece,but mine was still good and I took it off and put it on the new one.I will look around for you.I had to use them yellow connectors about 15 years ago cause the original one's were goners.They work great.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Home electrical cords have cheap insulation that will not hold up to heat or chemicals (fuel, oil, fumes, etc) in a car's engine bay. 

Good point...

Here's what I have put together today:

tC29CGE.jpeg

P7t9g6l.jpeg

0GhTvsq.jpeg

XeQS1wk.jpeg

CS1SED3.jpeg

What do y'all think? I used automotive 10ga wire, automotive shrink tube and ring ends... still using the household prongs but soldered them heavily. They sit tight in the link and there's no exposed metal.

Maybe overkill, but I think it'll work great. 

Thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1