Tranny fluid

robert.davis

I think i fixed my leak but im in another pickle. I cant find fluid i seen on another thread that i need gl4 fluid i cant seem to find any 75w-90 or 80w-90 that is gl4 everything i find is gl-5 i see one that says its suitable for nonsynchro manuel trans requireing gl4 any advice on that??

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Takes about 2 liters to fill the 71B transmission. I use about 2 foot of garden hose and a dollar store kitchen funnel run down from beside the engine starter. 

Don't let any counterman try to convince you that GL-5 is a replacement for GL-4.... it isn't. Or that it gives better protection of the gears... it does.... BUT there are 50% more sulfur containing anti scuff additive quantities in the GL-5. (which is OK for differentials that a/ do not contain any copper alloy syncro-mesh rings and b/ need the extra protection for gears that transmit motion through a 90 degree bend) Anti scuff additives in the amounts used in GL-5 oil is not good for copper/bronze synchro-mesh rings.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I seen this one but the recommended is 75-90 i wanted to bump up to 80-90 bc i figure with 250k miles my tranny probably pretty worn, you dont think 85 would be too much 

• Like 2