Anti Theft

Would love some input for some anti theft ideas for my 74 620, im out here in Los Angeles and not in the best neighborhood and im a little anxious about bringing the car home, Im currently looking at a quick releases for preventative measure and a gps tracker for post. I guess ideally id get a parking space in a watched facility but truth be told that's not in my budget right now. What have y'all done?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick release steering wheel??? Inconvenient carrying a wheel around when home or out shopping. Someone may steal the wheel!!! Kill switch, easy and quick to use. In a pinch I would pull the plug off the ignition switch to disable it. Not easy to see and not expected. Put sign in window "Door unlocked, No radio"

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Quick release steering wheel??? Inconvenient carrying a wheel around when home or out shopping. Someone may steal the wheel!!! Kill switch, easy and quick to use. In a pinch I would pull the plug off the ignition switch to disable it. Not easy to see and not expected. Put sign in window "Door unlocked, No radio"

yeah after sifting through the thread I landed on a kill switch seems cheap and effective and I was planning on building a custom center console so I can make some cool little hiding spot for it, plus its such an easy job I can do it myself with confidence 

• Like 2

Disconnect the 4 way emergency flasher and wire the kill switch into it. Probably illegal but who would know or check?

No one smokes today so gut the cigar lighter and use it for a kill switch. Push in for ignition pull out to disable.

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 10:42 PM, ratboi3000 said:

Would love some input for some anti theft ideas for my 74 620, im out here in Los Angeles and not in the best neighborhood and im a little anxious about bringing the car home, Im currently looking at a quick releases for preventative measure and a gps tracker for post. I guess ideally id get a parking space in a watched facility but truth be told that's not in my budget right now. What have y'all done?

The "watcher" will most likely just watch while your vehicle is plundered.  After all, your car isn't worth his life.

Besides parking your car in a personal secure garage, there's nothing you can really do to deter someone from breaking into your car. 

The biggest problem to worry about IMO is getting it stolen. As a couple other people pointed out here a killswitch is a good idea for peace of mind, but even then I've seen people cars towed. 

If you have an iPhone the cheapest thing for a complete peace of mind would be adding an Apple AirTag - and they're like $30 a piece and last a year without a new battery. Hide it somewhere like in your backseat / under the carpet and then track down the fucker that touched your stuff. 

Example here:

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2
On 12/28/2021 at 7:22 PM, flatcat19 said:

Always leave the doors unlocked.

If you've ever owned a convertible, never lock the doors. Assholes will slice the top open and that costs a lot!

If your neighborhood is real sketchy, consider 2 kill switches, one in a terribly inconvenient position for those times you just ain't feeling so safe.

38 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

If your neighborhood is real sketchy, consider .....

... twisting a wicked coil on the driver's seat.

Put a sign in the window saying door unlocked, no stereo, no change on the floor.

• 5 weeks later...