PL310 Bluebird

HOGIE

I bought myself another project. Here we go again. Maybe I’ll actually work on this one. We’ll see....

Was tipped off that this 1960 PL310 Bluebird was sitting in a field about 25 minutes away. My buddy knows that I’m an idiot for anything early Datsun. There was no question I was going to buy it. 

The owner had a bunch of 50-70’s Domestic cars and this was the only Datsun. I offered $800, deal. 

This is the first pic from the tip off. It’s the ‘standard’ model. No trim around windows or down the side. 

8DA996B4-DA5C-4CB8-B27C-120754FB1834.jpeg

Edited by HOGIE
  • Like 4
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Similar to my WPL312 the floors and rockers are rough-to-nonexistent. But I just bought a house with a big enough garage and a new Miller welder. The trunk lid is at the dip shop now and the sheetmetal is waiting on the bench for the first of many patch panels. The original, numbers matching, E (not E1) motor is in that back seat so I’ll have to figure out why someone decided to pull it out. The existing powerplant is J13 matches to the original 3speed column shift transmission. The J13 may stay where it is but we’ll see if the E will survive. 

All the glass is intact. Most of the interior is there, no back bench but no problem. 

Let the fun begin. 

I’m going to start with:

- Clean and assess. Figure out what’s here and what gone. 

- Remove all the bolted on panels, have the parts stripped and do sheetmetal repair. 

- Find parts along the way. I already found some so 👍😎👍

- Rebuild E or freshen up J13. 

- Frame off. Maybe SPL311-312 brakes. That might be my only option actually. 

- Dip the whole shell and finish metal work. Bodywork and Paint. Stock 2-tone cream on red maybe paint is pretty far out on the timeline. 

- Upholster the interior and assemble.

Picture on the dash and stock shift just because. The dash on these is a little different than the 312/320. 

366E7483-AE9C-41E1-A1D2-7046C75DBE3A.jpeg

Edited by HOGIE
  • Like 5
2 minutes ago, Draker said:

Looking forward to your progress. Happy to come snap off some bolts with you.

Yes! Dude come see me. 

The 310 won’t have a dedication space in the garage until frame off happens but I plan to make steady progress with the trunk, doors, fenders and hood this spring. Those panels are really in fair shape so should have no excuses for not being ready to pull the shell by early June/July. 

If the bolts don’t break I’ll torch them off. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, slowlearner said:

As they say on Cold War Motors... "floor delete". 🤣 😨

I applaud your enthusiasm. A lot of work ahead. 

These cars are small so it’s less work, right? 😂

I really can’t wait to do all the metal work, body paint and full restoration. I’m ready for the adventure. 

Edited by HOGIE
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, HOGIE said:

These cars are small so it’s less work, right?

I really can’t wait to do all the metal work and full restoration. I’m ready for the adventure. 

What can I say, I'll be putting some popcorn in the microwave. 🍿  There are few things I fear more than a bare metal resto. 

• Like 1

Did some digging yesterday to pull all the parts out of the car and clean out the many years of neglect. 2 5-gallon buckets of nasty had collected on the floors but I found this pile of various part. It’s mostly the parts for the 310 but the are some random J13 parts from when they did the motor swap

CF3A40F6-25CE-432E-AD90-A13F60BE70DE.jpeg

Edited by HOGIE
  • Like 2

Here are a few pictures of the floors. The only part of the original floor pans that weren’t patched by a gorilla is the section where the front bench and e-brake bolt to the floors. 

2275F0E4-919C-4B9E-9ADF-75D9F9AFC28A.jpeg

7229FD6E-A1AA-4B18-AE5B-8F383F264BB7.jpeg

25A28EED-11AD-4E36-8F4A-E0D5E0862D90.jpeg

3C341AF8-97F2-45AD-A7BA-484CA9EF031A.jpeg

Edited by HOGIE
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, slowlearner said:

Well I will say one thing, it's mostly just big flat panels. Not too complex to patch new things into. 

Those seats look super deluxe! 🤣

The bench seat will definitely be getting spring and cushions upgrades. This is the bench I reupholstered for my NL. A bit more deluxe for the rearend.C6D2FE86-3716-44D2-B61E-2A80D9C398E0.thumb.jpeg.bb3e919cab6412fcdefbfdb3803e2ef9.jpeg

3 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Those floors are mint 😄

Nice find. looking forward to seeing it get cleaned up

I’ve been following the rust repair work @Marts310blbrd is doing over on oldschool. He’s done some inspiring work to recreate the factory floor pans. He’s done the hard work now I just have to copy it

https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/60267-marts-pl310-61-datsun-bluebird-sedan/

• Like 2

That's a pretty neat build.

Are you familiar with Fitzees Fabrications on YouTube?  He does scratch built body work with simple hand tools.  I'm a big fan of his channel.  It might be something worth looking into for techniques and ideas.

6 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

That's a pretty neat build.

Are you familiar with Fitzees Fabrications on YouTube?  He does scratch built body work with simple hand tools.  I'm a big fan of his channel.  It might be something worth looking into for techniques and ideas.

I’ve watch a few of his videos. Good stuff.

I’ll be working on the truck lid first. I need to drill out the spot welds holding the inner structure to the exterior sheet metal. The inner structure is a double panel so I’ll likely separate those too. Slow and steady. 

EDAD5CB6-1CB5-4C39-AA21-7A5B625966AE.thumb.jpeg.06711c166a774153a45c6a33ce2cf636.jpeg

F4003375-E78E-43F7-A5DD-8E4B8F909987.thumb.jpeg.2c0bd98d2c63067cc0907ea1038752b2.jpeg

24FF1B4E-A5F2-4A37-BAA4-4DEEBF872561.thumb.jpeg.287354c6cdd92f61491aacf91061dc07.jpeg

1C7FE89D-9F38-49A1-8DF5-E6D558E245A7.thumb.jpeg.d113f740435691a7cc41c7cb16fd5081.jpeg

• Like 4
On 1/30/2021 at 11:29 PM, HOGIE said:

I’ve been following the rust repair work @Marts310blbrd is doing over on oldschool. He’s done some inspiring work to recreate the factory floor pans. He’s done the hard work now I just have to copy it

https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/60267-marts-pl310-61-datsun-bluebird-sedan/

Thanks for the mention of my project! Speaking from PL310 experience, it's a long haul project. Got any questions, give me a holler. I check into this forum about once a week.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

Nice score! Maybe you will wind up with some surplus parts to share with others at a reasonable cost. I have a small laundry list i've been keeping an eye out for replacing many non-Datsun part substitutes and missing stuff on my own PL310, including: E1 engine fan blade, generator and voltage regulator, starter solenoid (the type mounted on the inner splash shield), rear bumper filler (my PL310 is missing the flat horizontal sheet metal between the body and bumper, see pic below), a couple of stock wheels and a factory radio (working or not).
My Bluebird rust repairs are still in work. Just finished the RHS floor installation last week and welded the outer sill onto the body last night. The only big repair left to do is weld the A-post assembly onto the body.
580427848_Bluebirdrearfiller002.jpg.d74419a09ba5c81e5df986e311436a63.jpg

• Like 1