Keep the faith..!

JK510

So after a week of setbacks with my car build, I almost decided to give up and sell the lot, however I had a root around the parts dept today to try and remotivate myself.

Here is some of what I've got waiting for when the body is ready for it...gearbox, wheels, front coilovers, and Nismo compe anniversary wheel are still with the car. Still working on aquiring a few more bits and bobs, but have decided I'll keep going 😄

JK

Parts-Dept.jpg

• Like 8
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, KELMO said:

Man, that is a purty collection so far.

I think I spy a roof rack in that pic.

Yeah you are right, I had the roof rack blasted and painted last year, it should look good on the car I think...🤔

JK

• Like 1
On 1/30/2022 at 12:05 PM, JK510 said:

So after a week of setbacks with my car build, I almost decided to give up and sell the lot, however I had a root around the parts dept today to try and remotivate myself.

Here is some of what I've got waiting for when the body is ready for it...gearbox, wheels, front coilovers, and Nismo compe anniversary wheel are still with the car. Still working on aquiring a few more bits and bobs, but have decided I'll keep going 😄

JK

Parts-Dept.jpg

You laid the brake master on the wrong side in the pic!!! 🤣

• Haha 1
On 1/30/2022 at 2:05 PM, JK510 said:

JK

Parts-Dept.jpg

BRE Interpart ad_000108 (Large).jpg

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

This was never going to be a build thread, I'm no good at stuff like that but in case anyone is interested here, after deciding to 'Keep the faith' and continue with my little car, are the latest pics 😄

A couple of it stripped and ready to go for an acid bath and then a couple post dip

I'm quite happy with the result after dipping, I expected holes but floors look great, on to the next stage soon I hope 🙂

I may update this again at some point 

JK

Pre dip 1.JPG

pre dip.JPG

Post Dip 1.JPG

Post dip 2.JPG

Post Dip.JPG

• Like 5

Have you seen the green primer patch panels from kfvintagejdm.com?  We use all of his Z car panels.............we will NOT use any other panels unless he doesn't have something!  The Australian patch panels are decent, but expensive to ship (at least here to the USA).  FutoFab's panels are repops of OEM panels..........no smaller patch panels, but decent quality.  Please do not waste your time on the Canadian panels from Wolf Steel/Alfa Parts...........they are horrible fit & quality!!

That left side upper trunk rail rust is ODD..........don't think I've ever seen that!  Might that rear 1/4 have been replaced at some point?

Looks like a good solid shell! 😎

• Like 4

Thanks Yenpit, and yes I have seen KF's stuff, but the guy who's doing my metal work is confident he can fab anything we might need, so hopefully I won't need any panels..!

The car was a South African import so it could have had anything done to it at some point in it's life over there.

At least doing it this way there will be no hidden surprises or patching over rust only for it to appear again in a few months.

Cheers,

JK

Edited by JK510
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, JK510 said:

Thanks Yenpit, and yes I have seen KF's stuff, but the guy who's doing my metal work is confident he can fab anything we might need, so hopefully I won't need any panels..!

The car was a South African import so it could have had anything done to it at some point in it's life over there.

At least doing it this way there will be no hidden surprises or patching over rust only for it to appear again in a few months.

Cheers,

JK

For us (restoration shop), if a patch panel is available, it is almost always cheaper to buy & install, instead of hand fabricating.  The 240Z kfvintage panels are so much better than anything else that has been on the market over the last number of years, that is all we will use, as long as we can get it!  If a panel is not available, then we have no other option but to hand fab or cut out a USED section!  That said, you likely have more experienced "coachbuilders" in the UK, that sometimes work on the cheap! 😎

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, yenpit said:

If a panel is not available, then we have no other option but to hand fab or cut out a USED section! 

Im having flashbacks of making shit panels into cherry panels because there was no other option....

lol cuz sometimes a bogged up fender full of old bondo worms on the backside is the best you got 

• Like 4
On 9/8/2022 at 5:30 PM, yenpit said:

you likely have more experienced "coachbuilders" in the UK, that sometimes work on the cheap! 😎

Well I wouldn't say he works on the cheap exactly..... 💰

But I came to terms with the cost versus the finished quality before committing to the build.

JK

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Well it's been very slow progress here in the UK with my 510, but I got an update yesterday with a few images showing some of the fabrication work being undertaken, pictures (before and after) attached, not in any particular order though, sorry.

It looks really good quality work, sadly I've resigned myself to the fact that it won't be ready for Le Mans Classic in July. Oh well always next year....😔

Cheers,

JK

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

Edited by JK510
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, JK510 said:

Well it's been very slow progress here in the UK with my 510, but I got an update yesterday with a few images showing some of the fabrication work being undertaken, pictures (before and after) attached, not in any particular order though, sorry.

It looks really good quality work, sadly I've resigned myself to the fact that it won't be ready for Le Mans Classic in July. Oh well always next year....😔

Cheers,

JK

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

Looking good.

• Like 1

😎

7 hours ago, JK510 said:

Cheers,

JK

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG