Engine swap

Rusty Dawg

Howdy,

After having continued issues with my recently rebuilt Hitachi carb and an increase of smoke coming from my J13 engine, I am seriously entertaining rebuilding my current engine or if possible, swapping out for something more modern.  I have an extra engine I could possibly rebuild and simply swap it out.  My current J13 bolts up to the original transmission which I would like to leave alone since it shifts smoothly and is the only original drivetrain piece in this PLG model truck left.

Cheers!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The truck is not original so you have choices, I had a 1965 Datsun 320 I put a A15/dual SUs/5spd in and it was a blast to drive, but the heater core was on the inside of the cab, I think yours might be in the engine compartment so if you don't have the room in the engine compartment that the 320 has that is also liklely out.

Next is the J15, it would likely bolt in, but they are not that easy to find and maybe the transmission is not up to that engines power.

Next is the J13, since they are not that popular most including me scrapped them out without saving any parts, I did that on 2 trucks as both of them the engine was not complete, I had another but sold the engine to a guy with a J model 521.

E1 engines are likely very hard to find but that would bolt in also if one can be found.

I have personally seen and took photos of a 320 with a VG30 in it, that was a major conversion, and the guy found a carb manifold for it and a distributor from Saudi Arabia I believe, the tunnel and floor pan had to be altered to get it in there, but the engine did fit in the engine compartment, I do not believe the firewall was modified but I really don't remember anymore.

What is the extra engine you have?

What is available in the area you live?

Edited by wayno
  • Thanks 1

The J18 was used in Mexican built cars and trucks like the 620/720. At under 70 hp for the J13 a 40% displacement increase would mean the J18 makes in the neighborhood of 90 hp. The F4W63 was used through the 70s with L20B engines and survived 90 hp. If this isn't being drag raced or carrying loads as a work truck it should survive a J18. If you find a J18 'south of the border' try to get the transmission with it.

I've heard there may be a 5 speed that may have come with the much later 80s J series engines used elsewhere in the world.

7 hours ago, wayno said:

The truck is not original so you have choices, I had a 1965 Datsun 320 I put a A15/dual SUs/5spd in and it was a blast to drive, but the heater core was on the inside of the cab, I think yours might be in the engine compartment so if you don't have the room in the engine compartment that the 320 has that is also liklely out.

Next is the J15, it would likely bolt in, but they are not that easy to find and maybe the transmission is not up to that engines power.

Next is the J13, since they are not that popular most including me scrapped them out without saving any parts, I did that on 2 trucks as both of them the engine was not complete, I had another but sold the engine to a guy with a J model 521.

E1 engines are likely very hard to find but that would bolt in also if one can be found.

I have personally seen and took photos of a 320 with a VG30 in it, that was a major conversion, and the guy found a carb manifold for it and a distributor from Saudi Arabia I believe, the tunnel and floor pan had to be altered to get it in there, but the engine did fit in the engine compartment, I do not believe the firewall was modified but I really don't remember anymore.

What is the extra engine you have?

What is available in the area you live?

Hey Wayno,

I purchased a J13 head a year ago since mine was badly cracked and the guy also had a J13 engine which I purchased.  I actually wound up using the head on the engine since it was much easier to repair.  I also have been eyeing a 1965 320 which has the original E1 motor complete in it.  He is asking stupid money, but it has sat for 18 months and he is now selling the property.  Maybe he just wants to get it gone.  I am just not sure what to offer him, but I had planned to call him this week even before I started thinking about shit canning my engine.  As for gasket sets, I have someone in OR that has a complete set for the J13 that he is willing to part with shall I need it.  My local machine shop guy has some Datsun parts, although none for either of these engines.  He is very well versed in MG's and thinks that what he has on inventory, we can come up with internal components for the J13.

In the meantime, I wonder if I just have someone go thru my carb to be able to drive it around while awaiting a rebuild or should I just spend the money on a carb that I will eventually use on my rebuilt engine.  Not sure what carb I would be looking to replace my current one.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The J18 was used in Mexican built cars and trucks like the 620/720. At under 70 hp for the J13 a 40% displacement increase would mean the J18 makes in the neighborhood of 90 hp. The F4W63 was used through the 70s with L20B engines and survived 90 hp. If this isn't being drag raced or carrying loads as a work truck it should survive a J18. If you find a J18 'south of the border' try to get the transmission with it.

I've heard there may be a 5 speed that may have come with the much later 80s J series engines used elsewhere in the world.

Wayno mentioned that the heater core was in the engine compartment, but I believe the heater fan sits in the engine compartment and the heater core under the dash.  I really have not spent much time on checking out the heater set up since I simply flushed it out a year ago and capped it....I never had planned to use it.  If I decide to drop in another engine, what I want to make sure I do is keep the current transmission set up with the column shifter.  This truck is my weekend cruiser that I pick up groceries in or do very light duty things in it.  Is a J15 and/or J18 the same length as my J13?  I don't want to have to make modification to things such as engine mounts and such.

Thanks

You can easily get all rebuilt parts/gaskets for J engines from Forklift supply warehouses online: 

https://allforkliftparts.com/EPModels.php?model=NISSAN+J15+

320 factory carbs are a toughie. You can buy a replacement accelerator pump plunger cub and hand cut all of the gaskets but in my experience they still don't work that well. There is no rebuild kit available. I hate to say it but the cheap Chinese J15 carbs on ebay are the way to go. The linkages are cheap and one I purchased had a blockage out the gate. But once I blew it out with air and carb cleaner, tuned it, made sure the linkages were right it's worked like a charm. I had an exhaust shop make an adapter so I can run the factory E1 air cleaner. The throat of the J15 carb is a little wider than the factory carb. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

You can easily get all rebuilt parts/gaskets for J engines from Forklift supply warehouses online: 

https://allforkliftparts.com/EPModels.php?model=NISSAN+J15+

320 factory carbs are a toughie. You can buy a replacement accelerator pump plunger cub and hand cut all of the gaskets but in my experience they still don't work that well. There is no rebuild kit available. I hate to say it but the cheap Chinese J15 carbs on ebay are the way to go. The linkages are cheap and one I purchased had a blockage out the gate. But once I blew it out with air and carb cleaner, tuned it, made sure the linkages were right it's worked like a charm. I had an exhaust shop make an adapter so I can run the factory E1 air cleaner. The throat of the J15 carb is a little wider than the factory carb. 

Howdy,

What engine did you install that carb to?  You most likely are not aware, but should I assume that I will need to make some modifications to the linkage in order for it to work on my current J13?

6 minutes ago, Rusty Dawg said:

Howdy,

What engine did you install that carb to?  You most likely are not aware, but should I assume that I will need to make some modifications to the linkage in order for it to work on my current J13?

I put the carb on a J15. It also bolts up to the E1 the only mod is the for the air cleaner housing. I don't think you'll need to make any mods to your linkages other than a little pull or push to make throttle cable pull smoothly. I also replaced some of the retaining clips/cotter pins which are all available at ACE Hardware. The linkages are cheap so don't be surprised it something comes apart while you're putting it in. But for $80 shipped, after messing with these carbs for 6 years, I think it's the best solution for a reliable driver. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Rusty Dawg said:

I also have been eyeing a 1965 320 which has the original E1 motor complete in it.  He is asking stupid money, but it has sat for 18 months and he is now selling the property.  Maybe he just wants to get it gone.  I am just not sure what to offer him, but I had planned to call him this week even before I started thinking about shit canning my engine.

So that guy never sold it. Surprise...

Go make him an offer before he pulls the old "if I can't sell it, I'll junk it" move. I've had that happen to me before.

2 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

I put the carb on a J15. It also bolts up to the E1 the only mod is the for the air cleaner housing. I don't think you'll need to make any mods to your linkages other than a little pull or push to make throttle cable pull smoothly. I also replaced some of the retaining clips/cotter pins which are all available at ACE Hardware. The linkages are cheap so don't be surprised it something comes apart while you're putting it in. But for $80 shipped, after messing with these carbs for 6 years, I think it's the best solution for a reliable driver. 

Very well 320 Newb, thank you.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

If there was a five speed that bolted to the J motor, then it would also bolt to a BMC B series engine. MG guys would have likely found that out by now.

• Like 1

Weber 32/36 carb is what I've got on our E1 and wouldn't take for it. I've got one that is destined for the 1978 620 'Longbed' in near future. I jetted it down a size or two per recommendation from Pierce Manifolds. An adapter plate would be needed and Pierce may have that. I'm sure that the adapter plate for the A-Series engine can be made to work. Lots of members on Ratsun have the Weber 32/36 on various Datsun/Nissan vehicles and they're a very popular Go-To on many 2 Litre and smaller vehicles.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Go make him an offer before he pulls the old "if I can't sell it, I'll junk it" move. I've had that happen to me before.

Nope, he took it off of LetGo, but it's still sitting there.  Just not sure what to offer him.

38 minutes ago, difrangia said:

Weber 32/36 carb is what I've got on our E1 and wouldn't take for it. I've got one that is destined for the 1978 620 'Longbed' in near future. I jetted it down a size or two per recommendation from Pierce Manifolds. An adapter plate would be needed and Pierce may have that. I'm sure that the adapter plate for the A-Series engine can be made to work. Lots of members on Ratsun have the Weber 32/36 on various Datsun/Nissan vehicles and they're a very popular Go-To on many 2 Litre and smaller vehicles.

Would the Pierce MGB manifold work? I think they are only $150.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Promoting a 'fire sale' makes people think that the price is already distressed. Same with 'having to move'. Guy appears more desperate and open to offers. The trick to sales is to get the customer into the store.

4 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Would the Pierce MGB manifold work? I think they are only $150.

Pierce manifold works fine but it moves the carb away from the engine a couple of inches because the choke assembly interfers with the rocker cover if mounted in normal orientation. The Pierce manifold carb base doesn't mate up with the heat-riser cavity on the exhaust, so you loose carb preheat feature. I used the stock manifold and an adapter plate to fit the Weber and turned the carb around backwards and it looks like it was born there. I did jet the carb down a couple of steps per Pierce's advice. I have a machine drawing for the adapter plate that I could post. I believe that the adapter plate for the A-Series Datsun engines can be made to work to adapt the Weber to the E and J-Series manifolds.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

I was just looking at a J15 as well as a Weber 32/36 carb and noticed the base plate is mounted with 4 bolts.  My manifold only has 2 mounting holes.  There must be a conversion plate, no?

Edited by Rusty Dawg
  • Like 1

Can I see some pics of your manifold? I've never seen a manifold on a J engine with only two bolts. I have a couple of E1 manifolds that'd bolt up to your J13 and the J15 carb would bolt up. I'd be happy to sell for cheap + shipping. The manifolds are in Phoenix AZ.

If you post lots of pics or email me I'll talk to you about pricing on that 320 you're looking to buy from the hoarder. My email is moses.thompson@gmail.com

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Just reached out to the guy with the truck for sale for $4,500 and he said he would take $4K for it since it's rare.  I made him an offer well below and he told me he had passed on an offer for $3,500 several months ago.  I mentioned that if he still had the guy's number he might want to reach out and take that offer.  I told him my offer stood if he changed his mind.

5 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

Can I see some pics of your manifold? I've never seen a manifold on a J engine with only two bolts. I have a couple of E1 manifolds that'd bolt up to your J13 and the J15 carb would bolt up. I'd be happy to sell for cheap + shipping. The manifolds are in Phoenix AZ.

If you post lots of pics or email me I'll talk to you about pricing on that 320 you're looking to buy from the hoarder. My email is moses.thompson@gmail.com

Will do Moses.

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

If there was a five speed that bolted to the J motor, then it would also bolt to a BMC B series engine. MG guys would have likely found that out by now.

I have put a 5spd onto a J block, I made a plate and did all the work to have it work, but it would not likely fit in an MG, Andrew(Bannahammok) and Von(JJ to me) both have 5 speeds in their 411 cars and have for a while now.

Here is a J15 block I have with a 71b shortshaft connected to it on a universal engine stand I built, this engine has a Weber on it.

DSC00188.JPG.ec724038882ef1747cff07dd5eced59b.JPG

DSC00187.JPG.f3bddf51c2312bbdca1fcf78aa295f88.JPG

I have an MG electronic ignition distributor on this engine also which works with the E1 and J13 blocks also, I even figured out how to have electronic ignition on my positive ground 1963 Datsun 320 kingcab I made using a stock generator, Mike Klotz figured out the Matchbox distributor for the E1/J13 block a long time ago, I just with luck involved figured out the MG Midget/MGB distributors would also work, there is a thread about this and the plate I made on Ratsun, but with the changes made to this site I have no my content to find them without going thru a page at a time to find them if I am looking in the right section to start with.

This is how I mounted my weber on my E1 engine.

DSC00189.JPG.008bb935f72c69cf94d035c473610f4a.JPG

This is a passinger side photo with the stock generator and MG Midget electronic ignition distribtor installed.

DSC00192.JPG.19051afbc70ea493738c99cbab7a7bb0.JPG

DSC00191.JPG.4379dbc36b1ed680bd01a1a0e8c7f2f8.JPG

And here is the Crane Cams module that made positive ground electronic ignition possible, although MG made positive ground E1 distributors also.

DSC00194.JPG.7ee372645b37930de5e78d117ffd83e6.JPG

There are a lot of things that the MG has that can be used on E, and J blocks.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

This is my J15 manifold, it appears to be the same as the J13/E1 manifold.

DSC00198.JPG.5fadcd1a7270d023e3799e50236083db.JPG

• Like 1